“It was a wonderful time would love to go there again”
Review of Divi Heritage

Divi Heritage
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Saint James Parish
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at Divi Heritage for our Honeymoom.. We had a great time..The staff was wonderful..they gave us great ideas for destination points on the island from where to visit and eat , we would be happy to go back sooner than later

Room Tip: water front cottages
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank painter1234

Reviewed June 22, 2011

I've been to Divi Heritage 6 times. Each visit starts with a bad tase sorry to say. We make reservations and then we arrive, are told that our room is not ready yet (as in not cleaned) and we are therefore placed in another suite until they can get us into our room. We usualy stay in "Run of the House" suites. These suites are out dated and need a little renovation. There is only one bedroom and then the couch that has a pull out bed. Further the television gives little channels so it is not all that entertaining. For the kitchen, if you are someone that wants to cook on your holiday one or few times then you have to travel with pots and pans if you are willing. All they have is a microwave and they offer plates. But no amenities for the stove if you wish to cook a little meal. There is no pool and for you to get to a pool you can use the adjacent hotel's own. There also is no restaurant so you have to go to outside restaurants. A convenience is that there is a supermarket a few minutes away. But be warned that although they state on the site that they can shop for your goods you requested, it never happens because it always goes back to the problem of them never having your room ready and therefore no goods that you ordered would have been bought.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank barberann
Management_DSW, Administrative Assistant at Divi Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2011

Dear Barberann,

Thank you for your review posted on June 22, 2011.

Apologies are offered on behalf of the Management and Staff of Divi Heritage if we did not meet your expectations.

I just want to confirm that check-in time at the Resort is 3:00 p.m. However, we try very hard to accommodate persons who arrive before the scheduled time. On this occassion, we were unable to deliver such.

On investigating the issues outlined in your review, most of them proved to be untrue and we have taken the time to address the other issues outlined. We thank you sincerely for bringing all these issues to our attention via TripAdvisor.

Again, we sincerely apologize and we do look forward to welcoming you to Divi Heritage in the near future.

Best wishes,

Nicole Byer

Reviewed February 19, 2011

We arrived at the hotel at 3:15 pm fo check-in and were told that our oom was not ready and wouldn't be ready for at last two hours. The check-in woman stated that there was nothing she could do about that and we would just have to come back in two hours!

We came back at 5:30 pm, and our room was still being cleaned. Check-in was advertised at 3 pm. We finally get in our room, and we noticed a strong foul odor outside of our room and inside of our room. We went back up to the reception area and spoke to the same woman and expressed concern regarding the foul odor. She stated, "We have had numerous complaints about that, but it is coming from next door and it is not from us." I stated that I understood that, but that the smell was making us feel sick. She stated that she did not have another room, but that we could talk to a manager tomorrow to see if their other resort had any vacancies. The bathroom was filthy, shower did not work properly and the drain on the tub was broken and it was filthy. The pots were old and rusted. The toilet continued to run when you flushed it. AC was broken. Back door did not lock properly. Unsafe. Walls in closet were mildewed. No silverware. It rained often and large muddy puddles prevented safe access to room. Never saw any security. If you left your back door open to view ocean, strangers that continually walked by and were able to access your room, as lock was broken. The safe in the closet was broken and had no door on it. It was disgusting, and it was not worth $159.00 per night plus VAT taxs of $33.00 per night.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ldemetres
Reviewed February 10, 2011

We met my parents here and stayed for three nights. We basically just wanted to experience being on the West Coast without having to spend $600+/night on accommodations for the 4 of us.

There was people to greet us right away when we arrived and they helped us with our bags to our room, we had a ground floor.

We had ordered from the grocery list so that we would have some stuff in our room and not have to worry about finding a store or anything right away. Unless you have a problem with walking a short distance with a bag in your hand don't do this! Firstly, they weren't in the room when we got there and we had to ask and they took a few hours to get them to us, obviously they forgot and had to send someone to the store that we ended up going to anyways. They then charge you a huge amount for the items that you could have just gotten yourself for 1/3 the price. They charged about $25 (US) for a 6 pack of beer when it's only about $2.25 (US) per beer at the grocery store across the street. We easily walked to the store and got some snacks and beer just across the street near the little mall parking lot. And the cab driver that drove us from the airport to the hotel was happy to make a quick stop for us at the gas station or grocery store on our way as well, just offer them a little more money than you agreed to for the convenience.

It definitely stunk a bit on the side door access as it was right next to the gutters. But every hotel along the beach had these sewer gutters in between, I just think that the entrance doors are unfortunately placed too close at this place. We had the two french doors to go in and out of when we weren't going far from the hotel and the smell wasn't on that side.

The room was very clean, nicely arranged for the 4 of us. Definitely outdated. This place seems like it would have been really nice about 25 years ago. I heard they put all their money into the Southwinds and if they just updated a few of the appliances like the refrigerator and the beds/bedspreads etc. it would be a much cozier environment to live in.

My husband and I slept on the fold out couch and it wasn't comfortable at all and they didn't leave any pillows and when I asked for one they brought me this really huge puffed out pillow that was clearly old and the inside cotton was all balled up. It was unusable. My parents had about 4 pillows on their bed though but they like their pillows and were unwilling to share so, we didn't have pillows unfortunately and I used my airplane pillow. We're young and easy to please though and we weren't paying so I didn't really have a place to complain about that sort of thing. We come from -30 weather and were just happy to be there.

The internet was definitely in and out and seemed to work better when you sat on the front porch outside and worked a little better during the day than at night.

The showers didn't seem to have hot water, not even necessarily warm. But we didn't say anything and were only there for 3 nights and it was hot outside. I think if we would have said something then they might have done something about it?

Also, be warned! They claim that you can use the amenities of the Far more posh resort next door, The Almond. Well, you CAN use them... but for the amount they charge you to use them, you might as well just stay there.

The Almond Beach Club looked like a really nice place to stay, and it's way more expensive and I think an all inclusive. If you want to use their bar you have to buy a pass for $40 US and that doesn't include the drink prices. That's just to use it. There's a fee to USE the restaurant, a fee to USE the pool, etc. A day pass just to USE everything is $100 US. It's not worth in my opinion, if you're gonna pay that you might as well pay just a little bit more and actually stay at their nicer hotel. If you want all that, from what I saw, it was a nice looking place.

But we're not picky and it was an affordable place in a really good location and for three nights we were totally happy with it. It seems like a lot of time share holders stayed there for long periods and they're satisfied with what they've got. it's true, you get what you pay for, it IS right next door to one of the most expensive hotels on the entire island (Sandy Lane) so I mean.... really, what are you expecting?

The staff was always really pleasant, although whenever we asked for something it would take a few hours, maybe the next morning, to get it. Our coffee maker didn't work and I'm a fiend for my coffee and when they brought us a new one the next day it didn't work a whole lot better. I asked for an in-room safe and they kept saying they'd get on it and never did. I was a little annoyed with that but then again I didn't do much about it except ask twice. I should have complained if I really wanted it and made a bigger deal about it and I would have gotten it.

They had a little welcoming party for everyone on Monday with rum punch which was nice.

The hot tub didn't have any water in it and was not in use, but hey... who wants a hot tub in 28 degree weather right! No one seemed to mind and it at night if it rains it was a nice table to congregate around with lights and shelter if there's a "Passing SHower".

The Sandy Lane beach is RIGHT there, except when the tide is in it's a little more difficult to access from the beach line as there is a wall that the waves crash up against. You have to walk out a bit where they are just passing over you and not crashing you against the wall. My parents walked over there the next day though with total ease when the tide went out. And I thought Sandy Lane and the little cove beyond it was one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen.

The Catamaran cruise we took later that week would take us actually to the Sandy Lane Beach for lunch and in the other direction (North) of Divi there is a little beach area where the Turtle information sign is. That is where the catamaran actually took us to swim with the turtles and snorkle around the shipwreck.

You can walk along the beachline to reach Holetown shopping area and there is many restaurants and shops. It's easier to get to from the beach I think, and more pleasant of a walk. But the busses can take you on the road very easily or you can walk the road as well.

We ate at a little place on the beach called Surf Side and it had your basic Flying Fish Sandwiches and rum punch with a great ocean front seating. Casual and low key, inexpensive place for lunch.

Overall the Divi is a very pleasant place to stay and in a fantastic location, not on, but very close to the beach. You can see the ocean from your room and some of the rooms are actually ocean front. It's not as far from the beach as I thought, I didn't even think we could see the ocean from our room before we went from what I looked up online.

Sunset is a big event every night with everyone gathering along the wall for pictures and then everyone sort of mingled around for while until it got dark.

A note on drivers. If you call a cab to take you anywhere, definitely bargain with them. We took a cab to the Harrisons Caves and he charged us $60 Barbados. When we found a cab for our ride home in the Caves parking lot we asked how much and when he said $60 my husband said "$60! (looked over at us and said) Didn't we pay $50 for our ride here?!" and then the driver quickly said "yes, that's fine, $50 is good". Then, the next day when we got a cab to the Aerial Zip line adventures which was about the same distance away the driver initially said it would be $45 Barbados.

We hired a driver to take us to our next hotel that day for $40 an hour. He was a great driver and guide and took us to places we didn't know about, scenic overlooks and stuff and restaurants for lunch. His name is Danny and a girl at the front desk recommended him. When she recommended him she had said $30 Barbados an hour and when I talked to him on the phone to reserve him for the next day he said $40. I should have said "$40, the woman who recommended you said $30". But I'm not as smooth as my husband when it comes to that. But just to give you an example of how you can bargain with them. I can give you his number if you message me.

If you want to stay on the West Coast, on the beach - or at least where the beach is accessible in a 5 minute walk and a view from your room; you don's care about frills like a pool, swim up bar, gym, spa etc; you want a clean and relaxed environment; don't expect any more than a clean, pleasant room to stay in and a great location, then this is a very good place to stay for the price.

You have to be a very easy going traveler and get yourself on Island Time as soon as possible. The Bajan people I think can come across as inattentive to a lot of visitors and I think it's a misunderstanding. Every time I talked to anyone from there they were respectful and very helpful and informative. They just don't do the small talk and cater to you in a fake way. They're on a frequency I think that most vacationers take about 3 or 4 days to get on.

If you find this is a good price and you want a great location and aren't to picky, don't hesitate to stay here and give it a try.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lepidoptera888
Reviewed November 13, 2010

I have been coming here for 20 years I have put up with no water no air conditioning lack of communication. Shabby furnishings broken applicance cracked windows basic living now they don't even bother to change the towels daily.... and they seem to employ a number of " gardeners" who hang around all day doing sweet fanny nothing. The ladies who do all the work are the delightful Marcia and Angela, we had a lovely lady named Odessa but she is not here any more and I can only guess why.. The front desk is run by THE MANAGER Valcia who is NEVER available she often " just pops out" !!!!!! do not even think that you are getting a bargain this is not worth paying for....

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank riddgehillbabe
Reviewed November 10, 2010

A friend and I stayed at Divi Heritage for four nights recently. Granted it was during Hurricane Tomas so nothing was "normal," but even taking that into account this is not a place I would recommend staying and I would certainly never stay there again. In its favour: it is right on the ocean (though the beach is almost non-existent) and within walking distance to restaurants, stores, etc. and it is one of the few resorts where you don't have to take an all-inclusive package (and as a result it is quite cheap - you get what you pay for!). And the rooms are quite spacious; ours had a small kitchen and a bedroom and two bathrooms. But they are extremely shabby and in need of a good cleaning and some fixing up. The water pressure was not good even before the hurricane and afterwards it was virtually non-existent, and there was never any hot water in our room; the shower in my bathroom did not work at all. The housekeeping staff only appeared once to do any cleaning up (and what was done was very minimal). While the staff were friendly they did not seem to be at all prepared and they really didn't care about doing anything about it. For example, the power was off after the hurricane (still had not come back when we left) and they gave us one candle but had no matches, so we had to go to the resort next door to beg for matches. Despite the problems with the hotel, Barbados is a beautiful island and the people are very friendly, so I would return - just not to this place!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank TOwriter
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We were there barely 6 hours when at 7:20 p.m. on Oct 20 I was shaving and my wife was somewhere in our one bedroom suite when I heard what sounded like a fight upstairs, or someone throwing and smashing things. I walked into the bedroom and my wife said "Look at the broken glass on the floor". I approached the window and pulled the curtain and saw that someone smashed through the glass. My wife had seen him lift the window and poke his head in, and when their eyes met he left. Imagine her fright !

So, just so you know there is one guard for security there at night. This break in was BRAZEN and frightening because this individual scaled the side of building to get to the second floor while all the lights were on. Either an unstable person or a dangerous person or both breaks in to a place with the lights on where people may be there. We were in another hotel at 8:30 p.m and wanted nothing to do with any of the Divi properties they may have offered to put us in.

We reported it to security and the police is all we could do.

Joe and Mila

8 mi away
The Palm Garden Hotel
The Palm Garden Hotel
#3 of 3 in Worthing

Been to Divi Heritage? Share your experiences!