We arrived at The House in the early afternoon, and were greeted warmly by a personal concierge. She immediately made us feel at home by installing us into deeply cushioned sofas in the lounge which was open to the outdoors both at the front and at the back which led directly to the pool and the beach beyond. We sipped rum punch, and she began to tell us about the property that would be our home for the next five days. The House has no front desk, no bellmen, no line-ups, no request that is impossible. What they do have is staff that is, to a person, there to help you with anything you desire.
As soon as we were ready, she showed us to our suite on the second floor of the three-story building. An oceanfront junior suite (all the ‘rooms’ are all suites), the room was more than adequate with its recent refurbishments that included a wonderful bathroom, fabulous terrace, and breathtaking views of the surf.
But the service was what really impressed us. For us, service is the top priority when we travel. From the included champagne breakfasts, to the dining at their restaurant Daphne’s, to the wonderful beach with a lounge chair and umbrella for everyone, to the fantastic company (most of the guests were British), This Property did not disappoint in any way.
One day as we sat in our comfortable, cushioned lounge chairs, bottles of water that had just been delivered by the beach ambassador, two women approached us (all beaches in Barbados are public). Evidently one of them had stayed in this hotel when it had a former incarnation. She wanted to know if it had been turned into condos. When we told her no, she asked, “It is reasonably priced?”
This is always a difficult question to answer, so we asked, “How would you define reasonable?”
“Under $200 a night,” she replied.
Perhaps not for her, then, but for us it was – because even at the prices (and it is a bit expensive in the high season), the value is truly there. We will return to “The House.”
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The House experience begins when guests enter along an enchanting private driveway, with lily ponds and walls of blossoming bougainvillea, which capture the essence of tranquillity and the promise of pure indulgence ahead. Through the hotel's wooden doors guests are treated to a stunning and unobstructed view of its white sandy beach and the ocean ahead. The open plan lobby is designed to capture the relaxed and inviting charm of the island - one that is sophisticated, yet informal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Priceline so you can book your The House by Elegant Hotels reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The House Hotel Saint James
- The House Saint James
- The House Barbados
- Saint James The House
- House Barbados
- The House By Elegant Hotels Barbados/Saint James Parish