“Off the beaten track”

Angler Apartments
London
“Off the beaten track”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have just returned from the most relaxing holiday we have had in a long time!

The best thing about the Angler Apartments is the stunning beach nearby. I would say that 90% of the time, we were the only 2 people on it. We would see a few others come and go, but most headed back to their sun-loungers right outside their hotels, after a brief look-in at our quiet beach.
We are keen swimmers and found this ideal as far as snorkelling or just floating in the swells. We saw small eels, interesting and colourful fish, tiny sea snakes, a plaice and a small octopus spilling out of it's hole. Every day in the water was a new adventure for us. The water was crystal clear and made for a superb view every day. The sun sets on this side of the island, so most nights we were blessed with a beautiful sky.

Our accommodation was perfect for our requirements. We were able to cook meals and enjoy them out on the little verandah while listening to the choir of frogs in the evening. Unfortunately Chandra was away due to urgent family matters, but we were well-looked after by Charlie and Betty and of course her friendly dogs came to visit us too. They are beautiful and made the place feel more like home.

The local buses are very regular and we preferred to go into Holetown to get our groceries as it's a one-stop town for anything else we needed e.g. the bank.

I imagine that fussy or high maintenance travellers may not find this ideal, but expectations should be set by the 2 star rating. I would even go as far as to say it is a 3 star in my eyes.

If I went back to Barbados, this is most certainly where I would stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angelique_L0nd0n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Quebec city
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We spent a wonderful week in February 2012. Chandra, the owner, is a very sweet, spiritual person with a strong personality. The place is clean, the apartments seem to come from an old book, I felt there what Hemingway might have felt when he was in the Keys. Something special about that place. A lot of plants surrounding the place, peaceful environment, and the dogs... yes, if you are a dog lover, you have come to the right place. We felt like visiting friends and not like staying in a hotel. Nice food too, Chandra is an excellent cook. So if you are looking for something different, if you want rest in a friendly and cosy place, well you should go there...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick V
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I made an impromptu visit to Barbados from Guyana at the end of June 2012. I was looking for something well-located and reasonably priced since I didn't exactly plan for this 6-day excursion too much ahead of time. I couldn't have found a better place than Angler Apartments! I rented a studio that included kitchen facilities for around $55/night (low season prices with a discount).

The owner, Chandra, immediately gave me lots of tips of things to do, including simply enjoying the gorgeous private beach, just a two minute walk from the complex. She also invited me to join her to visit the weekly farmers' market and to join her on a special adventure tour of Harrison Cave. Though that is not normally part of the deal, my point is that Chandra is a lovely and helpful host. I really enjoyed getting to know her and her wonderful assortment of friendly dogs!

I was very happy with the location--on the calm and quiet leeward side of the island, right on the bus line and just a 3km walk to the nearest town, Holetown. For those on a budget, you can go grocery shopping in Holetown and take the free shuttle back to the apartments.

I loved Barbados and my stay at Angler Apartments was just perfect! If you are budget-minded and like me, appreciate the benefits of a smaller, friendly place, you can't go wrong with this place. Enjoy your trip!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the garden are quiet and come with a nice semi-private sitting area on the wrap-around...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank KMac8
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Chandra has a great place running here. It was not busy at all when I visited, so I had the whole place to myself almost! Rooms are quaint, comfortable and clean, and I loved having my own private veranda at the front of the little apartment. Chandra was really helpful with advice and services in the area. Her cooking was AMAZING. She cooked me an Indian vegetarian feast, felt like I had a personal chef! The private beach is small but nice if you want to sunbake without interruptions. This is definitely the place to stay if you're looking to travel on a budget and to have a more personal experience than staying at a huge luxury hotel (and you can just sneak into their beachfront bars and deckchair areas without actually being a guest anyway!).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank T H
Arbon, Switzerland
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Is't a very nice apartment with a relly lovlely owner. She has 6 dogs which are so lovely. The accommodation is the best place in Barbados. It's not expensive and you are in a few minutes in every Place. She has a private Beach too. This beach is the best one you will find all over. Even the beaches from the expensive HOTELS around are so beautifull. The room is beautiful and very clean which a beautiful place for sitting outside and relax. I will recomend it to everybody. Many thanks and see you soon. Rubén y Daniela from Switzerland

2 Thank Ruben P
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2012

After being let down by Virgin at the last minute we needed to find alternative accommodation. I booked the Angler apartments through lastminute.com. The apartments were very good value, clean, well appointed and the location was great. One day I forgot to put the travel wallet in the safe (there was a substantial amount of cash in it) however, when we got back everything was intact.
The only down side was that the owner Chandra has 5 dogs.The dogs barking woke us up early most mornings. They also climed up on the outside patio table trying to get in, therefore it was difficult to sit outside. Generally everything was fine.

1 Thank Dawn469
Bloomingubrg, NY
Reviewed March 17, 2012

The very modest room was clean and had a small kitchen so we were able to make our our breakfasts and other meals (including fresh fish bought nearby ). The bus line was a block away so we could get everywhere without a car. The beach was also a block away although we walked a few blocks and swam and snorkeled at beautiful Payne's Bay. The owner, Chandra, was helpful in orienting us and also is a fabulous cook if you'd like meals there. The location was quiet and we enjoyed hearing the birds sing. It helps to enjoy dogs as Chandra has rescued a number who live with her.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint James Parish
#1 of 4 in Sunset Crest
Round Rock Apartments on Sea
Round Rock Apartments on Sea
#42 of 72 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Angler Apartments? Share your experiences!