“Nothing compares to Sandylane”
Review of Sandy Lane Hotel

Sandy Lane Hotel
toronto
“Nothing compares to Sandylane”
Reviewed May 29, 2009

This was our third trip to Sandylane still as perfect as ever. The only problem is once you stay here you never want to go anywhere else. The standards of this hotel are unbelievable .

Rooms have been updated new plasma tv's, beautiful rooms and patios. Beds are really comfortable. Restaurants renovated with a new chef and menu - excellent. I found the food quality was very good, very fresh and buffets were much better than previous years.

Staff remains very friendly and helpful without attitude. The beach is one of the best in the area; facilities and services are great (the gym is amazing; spa services much improved from last year).

This hotel is great for couples as well as families as the staff is very good with children. We are planning a return trip to Sandylane next year but this time with our son.

Yes it is really expensive but l have not found another hotel that can match this one.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TorontoSpagirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Czech first
fodonnell
Reviewed May 13, 2009

This place is absolutely awesome! It is a great place to get away from the real world and relax! The service and locals are extremely nice and the cleanliness is immaculate! We were waited on hand and foot; dinner reservations, spa treatments, rental car reservations, were all made for us. Food excellent, lot's of restaurants to choose. Beach was tremendous, great place to relax and enjoy the beach. The rooms were very clean. Service at the beach was fantastic!. We have never been treated so well, everything was handled with the most sincere care. Obviously this is a very expensive place with wonderful pools, beach and the . The golf courses are breath taking. It was a stay we will never forget.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fodonnell
London
Reviewed April 2, 2009

I stayed 10 nights at the Sandy lane with my husband and my 4 months old baby last January 2009.

When we landed, we could not find the representative of the 'Sandy Lane' at the airport. I went outside and saw two ladies in their blue uniform along with some customers at the taxi queue. I felt we were waiting as if we had paid for a random holiday club. We had asked for a big private car so we could fit in the suitcases and the pram. We have been told on arrival to share a cab with other people and that our luggage would follow!! Finally, they got us a private cab..but too small so I had to carry the pram seat with my daughter on my lap for 40mns!!!!!!
Our first impression was not so great..
I wrote an email few weeks prior to our arrival in order to specify few requirements (microwave in the room, dietary concerns, nanny booking).
The room requirement were met but not the 2 other ones.
I got a nanny who turned out not to be available 2 days out of 10 when I specified I wanted the same nanny for the entire stay so my baby could get use to her. Instead of telling me from scratch they did not have a nanny available for the full stay they lied and finally she was not available for 2 days. Lucky they found me another one much better (Cheryl) who I highly recommend . I spoke to the general manager in order to raise that issue as the manager of the kids club was not very nice to me and would not even apologize. He seemed very concerned...actually not so much as when we left the hotel, he would not even dare saying goodbye!!!!
We eat kosher so we specified in an email which selected fished we can eat. We ending up eating tuna most of the time hence had to book at the Cliff and other restaurants to get a bit of variety. The last day, they finally got a dover sole (we were very happy!!). I wanted it grilled but the waitress insisted on us eating it the way the chef had prepared it. Fair enough. It was so oily I got sick all night! The food otherwise was very good and the wine list amazing (huge choice and very well priced). The sommelier (shaun?) was very knowledgeable and friendly.
The swimming pool was the opposite way of where we were staying. Not very convenient to access it with a pram (stairs).
There are 2 parts on the beach: a shadowed and a sunny one with no trees. We stayed by the shadow because of the baby but found it very dangerous because of the small apples following from the trees. The staff on the beach was extremely friendly and efficient too. The restaurant staff was very genuine and smiling.
The spa was great with a huge variety of treatments.

The hotel overall is a nice hotel but not a fantastic one with a clientele of regulars who likes to be treated as regulars..
I personally would not go back as it is very overpriced for what it is. I actually do not understand why people go back there every year when you have great hotels with a proper service in the Bahamas (one and only) and the Maldives (Soneva Gili).

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank Felie_A
new york
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Simply put, the resort is beautiful, beach is nice and rooms are very nice - all to be expected at the super high prices being charged. I have been there three times now, so yes I am a repeat customer. HOWEVER, the food quality is average at best but the prices for food is outragous and insulting... I go back because my family enjoys it but hey they aren't footing the bill. This likely is my last visit to the resort however.
The staff are nice and helpful, restaurant service is not good and the wonderful buffets they used to have are now worse than a $12 vegas buffet but at 10 times that price.
The chairman of the resort uses the place as his personal playground so if you want a table to listen to music and only one is open, that is usually held for him and the same goes for the restaurant. so, at these prices guests come second to the chairman and his vacation needs - just know that going in.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
15 Thank davidm1836
Surrey
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I've just read, with great interest, a negative comment made by Harris01 on January 3rd, 2009 regarding Sandy Lane Hotel in Barbados.
What a load of HOGWASH.
My family and I have been visiting this Hotel since they re-opened in 2001. We come two to three times a year - including every Xmas/New Year and Easter.
First, the statement that the New Year's dinner costs 2,500 BBD is totally wrong. The actual cost per person for this fabulous event is 2,009 BBD plus just 10% service charge. The service is The Best. The food is The Best. It is not "a little buffet type dinner service". It's an enormous spread of every type of food one could desire. The party does move to the Terrace after the New Year's dinner and there are plenty of seats for everybody. The owners do NOT take up 60% of the space.
This person speaks of Mr. Desmond "who walks round the hotel telling the staff to move guests from seats" - Not True. There happens to be just ONE table reserved for the owners. Insofar as guests moving down to Four Seasons - what a Joke LOL - Four Seasons isn't even built yet. Then there's the statement about 'the rooms have fallen down hill" - another falsehood. All the rooms were re-furbished just three months ago. We certainly never had a single problem with "electrics not working in the rooms".
As a regular resident of this Hotel, it always looked pretty full to me which is amazing considering the state of the world economy.
The owners, in particular Mr. Desmond, could not be more hospitable to all the guests. They and the entire staff bend over backwards to please everybody.
One has to wonder whether or not this person actually stayed in Sandy Lane or gate-crashed which quite a few people unsuccessfully try to do because there are many celebrities who stay in Sandy Lane every Xmas/New Year and, naturally, security has to be tightened.

• Liked — The Comfort - the amenities - the cleanliness, spaciousness and Great Staff.
  • Disliked — More closet space needed
1 Thank CaribBeachlover
London
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I've never submitted a hotel review before, but was compelled to respond by another reviewer's criticism. This hotel was amazing over the time we spent there for Christmas, there's almost nothing I'd change given the chance.

The setting is great, the service was tremendous the entire time, and the food the best we've ever had in the years we've been going there. The owners? From what I can see they demand no special attention and melt into the background with no fuss. Can't imagine how anyone could say differently.

What can I complain about? This year's weather was slightly mixed, but tough to blame the hotel for that. Other than that i couldn't disagree more with the reviewer who slammed it - I challenge anyone who stays there not to love it.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Coming home
1 Thank LondonSunlover10
LONDON
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Just finished a two-week stay over Christmas been going there since it re-opened and this was the best yet. New Bajan Blue beach restaurant is the right mix of quality and beach elegance. Revamped spa is just amazing and full of fantastic treatments. Guest policy worked this year with outsiders limited to guests of residents so the whole holiday felt like one big intimate house party .

• Liked — view of the sea from the rooms
  • Disliked — nothing!!! love it all.
1 Thank sunworshipper33
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,271 reviews

Been to Sandy Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!