“Strangely wonderful if slightly strange”
Review of Sandy Lane Hotel

Sandy Lane Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Strangely wonderful if slightly strange”
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the world's great hotels, but not in the sense of the Savoy or George V... The location on its own bay with enough land for three golf courses stretching back behind the hotel is wonderful. You are, however, removed from any but the most general sense of being on Barbados. And most of the guests are money or media.

The staff are low key and friendly, apart from a slight tendency to whip away your plate before you've quite finished the last mouthful. Obviously enough, the food is mostly amazing and if you don't want to eat at the hotel then Carib and The Cliff near by are both world class in their way.

Our vast balcony looked out at the sea and the horizon, and watching the sun set each day across the water was something I'll remember forever.

An experience (probably to be repeated).

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank StamfordRaffles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Czech first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I am surprised Sandy Lane has not made the list for Trip Advisors best hotels. The service and amenities are fabulous! The food is incredible. The ease to pretty much do anything on or off the property is refreshing as the concierge and the staff treat you like royalty whether you are a first time visitor or a returning guest. Every detail seems to have been considered. My husband and I travelled to Sandy Lane for our honeymoon and then went back for our 20th Anniversary...I am still dreaming about our experience almost 1 year later. If you can afford to get to Sandy Lane it is well worth it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dorothy K
Reviewed June 5, 2014

A truly top class property for Barbados. Have visited before but not stayed until this year.
The manager, Randy, is ex Cobblers Cove (when it was good) and before that he was Sandals. He understands what wealth wants and he makes sure the wealthy are happy.
It was clear to me that they were running on a skeleton kitchen crew or at least were lacking a senior chef.
Overall, I think the hotel is very good. I don't think it compares well to say a 5* Dubai such as Ritz or One & Only, but it is certainly the best hotel we have stayed at on Barbados.
Sandals is coming soon, so maybe they will need to do a refurb to put the upstart in it's place - no doubt the rates will go up, but that might be a good thing and necessary if they want to keep their badge of exclusivity.
The private jet service looks good, particularly since the First Class BA offering on this route is poor.
Will I go back? Maybe. But if it does go to a higher price level the Maldives looks like a better option.

Room Tip: I only saw two rooms, both in Orchid on 3rd floor facing the Ocean. They were excellent, spacious, p...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike D
Essex, England
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We returned to Barbados as we love the people and the climate and decided to give Sandy Lane a second visit. Maybe as it was a different time of the year (May not Feb) things seemed much better or maybe as we were in a 2 bed suite rather than one room. We did get turn down this time when we went out each evening although on our last night they were changing the sheets at 9.30pm which we think should be done in the daytime. Also my husband was asked to change out of his smart shorts into long trousers at the managers cocktail evening although another man stood there the whole time in shorts! Rules are ok if everybody abides by them.

The beach service was much improved with flags now for service whereas before we were given a buzzer that never seemed to work, Mark and John stand out for their friendliness and attentiveness.

We found a lot of the guests were repeat guests as we were and not all are friendly, a previous post said some people think they own the place, we would smile at some and they would look straight through you! Obviously this is outside of the hotels control but frequent guests please do not act this way and do not come to breakfast in your sweaty gym gear.

Excellent food and service at breakfast, Rehanna was our favourite, lovely lady. My favourite cocktail Monkey in the Tree still tasted good and what can I say about the spa, went 6 times and could never get bored of it. Felt very at home in the end, all therapists although different in their little ways were great. Coral on the desk even loaned me some tweezers as I had forgotten mine.

Did get a little building work noise from the villa next door which is huge and fabulous and I think will always be having something done (a bit like my neighbour) but we did not let this distract us just kept the doors closed and went on the balcony when they had gone home.

Randall and Mario the management are very easy to talk to and do all they can to make your stay enjoyable and no doubt we will be seeing them again in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MickeyBEssex_England
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for May Half Term with wife and kids aged 9 and 7.

Everything was perfect starting with the priority pass through immigration to our waiting car. The rooms and balconies are huge and cannot be criticised. The food is lovely as is the beach , pool and kids club. Our kids disappeared for hours on end to play with friends at at the club where the staff were perfection . Indeed all staff without exception made our stay so memorable.

As well as a magnificent hotel there are countless top class places to eat within a 5 minute drive from the hotel . So much variety makes the stay even better . On nights we did go out without the kids the babysitting was excellent.

We will most definitely come back for a third stay. Well done Sandy Lane - you are setting the bar very very high indeed.

Stayed June 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Yes it's pricey but its perfection everywhere. Personal escort from airport to hotel, management waiting to welcome you, and willing to do anything to make your stay perfect...perfection. I cannot say enough great things about our stay. My husband & I stayed here to break up our travel from st Vincent to US and even though we stayed just 2 nights, we were treated as if we were royalty. The food was excellent, the cocktails were tasty, and the hotel was flawless. Employees were always nearby checking to see if we needed anything or just asking how everything was going. When room service was going to be 5 minutes later than what they had told us, they called, apologized and I formed us it would be an additional 5 minutes. The spa was incredible. My husband & I went from room to room to enjoy everything that was offered (sauna, steam room, cold room, bucket drop, hydro pool, cold mist shower). We also both had great massages. Pool & pool service was superb. The beach was great also. The rooms are all technology. Touch screens control lights, drapes, TV, fan, AC temp, etc. The shower was awesome; It had 2 main shower heads and 6 body sprayers. Overall it's pricey but it is worth it in the details & in the service. Well done.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nolamkb
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Whilst visiting my daughter in Barbados we decided to try afternoon tea and have already decided that it will become one of our traditions whenever I visit.

Tea was served on the Lower Terrace. We decided to have the "Classic Tea" and was advised by one of the waiting staff that it was enough for two people. It consisted of Scones, Petit pastries and desserts, cakes and both finger and open sandwiches. It was just as I expected it to be - delicious. The staff were very attentive and friendly. The overall cost was 110 bds including service charge - excellent price for such a prestigious hotel. Booking is advised. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and one I am sure will be regularly repeated.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Little Arches Boutique Hotel
Little Arches Boutique Hotel
#1 of 51 in Christ Church Parish
Fairmont Royal Pavilion

Been to Sandy Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!