“Sandy Lane paradise”

Sandy Lane Hotel
Oslo
“Sandy Lane paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Reference previous reviews from visits at Sandy Lane, we returned again this summer, and being back at this paradise, all expectations were met- the standard of the the hotel, restaurants, food, management, people, golf etc - you will not find any better- anywhere, sadle up and go !

Room Tip: All rooms we ever stayed in are superb, and with the little extra, ocean view should be selected. If...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Czech first
vilamoura
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

What can you say, from the time you arrive to leaving, you are treated like a king. They make you feel special every minute of the day and night.

Thanks to all the staff, you were great. The food and Sunday Brunch is a must. The expensive of the hotel, well not as bad as we thought.

The rolls pick up was great too. Go and get to Sandy Lane.

Thanks guys, see you next year.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Slightly belated review, we returned from our second trip to Sandy Lane in six months in June. Our first trip was last November and I was traveling with a broken leg and struggling to walk.
From the moment we arrived at the airport, throughout the whole holiday the staff could not have been more helpful, from the Management team who where always on hand throughout the day, to the bar staff, beach front staff, restaurant staff etc, this place runs like clockwork and is worth every penny. I was so impressed that I wrote personally to the Management on our return a letter of thanks.
The nightly turn down service is actually a full clean of your room, we were on out terrace one evening and noted that it took 40 minutes and the room was left immaculately, they even tidied up all of our personal things.
The rooms and bathrooms are amazing as is the whole hotel building. The finish is that of sheer luxury.
We took the Spa Break option on our most recent visit which was amazing value for money and encouraged us to experience treatments that I wouldn't have otherwise considered. The Spa and pool area is like nothing I have ever seen.
This is a top class hotel and my joint favourite with Baros in the Maldives.
We will be back.

Room Tip: We had a Luxury Ocean Front room in the seahorse wing, great sea views on the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Washington, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a gorgeous and luxurious hotel and is very popular for good reason. The service is incredible and every staff person is lovely. I have been to a lot of first-class spas and this one is exceptional. The Thai massage was incredible. The golf courses are among the best in the world. The food is very expensive but very high quality. Beach is very pretty and the water is beautiful. However, if you are looking for a couples type place do not go during the summer or during a school holiday. You will be surrounded by children. 60% of the clientele is from the United Kingdom and they all bring their families. Tons of children yelling on the beach, in the restaurants (even in the fancy restaurants). Also beware that they have a different vacation schedule than in the U.S.

My husband and I had left our children home so we could get so rest and get some sleep. The first night we were kept awake by a crying baby in the next room. When we mentioned this to the hotel manager, she upgraded our room to one in a different location and the staff moved all our items to the new room. It was the only open room in the hotel. While we didn't hear the crying baby we could hear the music coming from the lounge area and people outside the room on the walkway to the beach. However, the second room was just steps from the beach and had a lovely terrace overlooking the water

After trying the breakfast buffet on the first morning and being surrounded by other people's children, we decided to order breakfast to our room each morning. This was lovely and included in the price.

Included in the romance package was a five hour daytime boat cruise and we asked the concierge to change this to a sunset sail which was a better option for us as there were no little kids. I saw the daytime sail set out the next morning and it was all families, so was glad we had changed.

I would not have expected nearly as many children in such a fancy and expensive hotel. If you have tons of money to spend and want to take your kids I can't think of a nicer place to go but if you want a more romantic type experience this is not it. They did say that October is much quieter and good time for couples. Also, since they cater to so many Europeans smoking is allowed. They do offer gluten free bread in the main hotel (but not at the pool cafe or golf course eatery) and the staff was able to find out quickly with items on the menu could be made gluten free.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet environment, ask that your room not be located by stairwells and walkways. Beach...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PWtraveler18
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have just returned from Sandy Lane after a 1 week stay.

We had a lovely time. The staff are friendly and efficient. from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave you are well looked after.

We had a luxury ocean view room on the ground floor. I seriously cant complain about anything in the room.

The room service was reasonably fast and always efficient.

I had several treatments in the spa, arguably the best spa in the Caribbean. I found the staff there really good at their jobs.

The food at the fine dining restaurant L' Acajou was great as was the food at Bajan Blue. the sunday brunch was exceptional!

Alison, Jackie, Linda, Liz, Roger, Alpha, Ari (sorry I cant remember all the names) Yvette, were all very friendly and helpful and helped to make our stay truly memorable.

My only slight peeve was the beach. We don't like to feel like "sardines in a can." The beds are close together. The sea was lovely and there weren't many beach boys trying to sell you things, which is a bonus!

If you get a chance, book the Sandy Lane Rolls Royce to take you back to the airport. That was a great experience.

People complain that Sandy Lane is very expensive. We didn't think it was overly expensive, compared to destinations like the Maldives.

Well worth visiting this Caribbean institution!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Hello my TA friends and family!

As Monte always does I will breakdown categories to give you some insight on where this hotel ranks for me. We are a family of three that have travelled to many luxury hotels around the world and now our 3 year old daughter plays a big factor in our ratings of places.

I will admit I'm going to give this place the BEST ever resort for high-end and kid-friendly that we have been to so far. Typically high-end means they don't cater much to kids (or advertise they do :)

They pick you up at the airport and the "pink lady" takes you from baggage to your car. Oh wait Mr. Monte that car is not for you... Its for your luggage. The next car is for your family. Wait a moment, my luggage has its own damn car AMAZING.

Rooms - 5 out of 5: We had a 2 bedroom luxury orchid suite and it was stunning. I actually used analogies with my wife for our top ranked hotel ever (George V Paris) and the details were fantastic. The layout was great as the kids room is all the way by the front door and so in the evening you can actually watch TV and enjoy. Our favorite was the tremendous terrace (mind you we had no ocean view) it had 2-3 couches, dining table, console, outdoor speakers (who has ever seen that?) and everything again controlled by your touch screen remotes in the room. They had exquisite flowers, very nice furnishings (real wood, real marble, etc.). We had a situation with our AC in the kids room, but a champagne bottle and dinner later I started to forget about it.

Kids Club - Score 6 out of 5: Our daughter does attend a school, but she has NEVER gone to a kids club by herself. We are the ONLY parents that are usually sitting with our kid all day playing in the kids club. However, these are not vacation club people, they are real deal loving parents and teachers who run this facility. Within 10 minutes she was given a few crafts (T-shirt making, keychains, stuffed animals, etc.) and she absolutely loved the teachers. We walked away slowly and kept staring and 3 hours later she appeared by the pool back to us with the teacher happy as can be. Every day she wanted to go and eat lunch with the teachers, to be honest it took her 6 months to feel this way back home in school. Pure magic, also one day she make a key chain for my wife's B-day and the teacher said to pick it up the next day. My daughter got sad and the teacher said "forget it, I will stay after and melt it myself and bring it to your room". 7:45pm there she was at our room saying I hope its not a bother this late, but I would never let your daughter down. Are you SERIOUS people, that has nothing to do with training just pure heart and soul kindness. OK, I'll stop before you fall asleep!

Beach: 3 out of 5: So the beach has rocks, leaves, sticks, etc. all over it no matter what time of the day you go. We have seen much better beaches even in the Midwest so that is not saying much. Beach service is great and if you swim out its clean. However for my wife the beach is her passion and she sat at the pool 90% of the time which tells you something. Many people mention wearing aqua socks or sand shoes and I would second that.

Food 4 out of 5: OK so breakfast was spectacular and you can have it in your room at no charge. Not just continental, but you can order 42 omelettes if you wanted its all included and we loved our terrace and sat in our robes eating in the morning. Fresh juices, cheeses, kid friendly pancakes, eggs (100 different ways) all brought with linens and high end china for serving coffee/tea. The reason for the 4 star was the rest of the food was OK, I guess we call it hotel food so it just never is incredible. Don't get me wrong very good and I beg you to get the Bajan hot sauce on the side for every meal... Delicious. I did not think L'Ajacou was superb, so save your money and eat the luxury buffets at night.

Service: 5 out of 5. After the first day you were calling your housekeepers by first name, the General manager and other managers came out to find you at the resort to see how your first time staying with them is going. We had the AC problem and they found me at the pool in the morning to apologize about it. I know things go wrong so I appreciated that. Randy W. the Head guy even took time out to tell me how they are going to fix it long term and apologized as well. Every bartender, waitress, pool guys were always smiling, laughing, and most importantly had a real genuine joy about them.

SPA: Save the best for last, 6 out of 5: 40,000 square feet of pure luxury. If you are staying at the resort you can use the facilities anytime you want. I got 2 treatments one day and went 5 other days to use the hot tubs, sauna, jet beds (in the hot pool). Each treatment room had its own bathroom, beautifully appointed and the most trained staff you will probably find in most parts of the world. Between my wife and I we got 7 treatments (facials, body scrubs, massages, all better than anywhere we have travelled. This is now my #1 spa in the world, did I really just type that.

Overall 5 out of 5: As my title says, this is a WAY OF LIFE. Every person we met was on their 5-7th trip and we will one day say the same. The incredible staff who love their jobs, to the air of class that runs from management to the housekeeping is truly outstanding. We celebrated my wife's birthday and our anniversary that week. They surprised her in the spa room with a cake and sparklers and for our anniversary cake and champagne randomly by the outdoor lobby area. Again everything is done with such high class its contagious.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MonteChicago
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

You want 5 star plus you have chosen the right place I have been lucky enough
To visit sandy lane twice while staying at westmorlands st James
Went for the day loved it staff could not treat my family and I better food was
Was fantastic cakes was amazing if you have booked this hotel lucky you will
Have the best time ever am sure !!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,179 reviews

Been to Sandy Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!