“Great Staff, great food!”
Review of Sandy Lane Hotel

Sandy Lane Hotel
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We have just returned from Sandy Lane after a 1 week stay.

We had a lovely time. The staff are friendly and efficient. from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave you are well looked after.

We had a luxury ocean view room on the ground floor. I seriously cant complain about anything in the room.

The room service was reasonably fast and always efficient.

I had several treatments in the spa, arguably the best spa in the Caribbean. I found the staff there really good at their jobs.

The food at the fine dining restaurant L' Acajou was great as was the food at Bajan Blue. the sunday brunch was exceptional!

Alison, Jackie, Linda, Liz, Roger, Alpha, Ari (sorry I cant remember all the names) Yvette, were all very friendly and helpful and helped to make our stay truly memorable.

My only slight peeve was the beach. We don't like to feel like "sardines in a can." The beds are close together. The sea was lovely and there weren't many beach boys trying to sell you things, which is a bonus!

If you get a chance, book the Sandy Lane Rolls Royce to take you back to the airport. That was a great experience.

People complain that Sandy Lane is very expensive. We didn't think it was overly expensive, compared to destinations like the Maldives.

Well worth visiting this Caribbean institution!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sandy Lane Hotel

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Hello my TA friends and family!

As Monte always does I will breakdown categories to give you some insight on where this hotel ranks for me. We are a family of three that have travelled to many luxury hotels around the world and now our 3 year old daughter plays a big factor in our ratings of places.

I will admit I'm going to give this place the BEST ever resort for high-end and kid-friendly that we have been to so far. Typically high-end means they don't cater much to kids (or advertise they do :)

They pick you up at the airport and the "pink lady" takes you from baggage to your car. Oh wait Mr. Monte that car is not for you... Its for your luggage. The next car is for your family. Wait a moment, my luggage has its own damn car AMAZING.

Rooms - 5 out of 5: We had a 2 bedroom luxury orchid suite and it was stunning. I actually used analogies with my wife for our top ranked hotel ever (George V Paris) and the details were fantastic. The layout was great as the kids room is all the way by the front door and so in the evening you can actually watch TV and enjoy. Our favorite was the tremendous terrace (mind you we had no ocean view) it had 2-3 couches, dining table, console, outdoor speakers (who has ever seen that?) and everything again controlled by your touch screen remotes in the room. They had exquisite flowers, very nice furnishings (real wood, real marble, etc.). We had a situation with our AC in the kids room, but a champagne bottle and dinner later I started to forget about it.

Kids Club - Score 6 out of 5: Our daughter does attend a school, but she has NEVER gone to a kids club by herself. We are the ONLY parents that are usually sitting with our kid all day playing in the kids club. However, these are not vacation club people, they are real deal loving parents and teachers who run this facility. Within 10 minutes she was given a few crafts (T-shirt making, keychains, stuffed animals, etc.) and she absolutely loved the teachers. We walked away slowly and kept staring and 3 hours later she appeared by the pool back to us with the teacher happy as can be. Every day she wanted to go and eat lunch with the teachers, to be honest it took her 6 months to feel this way back home in school. Pure magic, also one day she make a key chain for my wife's B-day and the teacher said to pick it up the next day. My daughter got sad and the teacher said "forget it, I will stay after and melt it myself and bring it to your room". 7:45pm there she was at our room saying I hope its not a bother this late, but I would never let your daughter down. Are you SERIOUS people, that has nothing to do with training just pure heart and soul kindness. OK, I'll stop before you fall asleep!

Beach: 3 out of 5: So the beach has rocks, leaves, sticks, etc. all over it no matter what time of the day you go. We have seen much better beaches even in the Midwest so that is not saying much. Beach service is great and if you swim out its clean. However for my wife the beach is her passion and she sat at the pool 90% of the time which tells you something. Many people mention wearing aqua socks or sand shoes and I would second that.

Food 4 out of 5: OK so breakfast was spectacular and you can have it in your room at no charge. Not just continental, but you can order 42 omelettes if you wanted its all included and we loved our terrace and sat in our robes eating in the morning. Fresh juices, cheeses, kid friendly pancakes, eggs (100 different ways) all brought with linens and high end china for serving coffee/tea. The reason for the 4 star was the rest of the food was OK, I guess we call it hotel food so it just never is incredible. Don't get me wrong very good and I beg you to get the Bajan hot sauce on the side for every meal... Delicious. I did not think L'Ajacou was superb, so save your money and eat the luxury buffets at night.

Service: 5 out of 5. After the first day you were calling your housekeepers by first name, the General manager and other managers came out to find you at the resort to see how your first time staying with them is going. We had the AC problem and they found me at the pool in the morning to apologize about it. I know things go wrong so I appreciated that. Randy W. the Head guy even took time out to tell me how they are going to fix it long term and apologized as well. Every bartender, waitress, pool guys were always smiling, laughing, and most importantly had a real genuine joy about them.

SPA: Save the best for last, 6 out of 5: 40,000 square feet of pure luxury. If you are staying at the resort you can use the facilities anytime you want. I got 2 treatments one day and went 5 other days to use the hot tubs, sauna, jet beds (in the hot pool). Each treatment room had its own bathroom, beautifully appointed and the most trained staff you will probably find in most parts of the world. Between my wife and I we got 7 treatments (facials, body scrubs, massages, all better than anywhere we have travelled. This is now my #1 spa in the world, did I really just type that.

Overall 5 out of 5: As my title says, this is a WAY OF LIFE. Every person we met was on their 5-7th trip and we will one day say the same. The incredible staff who love their jobs, to the air of class that runs from management to the housekeeping is truly outstanding. We celebrated my wife's birthday and our anniversary that week. They surprised her in the spa room with a cake and sparklers and for our anniversary cake and champagne randomly by the outdoor lobby area. Again everything is done with such high class its contagious.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MonteChicago
Reviewed July 14, 2013

You want 5 star plus you have chosen the right place I have been lucky enough
To visit sandy lane twice while staying at westmorlands st James
Went for the day loved it staff could not treat my family and I better food was
Was fantastic cakes was amazing if you have booked this hotel lucky you will
Have the best time ever am sure !!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My lovely wife and I have recently returned from a five night’s stay at the wonderful Sandy Lane Hotel. There are not enough complimentary words to praise the friendly staff, beautiful location, amazing spa, pristine beach, and fabulous breakfast spread.

We arrived at 11:00pm to be welcomed by the late night staff who showed us to our ocean front room...steps away from the calm Caribbean. Even though it was late we enjoyed a bottle of bubbly while sitting on our patio listening to the sounds of the gentle waves washing a shore.

The next day we devoted to getting familiar with the hotel and the grounds. The grounds at Sandy Lane are absolutely beautiful. The beach is beautiful, soft white sand and warm blue water . The beach boys took great care of us, getting our assigned chaises set up each day with towels, water, and an electronic call device. Cocktails at the push of a button!

The breakfasts everyday were to die for. I cannot say enough...perfection! The food and beverage manager (his name escapes me) was there each morning to greet us and ask how our previous day went. All the staff was great and they took pride in assuring we had the most enjoyable experience.

We spent three days at the spa which was one of the most beautiful we have stayed at in all of our travels. The couples massage and deep tissue massages were excellent. The Spa includes an outdoor relaxation area, complete with showers, whirlpool, hot tub, and steam rooms. The indoor relaxation room has drinks, loungers and towels. There are lots of treatment rooms, however, I recommend you call the Spa and book your treatment times in advance as they get extremely busy, we almost did not get in on our last day.

One thing we were disappointed with was the food at the L'Acajou Restaurant. The restaurant is beautifully appointed and the staff very attentive. However, the food was not up to par in my humble opinion. That said we did try the Cliff Restaurant which was a short taxi ride away. Needless to say the Cliff lived up to all it's reviews and accolades. It was marvelous.

Finally, one thing we almost missed was the Fish Market at Osted's on Friday Night. It is a must do. The food is great and the festivities are amazing!

The bottom line the Sandy Lane is amazing and well worth the extra $$$$ for a truly amazing experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RSFBigdog
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Myself and family stayed in a luxury orchid suite and it was fantastic , clean , modern and huge . Everything lived up to what we thought and even though our suitcases had been lost we enjoyed a very romantic 1st night dinner in our bathrobes !!!
Felicia took over our kids and gave us some time off and for our 2 kids who were under 2 they were spoilt rotten !
Sandy lane thanks and we can't wait to come back for longer !

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank londongirl11
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This hotel is beautiful, luxurious and the staff is wonderful. We have been two years in a row and will return every March! The beach is lovely. The breakfasts are amazing! The whole family ( teenagers included) would not miss coming here for the world. Musical entertainment in the evening is always good! It is pricey. The gym is state of the art. Yoga and spin classes are good and spa services are good too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gl0betr0tter21040725
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The roads outside the hotel are a cacophany of car horns, petrol fumes and locals shouting at each other across the street, true Barbados - however, once you cross the gates into SL it's like you have been transported to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

We visited Barbados in February 2013 and my boyfriend's parents booked an afternoon tea for us at the beautiful Sandy Lane. You could not fault the staff, they were warm and genuine and always know when the milk needed topping up or the jam was running low. We had a delicious afternoon tea, it was up there with the likes of Betty's in Harrogate, and the staff even made sure we didn't over-order as they know how large the portions were. The smoked salmon was to die for and the rose print on the tea set was so gorgeous, it was a very English afternoon spent at the world's best hotel.

I can only imagine what it must be like to stay here!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Fairmont Royal Pavilion
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Sandy Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!