“There's a reason The Beatles stayed here...”
Review of Sandy Lane Hotel

Sandy Lane Hotel
Kent
“There's a reason The Beatles stayed here...”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have been a travel agent for over 10 years and fortunate enough to visit many 5* hotel in all areas of the world and I have to say Sandy Lane is quite simply the best hotel I have ever seen. I simply cannot fault it in any way. The rooms are fabulous. They are huge and exceptionally luxurious, the bed is the most comfortable I have ever slept in.

The Spa is beautiful, the treatments are first class and the facilities at the Spa are the best I have seen. They have everything from a cold room, steam room, sauna, numerous different types of showers and even a relaxation room. The gym is very well equipped.

The beach is probably the best in Barbados, and the pool area is lovely. The sun beds are really comfortable.

Both the restaurants were fabulous, William the Sommelier is very helpful when it comes to deciding on which wine will go best with your meal. The food is great and the views over the ocean while you dine are beautiful.

The staff are very friendly and the manager Mario was fantastic he simply could not do enough for us.

If you have any questions please message me as I would happily talk about Sandy Lane all day.

Room Tip: The sea Horse wing is the best location, both the restaurants are attached to it
2 Thank Taylor M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Czech first
UK
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I have recently returned from a week’s stay at the wonderful Sandy Lane Hotel. I just cannot praise the friendly staff, beautiful location, amazing spa & treatments, wonderful beach, fantastic food, luxirous food enough –this resort is just first class….

Beach – The beach is beautiful, soft white sand and warm bright blue water. There’s even a small pontoon you can swim out to (it’s not very deep) and sunbathe on. The water is crystal clear and the beach extremely clean. One thing I would say is there can be quite a bit of coral during the tide/wading into the water. I would recommend beach shoes if you worry about it. The water isn’t deep at all until you swim past the pontoon. So you can amble into the warm waters and wade through without swimming at all. The beach guys will reserve you the same sun lounger each morning so you don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn to put a towel down, however you must be on your sun lounger by 11am to keep it reserved! The guys who run the beach are great, however there is a service button on each sun lounger area (rather than the old way of putting flags up for service which I believe works better). The buzzer system is a little slow, you are better off waving at the beach guys attention to get your drink orders in. Sandy Lane is a private beach so you never get hassled on the beach by beach sellers....however their maybe a paparazzi or two lurking about but they are soon excorted off the premises by security.

Drink – cocktails are amazing! Freshly made and there are some lovely non-alcoholic ones too. Fresh fruit mixed blended juices at Breakfast. The breakfast choice is superb. We drank (mixed) cocktails every day and they were fantastic – you need to try them all on the list!
Food – The food is just first class, we had nearly everything off the menu and enjoyed all of it from Giant King Prawns (you got to try this dish!) to Scallops, Steak & Fries, Catfish…the list and choice is endless. The desserts are just amazing. A Rose Champagne lunch on the Bajan Blue deck on the beach is a must. The breakfast buffet is just amazing, the best I’ve ever seen. All the food is so fresh and just be warned, you will put on a few pounds dining out at Sandy Lane!

Grounds – The grounds are absolutely immaculate and well looked after. I cannot comment on the golf course, as I don’t play golf but it’s supposed to be superb. I know that you get a caddy who will coach you as you play.

Pool – Out of this world! Flowing waterfall, bridge over the middle of the pool, relaxation areas and pool bar. Absolutely perfect, it’s the best pool I’ve ever seen and is right next to the spa/gym. You can have a lunch in the spa area with the cascading waterfalls in the background which is so relaxing.

Rooms – I was in a Luxury Orchid Suite and it was absolutely amazing and huge. It had a long hall way leading to a separate office area with a huge flat screen TV (with it’s own restroom), a huge living room with another large flat screen TV, coffee area, mini bar and desk area with large sofas to relax on. The living room lead onto the garden terrace area, with chairs and a table looking out to the gardens. The bedroom and main bathroom was in a separate room, also extremely comfortable and lead onto another set of double doors leading out to the garden terrace area which had 2 large sofas in that area. The bathroom had a large marble bath, with 2 sink areas and separate shower with power jets. There was also a separate restroom and walk in wardrobe area with a safe. You could get lost in that room it’s so large! The terrace/patio doors open out to a table and chairs and 2 sofas. The room comes with all mod cons, Nespresso Coffee machine, stocked mini bar, key pad activation screen for your room temperature, drapes, lighting and room service.

Spa – The spa is out of this world. The service and treatments are fantastic and you could spend all day there in the outdoor relaxation area, complete with showers, whirlpool, hot tub, steam rooms. The alternative is the indoor relaxation room with drinks, loungers and towels. There are lots of treatment rooms, however, I recommend you call the Spa and book your treatment times in advance as they get extremely busy. I had a few head massages and full body massages which were extremely relaxing. The service is excellent and the treatments superb. You cannot visit Sandy Lane without going to the Spa!

Service – Outstanding, all staff are extremely helpful and friendly. They also remember you by name. They even remembered our favourite table for breakfast and lunch each day. You never get hassled on the beach and the beach staff are very attentive. They will reserve you the same sun lounger for the duration of your stay, so no getting up at 6am to reserve a space! One thing I would say is that they have a new ‘Service’ button on the sun loungers don’t work as having ‘Service’ flags, the poor chaps were wondering round looking to see who’s ‘Service’ button had been pressed! Just give them a friendly wave and they will come over with cold, refreshing towels, food & drinks of your choice. First class service, although remember, the ‘Barbados way’ is slow, slow…. Don’t expect a really fast or rushed service, but you are there to relax after all!

The Cliff restaurant – just a recommendation, we had 1 night reserved at The Cliff restaurant which is only a 5 minutes car ride from Sandy Lane. The location is amazing, over looking the sea. The staff are really wonderful and service is always with a smile. The food is out of this world! I cannot recommend this restaurant high enough – you must at least try it once if you are in Barbados!

I cannot recommend Sandy Lane highly enough for the amazing and exceptional experience we had. Everything is just 5 star all the way and first class. I’ve travelled to The Maldives, The Seychelles & Mauritius and nothing quite compares to the wonderful Sandy Lane. I will be back!

Room Tip: Room 224 leads right on to the steps to the gate to the beach, is close to the Reception area but ve...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank UkPrincess13
houston
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I had a relaxing and truly pampered stay at the Sandy Lane Hotel recently. We were blown away by the impeccable service and attention by the Sandy Lane team, and by the sheer beauty of the hotel and grounds. Every morning, with a view of the ocean, we enjoyed a gorgeous buffet spread of hot and cold breakfast items with eggs made to order. As elaborated by a previous reviewer, Sunday Brunch is not to be missed. And nearly every evening, we took to The Monkey Bar for a nightcap with our favorite bartender, Jamaal. It was our mistake not to have been there earlier on our trip.

I had the privilege of having two spa treatments during my stay. The spa service was beyond exceptional. The therapists definitely know what they are doing! I had the Bajan Indulgence Experience and the Signature Romance Ritual with my husband. The spa areas are kept very clean, but a portion of the pools, showers, and steam are outdoor or have open air entrances. It was nice these areas can be shared with your significant other as they are co-ed. Of course, to some, this can also be a 'con.' Be sure to bring your swimsuit! Although the general pool is not heated, the hydrotherapy pool in the spa is and can be enjoyed by staying guests without booking treatments.

Barbados has clear waters and the beach at Sandy Lane was all we needed to enjoy them. How can anyone want anything else when all you have to do is push a button for a Bridgetown Colada or Monkey in a Tree? I could sit for hours on that lounger under that pink umbrella.

We reserved an orchid room on a high level and got a view of the ocean beyond the trees. We felt like the stay was pure luxury and on-point especially with the included technologies, the nespresso machine, the generous patio space and lounging furniture, the gorgeous bed and linens, the body nozzles in the shower and spa bath tub, and the faultless housekeeping and turn-down service. Everything, including their choices in furniture, floral arrangements, bath robes and rose scented soaps were beautiful and added to a restful stay.

Please do not forget to have dinner at L'Acajou. The meal and service from the cocktails up to dessert was outstanding.

The hotel can also help you with your bookings for a catamaran trip, car rental, and restaurant reservations.

The staff at Sandy Lane deserve a standing ovation. Thanks for providing us with much care and attention from the time of booking to the end of our stay. Although we enjoyed our off-property excursions, we were always so very thankful to be returning back to the Sandy Lane at the end of the day.

Yes, it was expensive, but at the end of it all, my husband and I agreed it was definitely worth it.

Room Tip: We loved our orchid room on the 4th floor.
Berkshire
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am the President of the Restaurant Association of Great Britain and have been to Barbados over 20 times. I was very much looking forward to my trip to Sandy Lane as I had heard so many great reports about the hotel. London being the food capital of the world I am accustomed to dining in some of the most sought after venues and was very much looking forward to the many culinary experiences Sandy Lane has to offer. I was not disappointed. Breakfast daily was an extensive buffet of food heaven and even each evening's cocktails were accompanied by wonderful canapés. We experienced room service once - staying in purely to sample yet another of the gourmet experiences Sandy Lane has to offer but moreover we just didn't want to leave the hotel! There was a cocktail party on the Tuesday night which is hosted by the General Manger each week. What a lovely idea! Everyone attended and mixed with each other. The one evening we managed to drag ourselves away from Sandy Lane was to dine at The Cliff, which is an experience not to be missed when visiting Barbados. Bajan Blue is the more casual restaurant in the hotel (no shorts in the evening though!) which we dined in several times. There was a fantastic tandoori evening which we enjoyed immensely. Another night we dined in the more formal restaurant L'Acajou which was truly amazing. My wife had the aged fillet steak which she said was the best she ever enjoyed - melt in the mouth. I had the linguine with clams which was stunning. But enough of the food. The hotel itself is just wonderful. Fantastically well appointed with your every need met, the staff are incredibly friendly and professional and you really get the sense that everyone loves working there and are very proud to be part of the Sandy Lane experience. The General Manager Randy Wilkie and his second in command Mario meet every guest on arrival (with welcome drinks and chilled towels!) and one of them will see you off when you leave. This is a touch which we were not expecting at all but hugely appreciated. From the word go we felt very welcome and an overall feeling about the hotel is friendliness. After eight magical days we were loathe to leave and have talked about it much since we returned to London. We have promised to make this very special place a permanent feature in our annual holiday calendar. One last point is the hotel offers an unpacking and packing service which I highly recommend!

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean front room which I highly recommend!
2 Thank BobbyDBerkshire
London
Reviewed June 16, 2013

On the 1st of January this year I booked a holiday at Sandy Lane in Barbados in early June to celebrate our 3 year wedding anniversary. I then commenced the countdown to June, made all the more urgent and exciting by the appalling Spring weather in London. When being excited about something for so long, the experience can sometimes be a little disappointing. NOT SO IN THIS CASE!! We were greeted at the airport by wonderful Sandy Lane staff and whisked off to the hotel where we were met at the door by the General Manager of Sandy Lane, Randy Wilkie, the Resident Manager Mario Bevilacqua Von Gunderrode. Both two of the warmest kindest people you will ever meet. Very impressive. The experience continued to meet all expectations, from a celebration cake in our room on our anniversary followed up in the evening when we returned from dinner by a rose petal strewn room and bed, including a recently run bath surrounded by candles. Every day was like a perfect advertisement for Sandy Lane - beautiful one day, perfect the next. The standard of the hotel is faultless, nothing is ever a problem, and everything is presented in front of you about a moment before you start to think you might want it. The setting is absolutely divine, the hotel itself beautiful, elegant, and incredibly well appointed. The food almost goes without saying but it is top notch. It has a world class spa and gym with classes on every day. Personal training if you want it, water skiing, wake boarding, literally just say the word and it will be yours. They even have a John Frieda salon. I went there the day of our anniversary and received the best blow dry I have ever had before in my life. I bored everyone about it for the rest of the week and it lasted until the day we left when I returned for another one to last me a week in London. Incredible! And in heat and humidity. I didn't think it was possible. So to sum up, Sandy Lane is now by far and away my favourite luxury hotel in the whole wide world. I'm now back in London and working hard to achieve my goal - to earn enough money to spend every Christmas at Sandy Lane!!! It's nice to have something to work towards.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 218 which is ocean front and has a beautiful balcony with seating.
1 Thank IdaLondon
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Pure Luxury great rooms, stayed in the Orchard room in February and last year in an Ocean room and both are great! food was fab the service was great and the Golf courses are brilliant!

But and it's a big BUT, it's expensive very expensive! To play the golf courses you have to pay and it is a bit pricey even the Old nine is dearer than most 18 hole courses and in no better condition than the Barbados municipal! however the Country Club and Green monkey are in mint condition but again seems expensive for hotel guests!

Live with that and you will have a fab time!

Room Tip: Orchard rooms are the least expensive but they are very good and the views are also good
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ed256
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just over 4 hours flight from New York and you are transported to paradise. Greeted by Owen one of the many wonderfully friendly staff, the hotel is only 30 mins from the airport. The passionate and dedicated management make a point of personally greeting every guest of the hotel - with a chilled eucalyptus towel. You quickly find it's the little touches that they think of every step of the way that make your stay at Sandy Lane so memorable. The rooms are spacious with wonderful views of the virtually private beach. They are serviced a couple of times a day so your room always feels as new perfect as when you first arrive. The staff attend to you with a proactive approach to service. Remembering who you are, what you like, offering you a drink without you having to ask, anything to make your stay feel completely effortless, and quite decadent. The food offering is fantastic. The breakfast buffet is probably one of the best I can remember. The Sunday Brunch is an event not to be missed, catering for all tastes from sushi and seafood to a suckling pig and even Yorkshire pudding. And the fine dining, L'Acajou is exquisite. Starting with pre dinner drinks - bellinis and rum punches, and delightful nibbles such as truffle popcorn with goats cheese wafers, you know this experience is going to be special. We were lucky enough to meet the chef Stuart Ralston, who has worked in London and New York and under great names such as Gordon Ramsey. He talked us through the menu which always adds meaning. My friends had dry aged steak which they said was the best steak they'd ever had. As recommended by Stuart I had a wonderful avocado and crab linguine - with no pasta in sight, the linguini was made from fines ribbons of chilled avocado. Amazing. I then had black cod in miso which was beautiful. The chocolate soufflé looked fantastic, but we opted for the mango and coconut sorbet... A lighter option given the bikini lifestyle; ) which leads me nicely to the beach. It's a quiet, almost private beach, with soft white sand and perfectly clear water. They offer full service - you can get your lunchtime pina colada with a press of a button. And if lying lazily all day looking out to see is simply too relaxing for you, try the water sports - jet skiing and water skiing or go the spa for a top class treatment. And sadly, when its time to leave, the always-on management are there in the beautiful flower filled reception to bid farewell to every single guest. Once you've experienced Sandy Lane you begin to think back and compare past hotel experiences and that's when you understand why people continue to come back year on year. I've fallen in love with the hotel's pink elegance, the truly wonderful staff and the magical island that is Barbados. I can't wait to get my next fix of Sandy Lane.

Room Tip: If you can, book a room with a sea view, it literally feels like you have a private beach on your ba...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,272 reviews

Been to Sandy Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!