Was fascinated to try Sandy Lane en route to another Caribbean island. You hear lots about the hotel. Is very hyped. However, always a believer that you should try (most things) at least once.
So this is what the hotel is really like:
- Lovely situation, neo colonist architecture (combination between a plantation house and Caesars Palace), in good nick
- Rooms absolutely fine, great terrace, a good Four Seasons type of quality (but not more) if you know what I mean
- Restaurants good although I do bore of buffets, which is what they seem to have an awful lot of
- Great swimming pool and beach area is really relaxing, you will not be disappointed on these fronts
- Staff variable, some very grumpy particularly when it gets busy. Others very charming. Not uniform. That's human nature but sometimes a bit grating
- The most fascinating bit is the people who stay here. Clearly many regulars. But, how shall I put this...lots of new money guests. And you certainly hear them and see them. This place is too brash for well heeled guests who like more sophistication, more discretion and have less of a need to show their money
- Sandy Lane is swarming with a certain type of Brit who may reside in Brentwood or Chester, a bit over-whelming and not very cosmopolitan (at least for what we are after)!
Having said all this, is probably the best place in Barbados and if you haven't tried it, then I still recommend staying for at least two nights. You will either love it and return repeatedly or hate it, but enjoy the amusing aspects of the place all the same. No one is loser!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elegant and exclusive, Sandy Lane is set in an ancient mahogany grove overlooking a 1000 foot crescent of gorgeous white sand beach. Accommodations include 112 rooms and suites as well as a stunning 5-bedroom villa. With a magnificent 47,000-square-foot spa, four restaurants, six bars, nine floodlit tennis courses, beachside service, 45 holes of championship golf and The Treehouse Club facility for kids and teens, Sandy Lane will cater to your every need. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ and Travelocity so you can book your Sandy Lane Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandy Lane Resort
- Sandy Lane Barbados
- Hotel Sandy Lane
- Sandy Lane Hotel Barbados/Saint James Parish