“Relax in style”
Review of Sandy Lane Hotel

Sandy Lane Hotel
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We spent a week at the Sandy Lane hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hotel, surroundings, rooms, and facilities are first rate. Service is outstanding - particularly in view that this is the Carribean and not Asia. The food was excellent in the fine dining restaurant and pretty good (but not excellent) in the general restaurant. All in all an extremely enjoyable experience, and we will come back again. The only drawback is that everything is about 30% over-priced compared to other top notch international holiday resorts. But that is probably the premium you pay for staying in the best hotel in the Carribean and the darling of the UK establishment.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank frki

Reviewed March 11, 2013

WOW. This was truly a remarkable experience. We returned back to freezing cold blight on the 28 th Feb and can't wait to go back. The staff and management were exemplary and pandered to all of our needs and more. I would like to give a special mention to Warren Yachting and in particular Chris and Captain Richard who made the sailing experience something else. When we return we shall definitely be going back on the magnificent catamaran called Seaduced. Can't wait to get back.

Room Tip: Any room not just a sea view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carl L
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Sandy Lane scores on so many levels it is difficult to summarise its many qualities.
Location is near perfect, the seductive entrance and elegant terraces frame a breathtaking beach and sea view. The rooms are large and opulently designed with that same stunning view.
l'Acajou serves Haute cuisine in a beautiful setting with a cocktail bar that could be lifted from the Ritz.
What takes Sandy Lane to a higher level though, is the warm and helpful attention of the staff who are obviously very well trained but with that natural Bajian charm. This is as good as it gets!

Room Tip: Do some research as there are some rooms near the construction site of a villa at one end of the Hot...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian R
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We decided we would have Sunday Brunch at Sandy Lane whilst in Barbados and as I had taken part in the Barbados Run Weekend and my last run had taken place at 5.15am on a Sunday, I thought it would be a great treat for both me and my husband. WE WERE NOT DISAPPOINTED!!!!

We had ordered a taxi from our hotel on the South/West coast and to be honest it was a little honda van thingy and a little on the embarrassing side, but when we arrived at Sandy Lane we were made to feel very welcome by the gateman and welcoming party in reception irrevelant of our mode of transport.

We were taken down the fabulous outdoor marble staircase onto the patio and then through into the Bajan Blue restaurant where the buffet was set out. We were offered an aperitif whilst being guided around the immense buffet before being shown to a fabulous table on the outdoor patio.

Our server for the day was a fabulous lady (who's name unfortunately I can't remember - sorry!) she was so helpful and there was nothing that was too much trouble for her. Other servers also looked after us and again were fantastic.

Hubby and I decided we would just leave one another to their own devices and we went our separate ways when choosing our food. There were lots of different food stations, fish, spicy food, sushi, salad, sunday lunch, desserts and lots more I've probably left out. I love a good buffet and this was out of this world, so I tried a little of everything and I wasn't disappointed with the quality or taste of any of the food. I remember thinking that the lettuce leaves looked painted they were that green and succulent looking.

When I got my dessert, I came back and saw hubby had a small fresh fruit tart on his plate and happened to mention how yummy it looked. No sooner had I said this than a waiter appeared out of nowhere with a plate holding 3 of the mini-tarts. He said he didn't want me going home without trying one of the fabulous tarts. Our main server had noticed we hadn't been to the outside grill area and enquired if she could get us anything. We were so full we said we couldn't fit any in and declined her offer. There was another server who when seeing a family arrive for lunch went over and they hugged her and welcomed her like a long lost friend. The maitre d', on noticing me melting in the heat brought over a fan for me to use and our server organised us a table inside away from the sun where we could enjoy a coffee and brandy in the shade. I can honestly say that the waiting on staff here are THE best I've ever seen. Not at all pushy, but at the same time offering top notch service. It just shows that it can be done.

This was our Christmas treat to one another and we will DEFINITELY be returning for Sunday Brunch and possibly a spa visit on our return to Barbados in Nov/Dec 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sylvana123
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Oh Sandy Lane, how I wish I was there again. I was so lucky to have a spa appointment at Sandy Lane's Spa on my birthday. It was rather last minute and they were so accommodating. The massage was awesome. You have to try the brown sugar massage wrapped in banana leaves. The pool next to the sauna and chill room is the best. Plus you have these vibrating chairs in the pool where you can just sit and enjoy a massage in the pool. The spa is excellent. I got a massage for my birthday and felt like I was the only girl in the world. Everyone was so friendly and polite. The food was great to. Flying fish and sorbet for dessert.
I wish I could be there again for my birthday every year.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Roxanne L
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I so wanted Sandy Lane to become our regular spot for February but alas we would not rush back. Barbados is a beautiful island with absolutely lovely people but for us the hotel let us down. We arrived and were greeted by the lovely pink ladies who showed us to our taxi (note luggage goes in a separate people carrier) got to the hotel whereby you receive a lovely welcome from management and staff and are shown to your room for check in. This is when things started going wrong for us. We were told we would only have this room until 11am next morning whereby we would move to another room at 3pm! This has never happened to us before, if all the rooms are the same in Seahorse wing we can only assume a regular guest wanted this room which was central having a nice view and our next room was at the end. The credit card charge went on the first room and was processed again on the next room. We also felt we were living out of a suitcase for one night as we couldn't get unpacked and felt very unsettled and anxious about where they were putting us next. You only get one chance at making a first impression and this totally put us off.

We eventually got settled in our next room and went down to the pool, the water was ice cold and therefore not much of a pool scene just lots of children and a nice pool bar nobody swam up to. We therefore moved to the beach but were told it was not open until 10 am and all beds at the front were gone! When my husband spoke to the head guy he suddenly found us somewhere at the front and explained it was the drink service which started at 10am, I was definitely told to sit on the terrace and read my book and come back at 10am. There are buzzers to attract attention but these were very hit and miss, we often got up and got our own drinks at the bar where we found the barmen excellent.

As it rained quite often the marble floors which look great became as slippery as an ice rink and both my husband and I fell over. Other guests asking how we were explained they had fallen the previous year and a carpet runner had been added but the area is large so take extreme care. One gentleman even wore trainers not flip flops because of this.

We went out each evening to some lovely restaurants which we booked before our holiday (see my restaurant reviews) but upon returning still had not had turn down. Apparently this can be up to 10.30 which with a child is not acceptable. We put our dnd sign on at 9.30 so only got turn down twice and this is when they bring water in plastic bottles. There are glass bottles of Evian in the mini bar but the tops come off far to easily and we suspected they were being refilled. Once we returned to our room for some relaxation at 3.15 only to find them only just making the beds, maybe being at the end is the reason for this who knows but not impressive.

Turning to the positives, the rooms are large although we did not see the Orchid rooms, clean and bug free, large beds, very soft toilet paper, loved the electronic controls for drapes, lights etc. My family loved the jet skis, turtle and fishing boat trips the locals on the beach sell. Also enjoyed the managers cocktail evening every Tuesday as you can chat and get to know other guests.

Our stay coincided with a carnival 2-4 in the morning of our first night, not ideal and whilst we got a letter saying it was outside the hotels control we sat in reception watching the cleaners as we could not sleep, An election was also held whilst we were there which meant no alchohol could be served during the day, we went to our room for a beer so not a huge problem but we were not allowed to bring it down to the beach to drink. Also there were some very strong waves for several days due to spring tide.

Please note no shorts at the hotel after 6pm, we only found this out on our last night as we had been out every other night and decided to stay in and relax, we are fine with this rule as we like seeing smart people but the rules need to be advised to everybody.

I did visit the spa twice which was nice although my second therapist was much better than the first who did not do the hand and arm massage included in the Rose facial.

Overall I am glad we made this trip but will stick to Reethi Rah in the Maldives in February as although it is slightly more expensive it is classy.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank MickeyBEssex_England
Reviewed February 22, 2013

In some of my reviews i talk about price being high, this price the price does not matter! The service is beyond exceptional. The food is some of the best I have had an opportunity of tasting. Although they have a lot of rooms, it never seems to be over-crowded like some hotels feel. The beach front is absolutely pristine and once again the service is out of this world. I recommend this place to everyone, and will soon travel back there.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#2 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Fairmont Royal Pavilion

Been to Sandy Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!