“Spa is Unreal”

Sandy Lane Hotel
philadelphia
“Spa is Unreal”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I will first disclose that I write a blog on spas. It was for this purpose that I visited this property. I also visited another property that I was not so impressed with but that is another review. Sandy Lane Spa is certainly not to be believed. From the moment you descend down the double staircases to the curving reception desk you know that you are some place special.
I work in the spa industry myself and have never experienced the level of treatments offered or the esthetics of this place. The treatment room is probably the size of my living room with en suite bathroom. Many of the rooms have a private plunge pool and it was my first experience seeing an "ice cave" and rhassoul-a kind of mosaic tiled steamroom with Eucalyptus. They offer a fabulous array of water treatments from scotch hose (the first I've seen since my academy training) to a futuristic hydrotherapy tub which changes colors according to your chakra. I would highly recommend that anyone who loves spa-ing and has a few bucks to spare take advantage of this property. Oh and the staff is wonderful too.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank moontide
SandyLaneHotel, General Manager at Sandy Lane Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
On behalf of the entire team at Sandy Lane, thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for your kind review of The Spa at Sandy Lane.

We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us at The Spa and appreciate that you acknowledged our Hot & Cold facilities, Crystal Cold Room, Rhassoul, Hydrotherapy Room and treatment suites. We also appreciate your warm recommendation and mention of our wonderful staff.

The Spa at Sandy Lane is rated as one of the best in the world and our unique treatments are drawn from wellbeing traditions around the world and are combined with our Barbadian sense of warmth. It is our great pleasure you were able enjoy this experience first-hand.

If you have any photographs or videos from your stay that you think capture the essence of The Spa, please do upload onto TripAdvisor and visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and YouTube where you can share your Sandy Lane memories with other guests.

We hope to welcome you to Sandy Lane again soon.

Robert Logan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Czech first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We visited last December and felt like newcomers to a Fraternity. It seemed like most of the people staying at the hotel new each other and most were British. But, everyone was friendly and we had a great time.
The suites are spacious, very clean and gorgeous...all the luxuries, including an amazing balcony overlooking the ocean/beach. I loved the pink loungers at the beach that were reserved for us for each day of our stay. The pool is stunning with waterfalls, gardens and pool bar.
The spa is also amazing...I could have stayed there the entire week. The grand staircase leads you to the treatment rooms and amazing facilities like the hot/cold facilities, steam room /rhassoul, huge jacuzzi and airbeds.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TwiggyCB
SandyLaneHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Sandy Lane Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you on behalf of the entire team at Sandy Lane for taking the time to post your comments and for your kind review of our resort.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your lovely comments about our spacious rooms, beach with pink loungers, ‘stunning’ swimming pool and our friendly accommodating staff.

The Spa at Sandy Lane is rated as one of the best in the world and our Rhassoul facility is exclusive to the Caribbean. We are pleased you were able to enjoy these experiences first hand.

If you have any photographs or videos from your stay that you think capture the essence of the resort, please do upload onto TripAdvisor and visit us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and YouTube where you can share your Sandy Lane memories with other guests.

We look forward to your return and hope to welcome you to Sandy Lane again soon.

Haarlem
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Sandy Lane in Barbados overlooks one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Imagine you swimming in the pool and being captured by golden sand and sparkle blue bright water. The hotel offers whatever you want en wherever you want it. Glamourous condo's, old style with antiques furnished rooms, spacious gardens and look who was there too: Justin Bieber. A magical experience...
This year it was ranking second in the 2011 Readers travel Awards The Worlds Top 100 of Conde Nast Traveller.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Marjolein W
I join with the entire team at Sandy Lane to thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for your kind review of our resort.

We are delighted that you recognized our recent award from Conde Nast Traveller Readers as #2 of the World’s Top 100 Hotels and thank you for acknowledging this. We are equally pleased you enjoyed your Sandy Lane stay and appreciate you mention of our beach, pool, rooms and gardens.

We hope to welcome you to Sandy Lane again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2011

My family and I have been going to Sandy Lane for more than 25 years. Sandy Lane is an amazing place. It is a spectacular setting with a beautiful beach and pool area. It has luxurious accommodations, great golf, and state of the art spa and exercise facilities. The staff is wonderful, always welcoming, friendly, and accommodating; they treat us like family. Children are made to feel special, with many activities organized for them by the Treehouse Club. We always look forward to our vacation at Sandy Lane. It is a truly relaxing and memorable place.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully appointed; however, rooms facing the ocean are preferable.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SLSDMD
On behalf of the entire team at Sandy Lane thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for your kind review of our resort.

We appreciate your warm comments of so many aspects of our resort you enjoy, including the luxurious rooms, great golf, The Spa, fitness centre and The Treehouse Club. It has been our great pleasure to have you stay with us over the years. Many of our guests such as yourselves are like family to us and we look forward to fondly welcoming you home again soon.

Buckinghamshire UK
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Our stay at Sandy Lane earlier this year was our first trip to the Caribbean. Thanks to our experience there, I am writing this from St Lucia and have a trip booked to the Bahamas for December (as well as plans for a return to Sandy Lane in the next year or two).

If you're happy to spend serious sums of money, then I can't imagine a better stay on Barbados and personally I was very happy with the value we got from our stay.

Having been collected from outside our plane, ushered through immigratrion, whisked off in a 7 series BMW (leaving our luggage to be brought along separately), we immediately relaxed and got into holiday mood. The drive from the airport is pleasant and the grounds of Sandy Lane are very beautiful and superbly maintained. We were greeted at Sandy Lane by the GM and various other members of the management team and I was smitten by the place. For me, it feels like a luxurious home that you are allowed into. Despite being a hotel of considerable reputation it feels very comfortable and not flashy.

I must confess that usually we choose to stay in suites but such was the cost of Sandy Lane in peak season I was (gasp) forced to book the second lowest category room! A suite was totally out of the question at this place. However, I needn't have worried.Our room was around 600 square feet and had - imho - the best hotel bathroom and closet space for a bedroom that I have ever seen. We had our son on a rollaway with us (rollaway was I think $250 a night by the way) but we didn't feel squashed in at all. Our room was on the gound fllor with an ocean view, just steps from the beach. It was blissful.

The other rave I would make would be that the food is extremely high quality. Breakfasts were excellent: I usually hate buffets but they have mastered the art here. Dinners, with your feet almost touching the gently lapping waves were also a delight, with the only sound being the tiny "whistling frogs".

Guests were predominantly British (with a few Americans) and a pleasant, low-key and polite crowd. Staff were consequently relaxed and happy to help.

I would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TM99

We are pleased you enjoyed your Sandy Lane experience from the moment you arrived. It is a pleasure for the management team to welcome each esteemed guest personally as we consider you a part of our family here. Your comments regarding our spacious rooms and exceptional dining are appreciated and we thank you for your recommendation.

We hope to welcome you to our family and ‘luxurious home’ at Sandy Lane again.

London
Reviewed October 20, 2011

For my second trip to this wonderful hotel (having got married at a small ceremony there on the previous occasion), I have to say that it remains our favourite hotel anywhere in the world.

Staff, location, ambience, beach, bar, breakfast, attention to detail etc. all come together to form a quite superb combination. The cost remains exhorbitant, but you really do get what you pay for. I would say that eating in with or without a dining plan is not something we've gone for as there are so many top class restaurants on the West Coast that eating the same food in the same place for 'x' nights on the trot really doesn't appeal.

Should have written this review upon return in January 2011 but it was the booking of a forthcoming return trip that prompted me to write this review. We're going back in December and then again in January for the 3rd and 4th trips respectively. I do hope it's just as good as before.

Room Tip: Ocean-front if costs allow but otherwise don't pay the extra as you'll spend little time awa...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank property4wealth
Myself and the entire team Sandy Lane team thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for your thoughtful and kind review of our resort.

We appreciate that you highlighted so many aspects of your stay which you enjoyed, including our staff, beach and attention to detail.

Dining on the ‘platinum’ West Coast is certainly not to be missed. We are always pleased when our guests enjoy the gastronomic diversity and delights Barbados has to offer, whether here at Sandy Lane or at the many spots around the island.

We are delighted to learn you will be visiting us again so soon and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I did not stay at Sandy Lane but had a terrible experience there. I went to Barbados on my honeymoon and had emailed Sandy Lane ahead of time about playing golf and having dinner afterwards. I asked if my wife could use the facilities while I played golf and was told that wouldn't be a problem. Upon arrival we were not let in the gate for lunch as we did not have a reservation. The attendant was courteous and obtained a lunch reservation and let us on to the property. This was the low season and it was almost empty keep in mind. I asked where the facilities were for my wife, the spa, towels for the beach, etc and was quickly introduced to a manager. She informed us that those amenities are reserved for guests only and while the beach was public and we could use it, there were no towels for us, no beach chairs, and no showers to be had. I understand they don't want people from other hotels spending their days at Sandy Lane, but we were told otherwise via email and as we were on our honeymoon our reception was much less than expected. We were planning on spending 1000 USD in one day for a memorable night and yet we couldn't shower up for dinner? I'm sure it is fabulous but if you aren't staying there I would steer clear. Needless to say we did and took our business elsewhere, not will we ever stay there in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
34 Thank Taylor P
On behalf of the Sandy Lane team, thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We are saddened that you reiterated your displeasure with our policy regarding non-resident use of our facilities. When you raised your concerns whilst still at the resort, we felt assured you were satisfied with our explanation of our policy, which is designed to accommodate our in residence guests.

Two of our golf courses, including the championship 18-hole Country Club course, as well as our luxurious Spa and our restaurants, are available for our visiting guests to enjoy. Our Green Monkey golf course, pool and beach amenities are for the exclusive use of our residents.

It is surprising to us that you could have been notified otherwise as this has been our standard since the opening of the hotel. We are disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectation.

It is our hope that you will return in the future and allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in Sandy Lane.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint James Parish
Fairmont Royal Pavilion
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to Sandy Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!