“WOW this is luxury and worth a visit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Country Club at Sandy Lane

The Country Club at Sandy Lane
More attraction details
Owner description: With lush greens, five lakes and immaculately cut fairways, the Country Club course is a golfer's paradise. Also designed by Tom Fazio, this challenging 72 par, 7,060-yard course affords breathtaking views of the Caribbean Sea. The 2006 World Golf Championships Barbados World Cup unfolded here.
Chelmsford, Essex
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“WOW this is luxury and worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Sandy Bay is expensive but something else and worth a visit
Catamaran trips pass by from the waterside but if you have time try to visit

Visited June 2014

• Czech first
bedford
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Living on it's brand and reputation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

We paid the twilight rate of 140 US dollars each, but be aware of the add ons. Caddy 50 US dollars plus 'recommended' tip. We tipped 30 US dollars for an excellent caddy (John) but there are stories that some caddies aren't worth any tip. The course is very open, and we thought fairly easy, even off longer tees. Some great views, greens were quick and grainy, but we've played better courses for a lot less in many locations - South Carolina for example. Bottled drinks off the beverage cart were 8 US dollars, that's ridiculous! The restaurant was closed (maybe a good thing given the prices) but the locker rooms were absolutely superb. Taxi back into Holetown, five minutes, was 17.5 US dollars, but it was a new Mercedes limo. Glad we can say we did it, but wouldn't return.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank wedgieBedford
Reading, United Kingdom
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Great Course but not welcoming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

We holidayed in Barbados April (2014). I played all 4 18-hole courses that are sensibly available to 'ordinary' folk. Comparison of all 4 below. With detail posted on each courses tripadvisor page.

If you are looking to play golf in Barbados check out the Sir Garry Sobers Golf Championship. It's an Open tournament and you play all 4 courses, save a bit of money and support a decent charity at the same time. http://www.sirgarrysobersfestivalofgolf.com

Sandy Lane Country Club
I enjoyed this course very much and it was added to by the fact that people playing behind me offered to let me join then and make up a 4-ball. Richard, David and Jenny, many thanks.

Positives - the course is immaculate, the course is a pleasure in layout and the greens large but very fast. Not hugely testing other than speed.

Negatives - nothing on the course but from the moment I arrived I felt I had been processed. The pro-shop reception was cold and unwelcoming which when your spending good money is not a nice feeling. Then they insisted I have a caddy. I had been warned about this and was told to ask for 'fabian' who is apparently a cool dude who is laid back and helpful.

Instead, I got someone who's name I forget. From the minute he was assigned to me I felt I was being hurried along. He sat in the buggy with his foot on the peddle and the minute I got in the cart he whizzed me off at breakneck speed to my ball. So much of a rush that he drove past the lady in the group when she was teeing off. I was forced to walk from men's tee to ladies to stop this happen and for him to respect her golf and the group. The final straw was him telling me he 'should be having his lunch now'. You pay good money and if caddies are enforced then they should be trained to make your experience a positive one and not trained to get you around the course as fast as possible.

Advice - ask around and get a recommendation on good caddies and book them in advance.

Summary of 4 courses
Royal Westmoreland GC: 9/10 - Friendly staff, Beautiful course, excellent but fair greens. Reasonably open fairways.
Apes Hill: 8/10 - Friendly staff, Fast and testing greens, tighter fairways, beautifully designed will be even better when new club house is built.
Sandy Lane Country Club: 7/10 - Bit stuffy. Staff not all that welcoming. Got processed rather than welcomed. Very god course with fast greens, wide friendly fairways. Would play again despite cost and caddy.
Barbados Golf Club: 6/10 - Staff friendly. Course nicely designed but poorly maintained, especially the greens. A few cracking holes all the same.

2 Thank Baggiesguy
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

With a panoramic view of the west coast The Sandy lane Country Club is absolutely stunning! Whether you are there for food or just drinks its well worth a visit.

Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Disappointing over rated”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

After spending a week in Barbados myself and my partner choose to end our holiday and the country club, beautiful view and a nice place, however the service was not matched to the setting it went from bad to worse!
After sitting down I had to ask for a cocktail menu, shortly after the waiter came over while my partner was at the toilet asked to take my order I asked if she could come back when my partner was back but she replied no I just wanted to hurry it up because the kitchen closes at 5 it was then 4:36 what's the rush I thought.. After a basic dinner ( food was just ok ) snack type of menu , salads fish dishes and burgers nothing to go wild on just very casual.
Anyway my partner decided to take a look in the boutique next to the restaurant, he bought a few bits and then returned and finished our meal, as we was about to leave he realised he had left his sunglasses so we looked around the tablet they was no where to be seen we asked the staff and they wasn't really interested, I said oh you may have left them in the boutique while you was paying, we went back in and asked the assistant if they had been handed inn and traced are steps - no sign of the glasses at this point we was feeling a lil upset how they could of been misplaced we was the only guests there and they was Louis Vuitton and as you can imagine a pricey price tag, bought from line grove the local shopping center. I asked if any other customers had been in and the assistant didn't know? Ok then?! We asked if there was CCTV she also didn't know, this became very strange?! How would you not know if your work place had Cameras or not? We searched the shop high and low the 3 of us Evan the shop assistant joined in, we was looking places we hadn't Evan been. ;( it was time to give up we left our number. We left and got in the car. Before we Evan got to the main road we had a phone call they had been found.... She said they was in with the clothes on a table.. You can make your own mind up. I'm 99% sure they had been stolen and then she had 2nd thoughts and owned up..left a bad taste in my mouth il never return. If you do go keep you belongings where you can see them.