“Slap in the face”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Woolwich, Maine
“Slap in the face”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Dreadful , embarrassing situation !! We walked via beach from our lovely villa for dinner , our husbands were dressed as we were told. , nice dress shorts , collared shirts and leather sandals , my friend and I were dressed in lovely long dresses etc.
we came in from beach entrance .....well the front desk staff was so extremely rude it was unbelievable . We have never ,ever been so embarrassed ....we were told in NO uncertain that the dress shorts were cargo shorts and they don't allow them, we said no these are not cargo shorts , they said shorts with a pocket on side are cargo shorts , then my husband asked for the manager , which they did not want to get, one staff person said they would get manager... Please understand it was off season , restaurant was almost empty, however while this was happening, they seated another couple that had just come off the beach with swim trunks and a logo tee shirt and rubber flip flops !!!!!!!!!!

When the manager came out we pointed this out to him , no apology ,nothing ,but he said this once he would seat us in the corner , we said nope, and left.......at this point , I phoned the Tides to see if we cld get in , yes we then went directly to the tides as we were dressed and were seated and served a lovely dinner

The front desk staff is the rudest nastiest group I have ever encountered , and this is not our first time on island..we have been to the cliff house , cin cin , lone star , sandy lane. And many other restaurants ...

Do not waste your money or time to be treated badly. Many ,many much better places to eat .....

Visited June 2013
4 Thank skier0611
Marco A, General Manager at Daphne's Barbados, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear skier0611,

We thank you for your review of Daphne’s.

We sincerely apologize for the way in which the Dress Code was communicated to your party. As can be seen from the last set of reviews, similar comments have been made concerning our Front Desk and I can wholeheartedly assure you that this issue is DEFINITELY being addressed.

We hope that we can welcome you some other time to provide a better experience than the one which you have described.

Thanks for your feedback.

Norway
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We went to Daphne's with our 1,5 year old daughter one of the first nights on Barbados. Daphne's is just up the road from our hotel (Beach View).

The receptionist seemed rather confused, I asked for a table for us and told him we did not have a reservation. We were showed to our table, it was not on the front row with full ocean view but the second row, it was also fine. You get a gorgeous view of the beach and the sea. I'd say that Daphne's layout makes for a romantic setting, if all else is good :)

We ordered a 3 course meal and Pasta Bolognese for our daughter.
For starters I had the Black belly lamb Ravioloi and it was just delicious!
For mains I had the sirlon strip (medium cooked) the steak was well done and fairly tasteless, but the meat was good.
For desert we had the mount gay creme brulee which was very good.

My fiance had the porched lobster with coleslaw for starters and it was not very good at all.
For mains she ordered the sirlon steak, medium cooked, her piece of meat was rather chewy.

We don't have any complaints about the service, it was good and they were attentive. Also the waiter was knowledgeable about red wine.

It took over 30 minutes from we were done eating our starter till our mains came, and that's just too long in my book. Our daughter was getting more and more restless/impatient and the waiters saw that.

When I finally got the bill, I was surprised to notice that all the prices listed in their menus are excluding V.A.T!

• Visited July 2013
Marco A, General Manager at Daphne's Barbados, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear palvs,

We thank you for your review of Daphne’s.

We apologize that the wait for your main course seemed to have been this long which is usually not the case.

Also, please allow me to point out that the prices on all of our menus, as mandated by the Government of Barbados, include Value Added Tax. This is clearly stated at the bottom of each menu as well as the notice about our discretionary Service Charge. I’m sure that this may have been a misunderstanding upon seeing your bill as the prices in the upper portion of our bill are VAT-exclusive and the VAT is then calculated at the bottom in the subtotal area.

We hope that we may have the opportunity to see you again so that we can make up for this experience and thank you once more for your feedback.

Cardiff, UK
“Not always a good exxperience”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Dined one night as a foursome : Marco and Andrea were wonderful re-cooking a steak for my wife and giving her a lovely sauce to go with it, Lovely wine. Seating was comfortable with a front row sea view. Second time we went, we did not find the receptionist very welcoming when we went to book a table and when we arrived the welcome was not that brilliant either. However, we did have a table by the sea as requested in an open plan with roof decking area. The plastic seats were uncomfortable, and we did not like the wine water when offering me wine to taste, spilling red wine on the outside of the glass and on to the white linen table cloth, with no apology. There was no napkin wrapped around the bottle to prevent drips. I spilt wine on the table serving my self wine later which made the table look messy. Admittedly, the female waitress took pity on us and covered up the stains with white napkins. Also, during our meal she quite rightly asked early on how our meal was, not towards the end as some do in other restaurants. Food was so,so, Cant remember much about our starters, but do not think we had issues here - for our main courses we asked for the beans not to be too hard, but they were, my wife's steak was a bit chewy which she did not finish and the battered / coated ? fish dish I had, had very tender fish, but the meal was too dry. However, not wanting to waste the food my wife asked for a container to take her remaining steak away to re try eating it for a lunch snack with salad the following day on our hotel balcony - they provided a lovely container and discreet bag

Dear Beachandsea,

We thank you for your review of Daphne’s.

I remember the first night you dined with us when you had such a wonderful evening and therefore it saddens me to have read your review.

The issues that you have mentioned in your review are being addressed since, as you would have seen, this is not the usual way we conduct our business.

I sincerely apologize for the experience that you had and I assure you that it will not occur again.

We thank you for taking the time to your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Marco Alleyne
“Didn't live up to our expectations.”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We came here on a recommendation from other guests staying at our hotel. We had high expectations after hearing their reviews, however we were somewhat disappointed.
We were seated outside where there were no other diners when we arrived, so it felt like we were 'put out of the way' from the other customers, on noisey plastic chairs.
I was disappointed by the selection of wine by the glass, all italian. I opted for the pinot grigio which i didn't particularly enjoy.
As for the food, i opted for dishes from the 'taste of bajan' menu, caesar salad to start, a large portion but nothing out of the ordinary. For main i had the jerk pork which was nice, but not particularly amazing.
My boyfriend ate from the regular menu, he had foie gras to start which was fantastic, definietly the highlight of the evening! Followed by a very average risotto.
We both had the frozen berry dessert, which was again very average and didn't live up to expectation.
We came away rather disappointed which is a shame considering the lovely view and restaurant.

Dear Jamierendle,

We thank you for your review of Daphne’s.

We apologize that your meal did not live up to your expectations and we hope that we may be given the opportunity to show you a better time on your next visit.

We sincerely thank you for your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Bridgetown, Barbados
“This may not be the case with other items”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

In fairness, my experience may not be typical, but the restaurant would be well advised not to serve any substandard items. I refer to their Red Snapper which I recently had there and I can say it was poor by any standard.
Having said that the lobster starter was good and the ambience is very good. It is beyond me how the kitchen could have served the snapper, dry, seriously over cooked and tasteless.

1 Thank Justintforfun
Dear Justinitforfun,

We thank you for your review of Daphne’s and for your feedback concerning the Red Snapper.

We humbly apologize that this dish was not up to our usual standard and your concerns have been noted by the Chef who also sends his apologies.

We hope to see you again sometime to show that this was an exception rather than the rule.

We thank you once more for your feedback.