“Had heard great things”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I'd heard great things about Daphne's and its even described, in the local tour book, as 'one of the top restaurants in Barbados' so whilst staying at the Tamarind (next door) we thought we'd give it a go.
On entering Daphne's there is a large waiting area on the right and bar on the left. You move towards the rear of the building (beach side) to the eating area. My first disappointment was the layout of the tables - basically in a line which is terrific if you want to spend the evening listening to the next tables conversation! There are some metalwork screens which divide up the restaurant but right the other side was... yes you've guessed it, another table - so I was literally sitting right next to the person on the next table! This is a pet hate of mine - restaurants (not just Daphne's).. think about the dining experience of your customers, not just how many tables you can squeeze into the space.
There is a good selection on the menu and I ordered the beef. Having waited a while we were served and was disappointed that my 'medium/well' had turned into 'medium/rare'. The staff apologised and took it away but I then had to wait a while before getting a correctly cooked meal - my friend had finished eating her course before I got mine!
The staff were courteous but at prices similar to The Tides restaurant we didn't feel the experience at Daphne's was anywhere near as good.

1  Thank HarperG50
Marco A, General Manager at Daphne's Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Warby40,

I humbly apologize to you for your less than stellar dining experience.

As you would have seen, our members of staff pride themselves on their professionalism and courteousness which was, in your opinion, lacking in some regard when it came to your meal that evening.

Your review, as all others are, will be discussed with all of our members of staff as we strive to ensure that we consistently provide a quality experience.

We hope that you will consider joining us once more so that we may be able to show you a better time.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I feel very guilty at only just getting around to writing this review, as my husband and I stayed at the Tamarind Cove in May and more or less used next-door Daphne's as our canteen. We just loved the place and, having pretty much worked our way through the menu, feel quite qualified to comment on most aspects of the food. I absolutely loved the delicate seared tuna starter and the refreshing tomato soup. My husband is a fish soup afficianado, has eaten it the world over, and thought it excellent. But what was very special was when the chef, Marco, stopped at our table, whilst doing his rounds of the restaurant. It is obvious he is passionate about the food he puts on his guests' tables and, when my husband enquired about the cooking of the foie gras, he brought the cut to the table to show us, and then proceeded to bring the finished product to us a few minutes later. It was just fabulous - beautifully cooked - and we were really charmed to find that this was not on the bill - it was all about sharing his passion for food. Other amazing dishes are the linguine with shredded spicy crab (this became a bit of an obsession with my husband) and the blackened mahi mahi. We had only good experiences at this restaurant and, despite going off to Cin Cin, The Cliff and Lone Star, always came back to Daphne's, always very glad to be there. We are returning to Barbados in November and are staying at the House, the main reason being that it's convenient for Daphne's. I appreciate other people might not have had the same experience as us, but I can honestly say that I have never had anything approaching a bad meal at Daphne's. It's been consistently delicious, fun and charming, with very friendly and professional staff, who know what they are doing. We're looking forward to returning.

Marco A, General Manager at Daphne's Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Dear SueQLondon,

There's no need to feel guilty about the delay in writing your review. As the saying goes, "Its better late than never."

We thank you for your complimentary review on your experiences with us. It truly means a lot to us.

We look forward to hopefully seeing you again sometime.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Started with cocktails on the beach under a chandelier hanging from the tree - a beautiful setting. Restaurant quite busy, service attentive. Food freshly prepared and presented really nicely. Expensive but definitely a 'destination' meal out. A few vegetarian options and GF pasta available.

Dear jcjmail,

We thank you for your review of Daphne's Restaurant.

We strive to ensure that all of our Guests have a truly wonderful experience from their first cocktail and throughout their entire evening with us.

We hope to see you again sometime and thank you once more for your review.

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I'll start with the good. The staff were really nice - friendly, polite and attentive. They were quick to service our needs and always wore a smile.

All dishes we ordered were decent, but struggled to live with the price tag. One exception was the loin strip which was fantastic and worth every penny.

Unfortunately, I think the restaurant suffers slight delusions of grandeur. The dishes not worth the expense while the dress code is overly stuffy and not conducive to a comfortable experience (given that it is typically 30 degrees and the restaurant is to all intents and purposes alfresco).

Ultimately it's a lot to pay for an average experience. I'd go to the other local eateries that are far better value.

Marco A, General Manager at Daphne's Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Dear PeterJohnCotton,

We thank you for your review of our Restaurant and though your experience may not have been as we all would have liked, please rest assured that we will take the constructive feedback which you have given and analyse it in helping to make our business better.

We apologize for not having met your expectations and look forward to hopefully having you again sometime.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

....because it is a lot better than the reviews give it credit for! We were staying next door and arriving late so decided we didn't have much option but to eat there and having read some of the recent reviews, we were apprehensive. The food was TERRIFIC! The lamb ravioli starter with butternut squash....oh my goodness.....divine. My beetroot and goats cheese salad was nice but wish I had gone for the ravioli...it really was that good! Main course was spicy crab linguini. One of the best dishes I had all holiday. They were also good on recommending a wine and picked one that was just as we requested......a thoroughly wonderful dinner.

Marco A, General Manager at Daphne's Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear LadyPrimrose,

We thank you for your review of Daphne's.

It means a lot to all of us here when we receive encouraging reviews from our valued Guests.

We look forward to hopefully having you again some time.