“Better places on the island”
Review of Coral Reef Club

Coral Reef Club
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Stylish, luxury open air restaurant overlooking the sea. Member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World.
Louth, United Kingdom
“Better places on the island”
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Coral Reef Club during our stay in Barbados. Pleasant surroundings and reasonably good service but many standing round doing nothing whilst a few worked very hard. Food was good but not really memorable but the singer/entertainer was excellent. Doesn't compete with many of the other restaurants in the area.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Stephen L

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fab experience”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Not sure what expectations a couple of previous reviewers had, but for me this was one of the best dining hangouts on the island.
Ok, we were there out of season. The hotel, which is fairly small and family owned and run, had just re-opened, so maybe everybody was on their A game. But if so I'm not complaining because every facet of the evening was first class.
On arrival we were greeted by not one but two managers...hotel and restaurant. We were taken into the bar for a drink and there was no pressure to get us to our table at the time we booked. Which is just as well because we met a woman called Marion who we talked to for 45 minutes, making us well late for our booked time. But, that's usually my experience of Barbados. They have added a few layers to the meaning of manjana!!
The service was fab. From Andrew to Deborah and Samuel. All of them made the dining experience unforgettable.
My wife started with soup which was lovely. I had a sorbet to start. I know, a bit bizarre but I wasn't hugely hungry. Very pleasant.
We both had rack of lamb as a main course. It was cooked brilliantly to just the right side of rare.
The rum and cokes for my wife and the Carib beers I had were perfect compliments to a really really good nosh.
Now to the look of the place. My wife and I disagree slightly on this. She thinks the olde world charm is, well charming. I do to up to a point but I think it's a little old fashioned and needs a tad modernising. But, I'm being picky here. The table was beautifully laid out and there was a dance floor area with a singer who I think was called Chantelle. Nice voice, could have done with brighter lighting so we could have seen her better.
All in all a fab experience and we will definitely be back on our next trip, In fact, despite my very slight reservations about the hotel's decor, we had a tour of the property and both think it might be worth a stay.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Homely paradise”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

First time to Barbados and what a great place. Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, nice guests. Rooms good, but Bathrooms will need upgrading soon. Will go again

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Didn't live up to expectations”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was really surprised to find such slow, sullen service. Also very surprised by the poor food too. The food was ok but overpriced for what you get. They really need to up their game to keep up with surrounding restaurants.

• Visited August 2013
London
“Excellent food this time”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We are actually staying at Coral Reef Club, not only is it the most wonderful spot with charming staff, but we have also thought that the food is even better than previously experienced. The Sunday lunch buffet is an absolute bargain at 57B$, including tax and service, with a wide choice, excellent crab, lobster and prawn salad to begin with, with the option of sushi, sashimi, smoked salmon and other beautifully presented starters. It is difficult to select from the mains, ranging from a choice of roasts, including sirloin of beef and suckling pig, but their Bajan curries are quite superb, really flavourful and offered with lots of little side dishes that you can top them with. However, it doesn't stop there as the desserts are attractively presented as well. We were so stuffed after lunch that we cancelled our dinner reservation at the Lone Star as we knew that we wouldn't be able to manage another full meal.

• Visited May 2013