“Memorable afternoon tea, but we felt a bit like intruders..”

Bajan Blue at Sandy Lane
Cuisines: Caribbean, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The atmospheric Bajan Blue restaurant is perfect for relaxed beachside dining. Located on the Lower Terrace, this informal restaurant offers all day dining and a mélange of European, Caribbean and Asian influenced cuisine. The elaborate Sunday Brunch is a must, as are the spectacular themed buffet evenings. Other features include the modern wine bar, sushi station and state-of-the-art grill.
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan
“Memorable afternoon tea, but we felt a bit like intruders..”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

which I suppose is to be expected since we weren't staying at the hotel.. But of course being who I am,,I just had to experience what many people consider the finest resort in the Caribbean - so afternoon tea with my Mom and sister seemed like the best way to do it, and at $90 for the three of us it seemed worth it too!

Having worked in hospitality previously, I really enjoyed just driving through the Sandy Lane "estate" and seeing all of the massive villas that people rent for upwards of $25,000 a week. Our taxi driver dropped us off at what I think was the main entrance to the hotel, and we were escorted down the steps to the "Lower level terrace". Please keep in mind that if you MUST HAVE A RESERVATION in order to get past the guard gate…this is not the type of place that takes walk-ins. Anyhow, we were promptly seated in an area that seems quite removed from where the hotel guests are. We were also told that while we were free to walk around, we were not to sit and order beverages at the bar, as that space is reserved for guests only. We did manage to walk around a bit before/after tea,,but we really did feel like intruders and quickly sat back down at our table. From what we saw the grounds are absolutely gorgeous and the sea is as calm as a lake..if you like pink then this is the place for you. My 13 year old sister couldn't stop talking bout how she wants to come back and actually stay at Sandy Lane for her quince (15th birthday). I appreciated everything about the hotel, but even if I had the budget it wouldn't be my first choice. I prefer small, boutique properties.. Anyway...

We ordered the traditional afternoon tea I believe,,and for $90 it really is great value. The three of us couldn't even finish it! It comes with a few sandwiches - smoked salmon, egg salad, curry chicken salad, and about a dozen baked goods of all different shapes, sizes, tastes, and textures as well as a whole basked of delicious warm scones! We thoroughly enjoyed trying everything..and also ordered cappuccinos with it as we aren't big tea people. They also offer take away bags (I know, not the classiest thing to do!) and my 13 year old sister continued to enjoy the left over sweets thoroughly over the next few days..

All in all it was a memorable experience, but just be aware that you will feel a bit like an intruder/poser if you aren't actually staying at the hotel. Frankly, I'm surprised that they even allow "outsiders" to come into the hotel int he first place! But the main takeaway here is - it's worth doing once (preferably with the ladies in your party!)!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Danielle M

“Rip off”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Hi
We have been to the sandy lane Bajan buffet , Tuesday evening a couple of times , several years ago . With 2 growing boys who really enjoyed the lovely meats / fish / curries etc we had enjoyed the evening.
So we duly booked again this year. What a rip off this year . Great selection but have stopped the grill where you can choose a piece of meat and have it grilled. An abundance of fillers i.e. salads but really a reduction in substance.
As we are not residents at Sandy lane , we were stuck on a table on the edges and really felt 2nd class citizens.
The bill 4 people , no alcohol , was 516US$
Don't give these people any more money as value for money was terrible.
Saw the most ridiculous thing ever. A lady returning from the ladies with a waitress behind her carrying the customers handbag as if it was the crown jewels .

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Janebredin
Seattle, Washington
“Simply Divine!”
Reviewed June 4, 2014

First off, you can't beat the setting. The hotel is fabulous and provided a wonderful backdrop for the lovely lunch we had. The staff was incredible - very attentive, efficient, and so friendly. Having dined at many a restaurant in Barbados, I can say that this restaurant has the best customer service I have experienced on the island. The food was delicious, plentiful, and arrived promptly. Sure, the prices are somewhat steep, but not out of the ordinary for a great restaurant in Barbados. Every little detail was well thought out - from the cozies on the water glasses to the presentation on the plate. I will definitely come here again!

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank a h
London, United Kingdom
“Best thai buffet”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We treated ourselves to a Thai buffet dinner in the Bajan Blue restaurant in Sandy Lane.
Beforehand we had some cocktails on the terrace and it was very nicely laid out with candlelight everywhere and music from a pianist.
From start to finish the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly.
The buffet was enormous and it did it a dis-service to call it a thai buffet as it had cuisine from all corners of Asia. All the food was cooked fresh and constantly replenished.
The restaurant was full and the tables laid out on the open courtyard but covered with awnings to give some cover. The food areas were spread out but at no time did you feel cramped or had to queue for anything. It was very well staged.
The wine list was pricey but there were some good wines at the £40 per bottle range.
What was interesting was every time you visited the buffet a staff member would take your replenished plate and escort you back to your seat.
My son was so impressed he wants us to stay at the hotel on our next trip.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank JuliaHLondon_UK
Northampton
“Tuesday night buffet”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We went here as a special treat. I loved the lit up fountain when we arrived, the place was very nice, just as I expected. The young man on the front desk was so polite and welcoming and took us through to the restaurant to a lady who explained the food to us, who then took us to our waitress who seated us, have to say she was not at all friendly or welcoming, but we had a good seat not too far from the sea, even though it was too dark to see it, it was lovely to hear the waves, an amazing setting. We did have lots of lovely food which was plentiful. The highlight for me was the trio that were entertaining the diners, they were so good, a real lift and a credit to the hotel. On leaving the young man on the desk took some photo's for us, so kind of him.
Dropped one point off the rating due to the waitress.

• Visited May 2014