“Great Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Bridgetown
utah
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I only wished that we could have stayed longer. The location is perfect since you are between two beaches. The beach closer to Bridgetown has some wrecks off shore that are excellent snorkeling sites. The views from you patio and room are outstanding. The staff was excellent.Windsor was extremely helpful since we had flight changes and missed our first night's
stay. It is nice to be able to walk to Bridgetown. We also loved that this hotel is smaller than the Hilton.The rooms and bathroom have been remodeled.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank utahwilbur
Gerry L, General Manager at Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Utahwilbur,

Your great comments on the hotel and overall review of your stay are very much appreciated . You have joined many reviewers who have made positive mention of the staff, gorgeous location and stunning view of Carlisle Bay from the room patio.

Thank you for your specific mention of Winston, I will ensure that he is congratulated . We look forward to welcoming you back to the Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados .

Kind Regards

Gerry Lewis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2014

When I was booking my Barbados vacation, I had narrowed my choices to the Radisson and the Hilton (which are close to each other). They both had good reviews, but the location right on the beach (Pebbles Beach/Carlisle Bay) sold me on the Radisson, and I'm so glad I chose it! I really enjoyed my week-long stay and though there were a few things that could be improved upon (see below), they were far outweighed by the benefits and I would both return myself and recommend it to others.

The good:
- Location, location, location! The beach that it's on is one of the best I have seen. It's a glorious strip of pinkish-white sand that stretches all the way to Bridgetown. It's clear for swimming and snorkeling (and the hotel has a pier, under which there are lots of coral and fish to see), perfect for a morning walk/run, and has restaurants, beach bars, and water sports equipment rentals all along the stretch. It's also neat to watch the horses from the nearby race track come down for a swim right beside the hotel!

- The staff are friendly and helpful throughout the hotel (restaurant/housekeeping/front desk).

- The building itself is a bit older, but it has been recently upgraded with modern decor. It looks fresh and clean, and the lobby area is inviting. The room was tastefully appointed and I wish I had the office chair for my desk at work. I loved the beach view of Carlisle Bay, and spent many mornings reading a book with a cup of tea on the balcony = perfection! The air conditioner was quiet and kept our room at the perfect temperature.

- There is free wifi throughout the property, with a strong signal wherever you go - lobby, room, restaurant, or beach! You can have up to three connected devices, and you don't have to continuously log in. This is a huge selling feature for me, as I hate having to pay up to $20 a day extra for internet just to share some photos on Facebook and check my email (however, these are also things I do not want to do without while travelling!)

- The hotel is within walking distance (or a short taxi ride) of a variety of restaurants in Hastings, including Blakey's, Tapas, Nauru, etc. It is also about a two minute walk from a restaurant called Brown Sugar that offers up a great selection of local food at a reasonable price.

- The food at the beach bar is awesome for lunch/afternoon snack. I overheard some people say that they had the best crispy fries on the island, and I would have to agree. Food is tasty, reasonably priced (drinks too!), and they will bring it right to your beach chair in a timely manner. The breakfast buffet was pretty standard, but good, and though it was included with our room, I saw that it was reasonably priced when compared to similar offerings from other hotels I have stayed at.

- They have a large supply of beach towels, in good condition. Some days it looked like all of the beach chairs were full, but we never had a day without one, and we didn't have to go down at 6 am to stake them out or anything. They have plenty of umbrellas that staff will set up for you if you're needing some shade.

- I liked that this was a smaller hotel (when compared to the Hilton, for example). It gave it a more boutique/intimate feel that I really enjoyed.

The bad:
- There weren't too many complaints but one was that the temperature of the water in the shower was a bit inconsistent. There was always hot water available, but the water temperature would change from burning to cool in the course of one shower. My guess is that they have an older plumbing system that doesn't maintain pressure when people in other rooms flush their toilet/use their sink. You get used to it, as you would in any older home, but it would be great if it were fixed.

- The pool is very small. This was not a problem for me because I booked the hotel for the beach, but take note if you are a pool person.

- The hotel restaurant has an ok dinner, but service is slow and there is not a lot of selection. It's not really a problem because there are many other great restaurants around, just plan for going out.

- I would have liked a guest services book in the room, detailing breakfast hours, pool hours, where you can pick up beach towels (front desk), and general hotel and Barbados information. The front desk was always friendly and helpful with questions, but I would rather not have to bother them for simple information.

- The bed was a bit hard for my taste.

Room Tip: I was happy with my Beach View room, which included upgrade amenities, two sinks in the bathroom, da...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank ixia416
Pearl River, New York
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I just returned from an 8-day stay at the Radisson Aquatica - my first trip to Barbados - and I was thrilled with the accommodations. When researching hotels I was torn between this property and the Hilton next door, but I'm very pleased I settled on the Radisson. The Hilton beach was disappointing when we checked it out in person, whereas the beach in front of the Radisson is just amazing. If you're more of a pool person the Hilton would be the better choice. However, I came to Barbados to experience the beaches and the Radisson beach is superior (by far).

It's an easy walk from this location to Bridgetown (15-20 minutes). In the other direction it's about a 45-minute walk to Champers, our favorite restaurant of the trip. We even managed to walk to Saint Lawrence Gap, although that was quite a hike (1 hour and 45 minutes I believe, with a couple stops on the way).

Without question, everyone we encountered at this hotel was helpful and friendly. The housekeeping was superb - our room was immaculate for the duration of our stay. And this is coming from a bit of a neat freak. Rooms are nicely updated and comfortable. The breakfast (which was included in our room rate) was great. Lots of choices and even some traditional Bajan options. Margaret makes eggs to order, and she cooked my "well-done" fried eggs perfectly each and every time. No runny yolks! Thank you Margaret!

As others have mentioned, the air conditioning unit in the room is loud, but I'm not a light sleeper so it didn't bother me at all. However I can see where this may be an issue for some...

There's a computer that guests can use for free. I didn't bring my phone or laptop so this was appreciated. It's kind of tucked away and not so easy to find, but they will gladly show you where it is. I did not use the gym (as we got our exercise by walking everywhere) so I can't comment on that.

Overall I was very, very pleased with the Radisson Aquatica. I do not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others, and I will definitely stay here again when I visit Barbados in the future. Thank you for a wonderful stay!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cwri2311
Dear CWR12311

What a wonderful review ! we are quite thrilled to hear of the fantastic eight days spent with us. I'm very happy that everyone you encountered were helpful and friendly and that particularly the housekeeping team, maintained your room in an immaculate manner .

Thank you for your specific mention of Margaret, she will be thrilled that you remembered her and her eggs !!!

Your kind recommendation is very much appreciated. Thank you once again.

Kind Regards
Gerry Lewis
Seattle
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very good, had all the amenities we needed. The staff was attentive, helpful with suggestions, very friendly, and accommodating. Allowed us to use a room to shower on our last day after check out. (big thank you) Nigel was extremely helpful with suggestions and an overall nice guy to chat with. All the staff are very friendly. Rooms are well kept and cleaning crew do an excellent job!
Some reviews mentioned a loud air conditioner, only loud on the first day, purred normally for the rest our our 8 day stay. Nice to have a small fridge for snacks or beverages( there are markets in Bridgetown which is a 10- 15 min walk )
The cons are few, the restaurant is average with limited offerings and overpriced. Pool is on the smaller size, but with the amazing beach, it wasn't an issue.
Few tips: take the bus or the small independent mini buses to get from Bridgetown to any destination down to Oistins. Cost is $1 USD
If you care for coffee or light bsft, try Coffee Bean, 10 min walk south. Reasonable pricing.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JCA1342
Hastings on Hudson, New York
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel staff was great and very friendly, I want to say a special thank you to Nigel who was very attentive to our needs and helped to make my birthday a very special day. The room was very nice and the balcony was nice to have. The beach was clean and you can always find a chaise. The location of the hotel was good Carlyle Bay which was nice and had a better beach than the Hilton which was the neighboring hotel. the lobby was very welcoming and checking in and out was a breeze. The air conditioning in our room worked very well and the bed was very comfortable. I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: the rooms with the double balconies are great that face the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 123ash2014
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week from January 13th to 20th and had just the best holiday imaginable. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are so friendly. Wifi connection is excellent. Restaurant serves good food. We did find the breakfast a little expensive although it was very good. Now, I must say a huge thank you to all the staff but in particular to 3 very special people, Lucretia, Jermaine and Rodney who made our visits to the restaurant and the bar very memorable. We will definitely be returning to this beautiful place.

Room Tip: From the rooms overlooking Pebble Beach you can watch the racehorses being taken for a swim in the e...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris123431
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We just spent a week here as a couple holiday! This hotel is in a great location on what the locals say is the nicest beach in Barbados!!! Just stunningly beautiful...white sand and a calm sea. It has excellent wireless throughout the entire hotel & beach area which is so helpful in so many ways! The staff are very friendly, though not service-orientated whatsoever. The breakfast has the best setting we have ever had in a restaurant. If included it is ok; if not: don't pay for it!!! If you like to eat healthily, this is not for you. Choices are very limited and include a lot of sugary or fried options. Sadly the coffee machine had been broken for a whole week, so no cappuccino etc.
Lunch: you get some good options at the kiosk (they also have nice and fresh coconuts!) or try Cuz' fish shack round the corner!
Dinner: sadly the hotel only offers Thai food (and it isn't good quality Thai)...why not offer some authentic Bajan food in such a location (and in what is certainly the best setting on the beach)??? Surrounding areas offer great dining options like Brown Sugar..
Rooms: standard is fine, it's clean (wonderful cleaning staff!) and well equipped! One thing I pointed out to reception is that the espresso pads don't work on the coffee machines in the rooms and nobody seemed really bothered about it (only reply I got from reception was: "we ran out of the other ones, sorry about that" - instead of "can we get you a coffee from the restaurant instead?").
The air conditioning in the room is unbearably loud, so can be an obstacle to a good night sleep if you like to have a cool room at night...
All in all, the location and setting of the hotel is one of the best you get in Barbados. Staff are really friendly and if they were trained properly and if so many of these little things could be improved (breakfast buffet, comfort of sunbeds, dinner options, training of staff for various scenarios) this could be paradise......

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank R S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgetown
Hilton Barbados Resort
Courtyard Bridgetown, Barbados
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#24 of 51 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados? Share your experiences!