“Wonderful”

Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bridgetown
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a week from January 13th to 20th and had just the best holiday imaginable. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are so friendly. Wifi connection is excellent. Restaurant serves good food. We did find the breakfast a little expensive although it was very good. Now, I must say a huge thank you to all the staff but in particular to 3 very special people, Lucretia, Jermaine and Rodney who made our visits to the restaurant and the bar very memorable. We will definitely be returning to this beautiful place.

Room Tip: From the rooms overlooking Pebble Beach you can watch the racehorses being taken for a swim in the e...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Chris123431
Write a ReviewReviews (1,277)

Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We just spent a week here as a couple holiday! This hotel is in a great location on what the locals say is the nicest beach in Barbados!!! Just stunningly beautiful...white sand and a calm sea. It has excellent wireless throughout the entire hotel & beach area which is so helpful in so many ways! The staff are very friendly, though not service-orientated whatsoever. The breakfast has the best setting we have ever had in a restaurant. If included it is ok; if not: don't pay for it!!! If you like to eat healthily, this is not for you. Choices are very limited and include a lot of sugary or fried options. Sadly the coffee machine had been broken for a whole week, so no cappuccino etc.
Lunch: you get some good options at the kiosk (they also have nice and fresh coconuts!) or try Cuz' fish shack round the corner!
Dinner: sadly the hotel only offers Thai food (and it isn't good quality Thai)...why not offer some authentic Bajan food in such a location (and in what is certainly the best setting on the beach)??? Surrounding areas offer great dining options like Brown Sugar..
Rooms: standard is fine, it's clean (wonderful cleaning staff!) and well equipped! One thing I pointed out to reception is that the espresso pads don't work on the coffee machines in the rooms and nobody seemed really bothered about it (only reply I got from reception was: "we ran out of the other ones, sorry about that" - instead of "can we get you a coffee from the restaurant instead?").
The air conditioning in the room is unbearably loud, so can be an obstacle to a good night sleep if you like to have a cool room at night...
All in all, the location and setting of the hotel is one of the best you get in Barbados. Staff are really friendly and if they were trained properly and if so many of these little things could be improved (breakfast buffet, comfort of sunbeds, dinner options, training of staff for various scenarios) this could be paradise......

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R S
Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at the Radisson from January 21 to February 3. I travelled solo.

First of all, this property is not what I would consider to be a resort. If you are looking for a place where the bar is open past 11:00, that has a spa, that has hot tubs and that has entertainment in the evening you will be disappointed. I would classify this property as a beach hotel and that is how I have rated it.

Everything about this property is totally spotless. It matters not whether you look at the rooms, the lobby and lounge areas, the restaurant, the pool area or the beach if you think cleanliness is next to Godliness you will not be disappointed. The beach bar and grill has excellent snacks. I had their flying fish sandwich on more than one occasion and the fish sticks out of the bun and the fries are delicious. Their Cowboy Burger is one the best I have had in all of the Caribbean.

I ate at the restaurant quite often. I did not have a bad meal and when you consider the menu prices include VAT and service charge the prices are fair value. Happy Hour is from 5-7 and drinks are half price. Banks beer, which is good, goes for only BB$3.75 during Happy Hour and again this includes VAT and service. This is a tremendous value considering the property you are having it in.

The beach is wonderful. I was told that the waves are the largest at the time of year I was there and they were really not rough at all. I can only imagine how calm it is later on. There are plenty of loungers and if you want an umbrella just ask at the beach bar or elsewhere and they will put one in the sand wherever your lounger is. I thought that the ocean was slightly warmer than the pool.

The pool is quite small but with a beach like that who needs one. It is a maximum depth of 5'. It is divided into a children's pool on the other side that has a maximum depth of 1.5'. There are also loungers and umbrellas on the pool deck.

This a small establishment. I only counted 106 rooms but there may be a few more. This provides a friendly and inimate atmosphere. Guests are more apt to talk to other guests and the staff knew me in no time. This is important to me when travelling alone.

The front desk was top notch. I arranged two tours through Gisele and she was great. For my fellow Canadians, they offer an excellent exchange rate on Canadian dollars when converting to Barbados dollars. There is no need to bring a lot of US dollars. Nicole, who supervises the restaurant is amazing. Carlisle handles the bar with ease and will demonstrate a wonderful sense of dry humour when prompted. Rodney is great at the beach bar and occasionally at the main bar. Lucreatia treated me like a friend more than a guest.

Barbados has quite a few gardens, which I am sure would be lovely in April. Chances are very good I shall return to the Radisson in April of next year. I do hope the staff I have mentioned will still be there on my return.

Room Tip: The rooms on the north side have the nicest view. They look on to Bridgetown, Carlisle Bay and you...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank imsell
Gerry L, General Manager at Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear Imsell ,

Your detailed review is very much appreciated. Thank you for your comments regarding cleanliness of the property, this is very important to us and we continue to strive to maintain a spotless environment. Thank you also for pointing out the fair value of menu prices and beverages offered at the resort, we appreciated your daily patronage .

Many team members were mentioned in your review and I will ensure that they are personally congratulated for ensuring that you were well looked after .

We look forward to welcoming you back next April !

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This hotel, in my opinion has the best location on the beach, it has its own little harbour and some of the hotel juts out into the sea. The beach is smaller but very peaceful. The way the lobby and receiving area is, as a guest, you cannot help but meet people and share experiences. The staff, including the managers will come visit and ask questions about and offer ideas to enhance your vacation. They seem to really care about you and your happiness. If you have any concerns don't hesitate to contact Gerry Lewis (and yes, that is his real name), the General Manager or Cheryl Blackman, Director of Sales or Richard, Restaurant manager. All three of them are very open to new ideas and suggestions. My hats off to these three, and their wonderful staff, Margaret and her cohort, Carlyle and Rodney, my favourite hostess, Ricardo, the cleaning staff, front desk, all of you were wonderful and I wish I could list all of your names because all of you are great. But, what can I say other than "SMILE YOU LIVE IN PARADISE!!!!"

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank RGlenn88

Deal RGlen88,

Greetings from the Management and staff from your second home !! Its was our pleasure serving you on your recent visit. Thank you for the many kind mentions of staff members who made your stay enjoyable, I will ensure that they are all congratulated on a job well done .

I'm aware that you are planning a return visit, we are therefore all ready to welcome you back home !!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This Hotel is in a good location, right on the beach and close to Bridgetown. The staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were a good size and well equipped. The beds were very comfortable and the room was kept very clean. The pool is very small and not suitable for swimming in. Just designed for children to play in. The big disappointment was the hotel restaurant
It was an Asian restaurant and the food was like a Chinese takeaway, poor quality for the prices charged. Also the breakfast was expensive for what was on offer. However there are some very good restaurants nearby. The beach is lovely and clean and the water is great to swim in with no seaweed.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank melvyn2

Dear Melvyn2,

Thank you for your comments posted here . We are happy that you were pleased with your accommodation, friendly service of the staff and general location of the hotel. We have taken note regarding your comments on the dinner menu . I must say however that we have also received very positive comments regarding the quality and authenticity of the menu in general. I'm sorry that we were unable to "wow' you in this regard.

We appreciate your comments and again thank you for your review .

Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Radisson Jan 2014, it is a lovely hotel and the staff were very polite and helpful....engaging in conversation and a smile help! Our room was wonderful very spacious with everything we needed including a balcony with a lovely view of the beach and residential area. The beach is wonderful and it was nice to be able to get a deck chair and be on a beach that was not over crowded. Just a few steps away from the hotel were water sport and tennis facilities...great as we are very active people. We are regulars to the island of Barbados so we tend to eat at local cafe and restaurants my only negatives are the cost of their buffet breakfast although very extensive in term of choice I did feel $50.00 BD pp was too high after all there is only so much a person can eat and we found the bed very hard and unfortunately we did not have the best night sleep... might be worth investigating the bedding used at the Marriott......the best night sleep ever!

Room Tip: High floor - Corner offer the best view of the beach and inland Barbados
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello LindaL,

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Aquatica. I see that our polite and helpful staff , your superior accommodation and stunning beach location, all played key roles in your enjoyment . I'm sorry that you found the bed to be not as soft as you expected. We will certainly take note and look into this.

Thank you for taking the time to post a review here on Tripadvisor.com, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel is in an excellent location, between the yacht and Crusing club if Sailing - and walkable to Bridgetown and 10 mins on a local bus from Hastings, Worthing, Lawrence Gap. The staff were really friendly and the hotel is clean and modern and the beach area is beautiful - however the pool is very small with limited beds if you prefer being pool side, than on the beach. It's not a massive issue but the word resort for me implied something bigger. Saying that for a few days in between the sailing regatta to chill out, I couldn't fault it.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guavafish,,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay . We appreciate your comments regarding the friendly staff, and the cleanliness of the property. The size of the resort is a definite plus as it creates that intimate and relaxed feeling you enjoyed . We often get this comment from our Guests.

Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back very soon.

Gerry Lewis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgetown
Hilton Barbados Resort
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#2 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Radisson Aquatica Resort Barbados? Share your experiences!