“Barbados from a different angle...”

Atlantis Submarines Barbados
Book In Advance
More Info
$98.99*
and up
Atlantis Submarine Expedition Tour
Ranked #14 of 81 Tours in Bridgetown
More attraction details
Owner description: The family friendly, Atlantis Submarine adventure is one of the most unique and highly recommended attractions in Barbados. Imagine yourself in a real submarine, with view ports all around, fully submerged in the aquamarine Caribbean Sea, as curious fish peek in and sea fans sway. This fully narrated "must-do" undersea voyage, can take you to a shipwreck at 130 feet, during the day or night. Create safe, fun, unforgettable memories underwater with the entire family, while preserving the environment.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Having done snorkelling on our previous visits to Barbados, we agreed to go on Atlantis for a change. It allows you to see the bottom of the ocean at 145 feet and does provide a different perspective on Barbados and the ocean.

Yes, its not a cheap trip, but it is well worth the money and a good experience - but the facilities at the dockside could do with a bit of a revamp as their looking tired.

AtlantisBarbados, General Manager at Atlantis Submarines Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you for your great feedback regarding the perceived value for money of the tour. The quality team met to day to discuss how we can generally improve and your comments that speak specifically to dockside spruce up are being considered. Thank you.

All reviews
in 18 reviews
"cool experience"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I really enjoyed my trip in Atlantis submarine - I really wanted to see turtles in Barbados but couldn't face the snorkelling as I'm not a very good swimmer - we decided to go on this trip but were aware that we may not see any turtles. Every step of the trip was explained well , the co-pilot we had was very informative and really funny. you get your picture taken before you board the ferry which you get the chance to purchase later. 7 minute trip on ferry out to the sub - you then wait for the sub to surface - wait for the previous submariners to disembark and then it's your turn. once down in the sub we saw lots of fish and coral which the co-pilot named and gave us interesting facts about and a ship wreck but the highlight for me was when a turtle was spotted - the pilot manoeuvred the sub so that everyone got a chance to see 'myrtle' - I was ecstatic when the turtle swam very near to my window. I would have been happy with that but we then saw another turtle - double bonus ! once off the sub we watched it go down with the next lot of submariners on board. short journey back on the ferry where you receive a rum punch or soft drink. back on dry land you receive a certificate saying that you are a submariner and what depth you went down to (145 feet).

all in all great trip - highlights for me seeing the turtles and entertaining and informative co-pilot

Thank you for your step by step description of the submarine tour and your positive feedback. We are happy you saw two turtles, as you had hoped. Thanks for taking the time to let us know what we did well.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We enjoyed an adventure in Bridgetown Barbados touring underwater by the Atlantis Submarine. Yes it was expensive around $125 USD per person plus transportation to and from your hotel but overall it was worth it! Transportation was efficient and on time. We were welcomed with a cold orange juice and use of clean bathrooms before being driven by ferry to the sub moored off the coast. The staff were excellent in their safety descriptions and very funny. My husband spent many years as a Canadian Naval Officer so he knew what to expect. I didn't! When the staff found out about his experience he was voluntold to be the demonstrator of the lifevest apparatus! Comical when he wanted to mutiny after the Captain told him to jump overboard! Got a laugh. Once on board things were explained and orderly. We had great seats, quite comfortable considering it is a submarine. We were lucky to see some colourful fish, lots of fauna, a shipwreck and with pure luck two of the protected turtles swimming and diving for food! That was wonderful! The crew joked around with each other and we all took photos. We read the reviews and some are negative ones but we found they did not apply at all. I don 't know what people expect! Once finished we went back to the ferry, disembarked and were again lucky to watch the next batch of passengers get on board and watched the sub go down into the water! That was really exciting as we had done it but couldn't see ourselves going down. A great experience! We have been to Barbados three times and had not done this particular attraction and are so glad we did! Thank you Atlantis Submarine for a fun trip!

1  Thank canuckcarolyn

Thank you for a detailed and itself very entertaining review. Your comments have been shared with the crew. We appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience.

Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

I went on the day trip and had a great experience. The staff were very friendly and the operation was very organized. The sea life was incredible! We saw schools of fish, a sea turtle and marine life all around us. The staff were very knowledgable and excellent at keeping us entertained and helping us spot all the different species of marine life that we encountered. I would say this trip was great value and a must see if you visit Barbados.

Thank you for your kind comments and recommendation. It is greatly appreciated.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I elected to book the night time submarine tour as a last minute evening activity and as an alternative to snorkeling the next day. I figured that this would be an interesting non-typical type of experience that would provide for great conversation afterwards. Regretfully, I wish that I had read the reivews on Tripadvisor BEFORE I had booked this tour!

The tour is not cheap at US$101.50 however, I was willing to pay this amount for my very first submarine experience. The actual submarine tour last 40 mins and the price includes a mini cocktail gathering at the end of the cruise where a few hordervues and drinks were provided. For a total US$109 you can also arrange for the tour company to pick you up and return you back to your hotel which is very convenient.
As you are about to embark upon the boat which takes you out to the waiting submarine, a tour company employee takes your picture which they print and put in a Atlantis Marine photo-holder (like they do on cruises) for your to consider buying upon your return from the submarine tour. This picture cost US$6.

Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed with this tour because the visibillity was poor and I did not see much of anything other than a lot of brown coral with some orange coral thrown in the mix and some tall spiral coral, a few small fish and a sunken ship. The tour guide was quite animated talking about various things that we could expect to see and I found myself leaning forward towards the port-hole, with my torso in an almost horizontal position, as I strained to try and catch a glimpse of something of interest. The submarine lights are not turned on right away and then when they are turned on you still could not see much of anything!

If I had to do this again I would take the day time tour as I have to assume that the visibility would be better with the sun illuminating the water during the day. However, other reviewers on Tripadvisor concurred with me about the lack of fish/creature sightings so I think that I would have been better off just waiting to go snorkeling the next day

AtlantisBarbados, General Manager at Atlantis Submarines Barbados, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for your honesty and the time taken to write this review. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectation on this occasion. Atlantis is a natural experience and subject to nature .and unfortunately we are subject to the changes of the sea and cannot fully guarantee the visibility or marine life. If you are in Barbados again please let us know and we will be happy to host you under better sea conditions.