“Blink and you'll miss it”
Review of Lobster Alive

Lobster Alive
Ranked #8 of 122 Restaurants in Bridgetown
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The restaurant initially began as a wholesale distributor for the island's hotels and restaurants. Cooked takeaway service was added; along with a friendly free beer while you wait. Shortly after that the health inspector demanded we go the whole way or "wholesale only". This was around 1998. Long time friend and fellow musician with the local VSOP Jazz band "Stu Jenkins" became the resident artist (designer) and we named the up coming restaurant "LOBSTER ALIVE and all that Jazz". We felt our way; with many of the usual restaurant mistakes. But it seems now, we have scored quite well with international critics, restaurant guide books; and our many repeat customers.
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Lobster Alive is a gem of a restaurant. The sign is barely noticeable and from the street it's very unassuming but once you enter the place definitely has charm and character. It's a small, open air very intimate place right on the beach and it's a really a mixture of casual and slightly formal dining. The service is a bit spotty- not bad- but a little slow.

I guess once you expect that you won't care. Either way you may not care because the food is spectacular. The lobster spring roll is hot and crispy on the insider and filled with tender lobster meat. I had to lobster Alfredo which was again cooked perfectly and my husband had his own pick from the tank which no surprise was excellently prepared.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Barbados. On a note, don't make the mistake of dressing casually for dinner. I almost did and thank goodness I changed into something a little dressier last minute.

2  Thank Sayya26

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We go here each time we visit Barbados, for a special treat! Have never been disappointed with the food, it's an experience. First you can see the lobsters in their large tank, you can chose one if you like, but not necessary, you can also see them being prepared!
There is jazz on several evenings and at the weekend.
The situation is very ordinary, if you can call it that, it's a beach shack, on the lovely Carlyle Beach, the outside tables are literally placed on the sand, but the whole ambience is all about the lovely lobsters!
Not a cheap meal, but one worth having. We have always had good service and watching the jazz band is very relaxing.
Go there in the evening and watch the sun go down, very romantic!

2  Thank Julie-Hants
Reviewed April 20, 2014

How can I suggest that this is my favourite restaurant in Barbados notwithstanding that it's a beachfront Schack so to speak. I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. If you love lobster then this is the place for you. Certainly they do other child friendly dishes but this is for the lobsterati! Let me be a little more specific… I believe that they are not strictly lobster as we iin Europe would define and lobster with large claws etc. These lobsters are actually crawfish aka Caribbean spiny backed lobster. This wonderful place has a jazz band four times a week and the food is superlative. The best fries anywhere ever… Mark my words. Certainly the service is lackadaisical and due to the small kitchen your food can easily take an hour or more to arrive. Please trust me when I tell you that the wait is more than worth it. The owner, Art Taylor is a joy to behold with always a friendly word for everybody. I've been coming here now for three years and always spend at least a couple of lunches on my holidays. No, it's not cheap but I assure you that i've had many meals on Barbados at much the same price which pale into insignificance. Enjoy cos you will!

Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The waiter did not explain how is the lobsters. Grudge.
Hight prices, bad service and very ugly place.
When we ask for two main lobsters, one with rise and another with potatoes she just don't want to serve it and we are obligated to order two with potatoes.

4  Thank Marcos L
Reviewed April 13, 2014

The dinner options here are: lobster. And the lobster is expensive. And the restaurant is kind of "divey"; it is a beach restaurant after all. And did I mention the sign out front is so small you will get lost trying to find it, unless you take a taxi there of course. Nevertheless, the lobster was delicious, cooked just right, served with spicy fries and a bit of salad greens. If you order a lobster each you will pay through the nose, consider ordering the heavier lobsters, (2 lb.+) and sharing to keep the price down. It was dark when we arrived (7pm) so we could not get much of the beach ambience, but there was 3 piece Jazz band playing soothing music which was very nice.

So tasty food, just be prepared for the cost. Service was just fine.

1  Thank dimitri7777