“Plenty to eat buffet, local cuisine”

Brown Sugar Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 115 Restaurants in Bridgetown
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I was accompanied by a local lady to this favourite dining spot of hers, and it did not disappoint . At lunch they serve a buffet of all local foods , so it is a good way to try out local specialities seeing them before you put anything on your plate. There was a brown bean soup simple in flavour and nice. Salads, one which was consisting of chopped up pig feet, a local delicacy , my friend was heartily enjoying it. A variety of about 8 different salads in all . I was more interested in the hot selection, which included pepper pot , this is a stew delightfully flavoured with exotic spices and pepper, but not to hot , just fragrant and lovely. They had traditional roast beef, no gravy, wasn't bad. Fried fish , bajan style, Chicken, another fish dish. The hot vegetables were a local kind of spinach, is it calalloo ?? The brown rice, tasty , the famous macaroni pie ( somehow i don't think thats bajan , but you see it everywhere )
The dessert section offered about 8 different desserts.
The lunch was pleasant, if not outstanding, yet a great way to experience local cuisine if thats what you would like to do.
I was happy to see this place was an equal opportunity employer as they had a few older ladies helping out, nice to see you are never too old to work the floor in some places .
The whole meal cost about $30 US a head, very reasonable I think for an all you can eat buffet.
Just one little tip though, It is much better if buffet servers work with a nice smile on their faces instead of looking like their favourite pet just died.
It makes customers feel you really want to help them or serve them, and that you care about them , when you are happy, if you don't want to be working there then don't, it doesn't matter what just went down in the kitchen, suck it up and smile, thats customer service and thats my tip .

Reviewed January 31, 2012

My title says it all. The batter was spiced (not hot, flavorful spicy) before frying and then topped with some local Bajan hot sauce - these were to die for. The bean salad (cold) is also a great side-dish. I tried a bit of most everything they had at this place, but ended up just gorging myself on spicy flying fish.

1  Thank originalXfactor
Reviewed January 28, 2012

This restaurant was handy to our hotel so we walked. The interior was a surprise as we entered, and a tropical garden unfolded around us. Our hotel had booked ahead for us and we were glad they had as the room was virutally full. We waited for several minutes for someone to acknowledge our arrival and the service from then on was not what you would call warm. The menu is very local which is what we had gone for. Fish appears prominently especially flying fish, which was fried, served with steamed vegetables. My colleagues pronounced it good and they were glad they had tried it, but perhaps not wowed. I had Guayana shrimp curry and I was definitely underwhelmed. The shrimps tasted of being frozen and the curry was ho hum. The food was reasonably priced but we could have done better.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

We have been visiting Brown Sugar since before the fire some years ago.

The setting is very relaxed with waterfall garden features. It is slightly "hidden away" but is close to the Hotel Grand Barbados.

Menu and service are consistently good. Make sure, however, that you take some anti mosquito spray if sitting in the garden patio area.

Like a lot of truly "local" restaurants, Brown Sugar does quieten down after 10.00pm.

Some reviewers have found fault with Brown Sugar, we can only speak as we find and say that it doesn't pretend to be "The Cliff" but we have never been disappointed.

1  Thank NiallFleming
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Best tasting local dishes and nice atmosphere. Lots of greenery around and lovely waterfall.