“You get what you pay for....a basic budget value but clean apartment...”

Walmer Lodge Apartments
London
“You get what you pay for....a basic budget value but clean apartment...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I've actually stayed at Walmer Lodge twice, both long-term rentals, i.e. for periods over six weeks. I freely admit to loving my home comforts - I'm an all-mod cons kind of gal, and have low tolerance for low standards. So the fact that I returned to Walmer Lodge would be sufficient for anyone who knows me well to appreciate that it is not as bad as some of the reviews claim. Yes, the decor and furnishings are tired, but not shabby, and certainly not decrepit, though yes, an upgrade would bring much needed new life to the apartment (I am speaking here only of the apartment that I stayed in, as I can't speak for any others). The cleaner did a thorough job and I appreciated coming home to a clean and tidy apartment after a long hard day on the beach - ooops!, I meant at work (both visits were actually work-related). I'm very much a self-catering person, and the kitchen met all my requirements. The owners were very quick to respond to any issues raised (though yes, email responses could take longer) but they generally always dealt with any problems politely and as quickly as they were able to do so. The apartments are not luxurious by any means - if you want luxury on Barbados, then you have to pay the appropriate costs. But they are of a reasonable standard, clean and have many other advantages. First of all, location. Location is everything and the apartments are situated practically on an almost deserted but safe beach. There are a good few shops in the immediate vicinity - the gas station on the corner sells a wide range of food, drink and other items, as well as hot coffee, hot patties etc...and its open quite late. As well, a few minutes walk will bring you to other grocery stores that are perfectly adequate for replenishing your everyday stuff. If you want to buy familiar European/western foods, then yes, you'll have to make the 20-30 minute journey into Holetown - and you'd have to be a real old grouch not to appreciate the joys of the journey to Holetown. The journey hugs the coastal road, providing a fantastic vista of blue seas, fishing boats, palm trees, and flowerings of heartbreakingly beautiful bougainvillea, hibiscus (and poinsettia in season) and the cutest little beach-side villas (as well as not so cute large hotels). It's best done by bus - taking here about the government buses rather than the independently owned ZRs which can be very cramped, and you might have to share your seat with a couple of hens..a few yards outside the Walmer Lodge is the bus-stop where you can.catch the blue and yellow government bus - time it right, i.e. outside rush hour, the right time and it will be practically empty (the return journey is not always the case). Walmer Lodge is also terrifically located for anyone visiting the Barbados Archives (which are located in the Lazaretto, no more than 5 minutes walk away ---a lovely cool building with interesting views (and great staff)). It's also ideal for visitors to the University of the West Indies, as the Cave Hill campus is in very short walking distance (cut through the Lazaretto grounds for a short-cut, don't worry about the cows, they're tethered). Either way, it's an uphill walk which will leave you feeling virtuous having had your day's exercise. (If you do go to the campus, take the opportunity to find the viewing points that overlook the harbour ...it's really very special and some of the best views of the island can be had from here...a very well-kept secret). Aside from that, the owners are friendly and helpful, and yes, do make use of the roof-top terrace...great for quiet chilling during the day or night. Another reviewer mentioned the noise...I've always found that area to be pretty quiet....I was there on a work and research visit and spent many evenings working in solitude in my apartment - I don't ever remember being disturbed or woken up by noise from traffic, though if you are there for Foreday morning, you may well be woken by the early morning start to the festivities - Walmer Lodge is also ideally situated for many of the carnival events, another of its great selling points. It's really important that visitors (and this doesn't just apply to Barbados) remember that these tourist destinations are the homes of local people, who have to go about their daily business, and unless you're on one of the big exclusive all-inclusive, you should not expect to be shielded from these realities - you wouldn't go to London and complain about noise! (But then most visitors to London wouldn't be staying anywhere near 'normal' Londoners!). I'd certainly stay there again for a short visit, but no, it's not, in my view, somewhere that I would want to stay with my family - simply because they and myself would want more mod cons, huge tv screens, a pool and beach bar on their door steps etc fora real chilled out family holiday.

Room Tip: If you're at all unhappy with your room, let the owners know, and they'll change it if rooms...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank sunlovingme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brikama, Gambia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Small family-run homely apartments-selfcontained close to everything u need-transport no prob-clubbing restaurants everything nearby-n d beach fabulous-5 min walk-the hostesses very helpful knowledgeable n accommodating.def will stay again!

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank Great Heron F
Port of Spain, Trinidad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Having read several reviews prior to booking this location, I really wasn't expecting much. Located just about 3 minutes from the quiet Batt's Rock Beach in Black Rock, this family owned facility was ideally suited for my 2 night stay. The facility is rather old and could do with major upgrading but the free WiFi, air-conditioned rooms, fully equipped kitchen the reasonable rates and close proximity to major conveniences including the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies, was just what i needed for my rather hectic trip. After all, I really just needed a place to get a good nights rest. Let me say that this is no 3,4 or 5 star facility, but if you're the budget traveler its worth considering. I would however state that even thought the property is old and caters for the budget spender, there are some basic areas that could be improved with not much effort. My main disappointment was the poor condition of the grounds, particularly at the rear of the property leading to the beach. The area is littered with old suitcases and other pieces of rubble which in my view is most distasteful. The presence of several cats on the compound also has no place in a hotel. So having said all of this, will I stay there again? I probably would if I'm on my own and doing business in the Cave Hill area. Not the place for a family vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Papertrailer
Medicine Hat, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

Sure it's tired but many of the rooms have new furniture since we were here two years ago. What we like:
1) very close to a great beach - 3-4 minutes to Batt's Rock Beach
2) economical - studio, one and two bedroom apartments with complete kitchens at decent prices
3) free wifi and satellite TV
4) very friendly family owned facility
5) meet people who come back year after year
6) close enough to convenience store, grocery and other facilities
7) monkeys in the trees just off our balcony
8) did I mention the almost empty perfect beach with a lifeguard?
9) Air Canada flight attendants have found the place and stay for their mini vacations - so it's not just old folks

What you might not like:
1) not a party place for young people (tho last night the owners held a dinner on the roof patio and supplied great Bajan food - guest each brought a dish from a home recipe)
2) south beaches, hotels and restaurants are better for quick holidays where you want to stay up late, go to the beach early and party
3) it's not the Ritz and you have to be prepared for plastic chairs on the deck and at some of the dinner tables

Sure hope this helps. I notice that several of the negative comments are from people who chose not to stay - too bad for them.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank bgardiner1
Buja, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

Please, read all to the conclusion: When we arrived we were disappointed...sure we were very tired after a long flight. The apartment wasn,t meeting our expectations. We are a family of four with 2 little daughters, and we had asked for a cot before reserving the apt, that was missing. So we joined the 3 single beds in the rooms toward the wall, placing some cushions to protect our younger daughter from falls on the floor during the night. Except for the difficulties in communication (some not answered emails) we were uncertain about what we would have found. The apartments are very close to a main road with a lot of traffic. First nights were quite terrible, plus the jet lag, you can immagine. Also it was impossible to darken the room. Neon light coming from the ceiling of the little balcony outside disturbed us till i managed to unplug it on the second night. Barbados has a lot of traffic. Only in the weekend is quite. The apartment are confortable during the morning. Bat beach is very close, nice, secluded and quite, but effectively the access is a bit messy (we had also a pram). Also in the period we staied there , there were working in progress next to the beach...they are building some sort of big holiday resort. Every day we had the apt cleaned, towels changed and we hadn't anything to complain about it. The furniture are old and worn out, but working. Also the bathrooms (we visited also the contiguous apts) are old, cleaned yes, but in a desperate need of renovation. To reach the west coast, we had to drive in the traffic every day for at least 30-40 minutes, but the cost per day was more then 40% less...so if you need a low budget long period vacation, could be a good choice.

Here come the good news. Internet wifi was free and working. That allowed us to call home at a low skypeout rate, instead of 6 euros per minute using the mobile. The old owners, Keith and Marjoire, were very kind and patient...knowing that the complaints were based on true issues. We understood that they were doing what was possible...but the time passes for everybody. I don't wanto to be rude, but it's the way it is. They also invited us for a bithday dinner party in the great view terrace on the top of the main building. It was very nice to chat with them and with others guests, most of them were returning customers.

In the end, we appreciated the kindness and ospitality and we really loved the old couple. We almost felt at home at the end of the holiday. For those looking for an unexepensive and long term accomodation, it still remains a good choice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Alcampodisotto
Medicine Hat, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

Walmer is a bit tired as other reviews have said but the location is ideal if you want a longer term winter vacation - three week or more. The owners are wonderful people and even had all residents for a bar b que one night. Met other couples returning for 5th and 6th time. This is not a place for singles partying. Got time and want a safe, confortable place to stay then you can't beat the Walmer. The beach is amazzing and you can have it almost to yourself and the on duty lifeguard. Shopping for groceries is easy and there are some good restaurants fairly close by. By the way we were a bit surprised by the shabby sheik decore but given a couple days we really understood the value. Going back next year and for longer stay. PS - get to know the family owners and you'll be raving about your time in Barbados.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bgardiner1
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

I am writing this in the Walmer Lodge, with free WiFi. I rather like this place, and am surprised by the couple of aggressive earlier reviews.
- If you are a party animal with a lot of money to spend and you like to have cocktails served while you are relaxing at the pool, this is not the place for you.
- If you like a basic and quiet apartment with a low rent and outside the tourist area (but close to it, and close to Bridgetown), this might be the place for you.
- If you are working or studying at the West Indian University or the National Archives (both across the street), this might be the perfect place for you.
- The apartments have kitchens, living rooms, air conditioned bedrooms and balconies.
- It’s old, but for me that’s part of its charm. In my apartment everything is functioning (except the bottle-opener).
- The apartments are cleaned every day, including towels and bed sheets.
- I find the owners very friendly.
- The hotel is 3 minutes walking to a 24 hour gas station, bar, pizza place and convenience store.
- It has a factually private beach in the back yard.
- In my apartment, I didn’t smell anything disturbing and didn’t see holes in the ceilings.
- It’s interesting to note that none of the people who wrote a bad review actually STAYED in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Martijn1975
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgetown
Courtyard Bridgetown, Barbados
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,441 reviews
Ocean Spray Beach Apartments
Ocean Spray Beach Apartments
#26 of 49 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Walmer Lodge Apartments? Share your experiences!