“Must Do Once”

and up
Mount Gay Signature Rum Tour in Barbados
Ranked #11 of 91 things to do in Bridgetown
More attraction details
Owner description: Set against the brilliant blue of the Caribbean sea and sky, our Visitor Centre invites guests from around the world to discover the story behind Barbados' finest spirit. Greeted in our lush green garden, visitors will explore the history, heritage and craft of Mount Gay rums, while special tours treat you to a cocktail mixing session or a traditional Bajan lunch. Come learn of the distillation, ageing and blending techniques that have been perfected over 310 years of crafting the world's oldest rum! Mount Gay Rum: There is a Time and a Place.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This tour was ok. My husband and I were the only ones there for the first tour of the day at 9:30 AM. After a few shots of rum, I can understand why people may come later! It was not a long tour, and our guide was knowledgeable, but I think they should lighten up a little. You are touring a rum factory, so add a little more humor and friendliness. Maybe it was just her way...

The rums were good - you could definitely tell the difference between the varieties.
There is a gift shop where things are priced as you would expect.

It's something I think every first time visitor to Barbados should do, but I won't feel the need to go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,387)
All reviews
in 20 reviews
"history lesson"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The tour takes you through the bottling factory, small museum, a short video, and a tasting room. It's a well organized tour that's worth the time. You learn some interesting facts about the product and they allow everyone to taste test a number of their best rums. Our tour ended with a free lunch (included in price) and there's a nice giftshop attached to the lunch patio area. The prices on rum in this shop are ok, you can get it for similar if not lower prices at the airport. If you enjoy rum, it's definitely worth a visit. Not a good tour for kids though as we learned the hard way when our child began making loud protests. Better enjoyed if it's adults only.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was a great way to spend a few hours on a rainy day. The tour guide was both engaging and funny. We learned a lot about rum we didn't know. Sure, it was touristy but when you are a tourist it is ok right? Very nice tour, and generous samples at the end. I bought a bottle of the 1703 Mt. Gay rum at the end of the tour. It wasn't terribly expensive. I planned on buying scotch when I got here and quickly realized that rum was more appropriate. This rum was absolutely delicious to sip on the rocks with a good cigar. I highly suggest trying it!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

The tour consists of a brief introduction in one room to some of the key people in the history of rum making, moving to the next room to see two types of stills, continue on to a little theater for a 12 minute movie on rum making and the history of Mount Gay Rum, back into the still room for a tasting of 3 different rums and an explanation of the differences between them, and then a walk into the small factory where the rum is bottled. It is distilled in a different location on the north part of the island. The tour guide was nice and informative and the tour, while short, was interesting. One minor complaint, they had some interesting information on the walls of the first room and in the still room, but one really didn't have an opportunity to read it all. We did not stay for lunch so can't comment on that. If you like factory tours, you may be disappointed by this one. There is not a lot of factory to see and you are a bit far from the filling operation. If, however, you just want to get a feel for one of the businesses that has helped define Barbados, the tour is worth your time. I wouldn't consider it a "must see" but rather a fun place to check out if you have the time while in Barbados. One other caveat, check the tour times before going. When we were there, the tours only ran once an hour on the half-hour. Not knowing that, we arrived 45 minutes too early (or 15 mins too late) and had to wait until the next tour. Luckily, they had a nice shaded sitting area so this was not too much of a problem.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were glad we made our own way there by taxi and not gone on the Virgins tour. It is cheap and value for money but I think having been on other distillery tours around the world slightly disapointed because no distilling happens at this sight. The vast majority of the tour comprimises of watching a video, although this is well presented and informative. The tour guide had the typical bajan banter which I loved. If its rum your after you get large shots x 3 during your tour and the bar has the best cocktails in Barbados. I was very drunk at the end ;P