“An acquired taste”

The Reefs
Scottsdale, Arizona
“An acquired taste”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2005

Just returned from a week at the Reefs and appreciate all that this hotel delivers to anyone wanting good service and comfortable surroundings. Coming from Arizona and the mega resorts here, I was surprised to walk into the lobby of the hotel to find a simple front desk and a couple of chairs in the area. The exercize room is minimal at best. We had decided to splurge for the Points Suite, and here too, the room was simple and not particularly large for the money, but with a position over the water that was unbelievable. It wasn't until a couple of days here that I realized the magic of this place though, which to us was the consistent excellent quality of the meals and the attitude of the staff. By the end of the week we had fallen in love with the quaintness of common rooms, romantic position of Coconuts Restaurant, and the amazing beach sand and water clarity. Advice for mega resort afficionados is to go to the Southampton Princess, otherwise let go and let this place grow on you. At checkout, the sight of vacationers hugging staff and receiving commemorations of 5 and 10 year repeat visits spoke volumes.

• Stayed May 2005
28 Thank fbcscottsdale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
West Windsor,NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2005

My husband and I have visited The Reefs Hotel 7 times and we love it. The staff is friendly, the food is excellent and the view is fantastic. I hated to leave and I shall return.

• Stayed April 2005
9 Thank Harrberl
Bonaire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2005

This was our 7th or more visit to The Reefs, a delightful property part of the Bermuda Collection. It is located in Southhampton near Gibbs Lighthouse. The property has suites and cottages suited well for honeymooners and family gatherings. There was a wedding on site at the seaside deck. Fabulous setting.

The perpetual pool and jacuzzi are set with the majestic Atlantic as a backdrop. Lovely gardends lovingly cared for by staff that has worked at The Reefs some for over 35 years. This says alot about owner David Dodwell's management style. Actually the manager Neil Stephans is a top man in this area. There was nothing that wasn't close to perfect.

We always do the MAP plan because dining in BDA is really pricey and being part of the Bermuda Collection allows you to dine at a few other places. We have dined at Stonington (now has another name) and it is great. Cambridge Beaches has a super menu and staff but the room is painted in pinks and greens which to me appeared tacky vs typicaly Bermudian. Also it is very old money and VERY very stuffy. Unlike the Reefs which has a club atmosphere in a very friendly manner.

Dining is incredible, 4-5 course. The staff, mostly Bermudians care for all your needs and are well skilled in what they do. We had one very grumpy and controlling waitress who has a reputation for being less than wonderful so we just avoided her station. The menu is creative and the presentation superb. My favorite meal is breakfast served near the fountain in the conservatory. You can enjoy a typical Bermudian breakfast, tortillas and eggs with hash or some more traditional items. Fresh fruit and the most amazing baked breads are prepared fresh daily.

Nightly entertainment consists of low key after dinner music with steel band music, piano and similiar. I prefered night walks to work off the many desserts I enjoyed. Speaking of walks, The Reefs has mapped out 5 routes which I tried each day. BEAUTIFUL way to see the island's neighborhoods. Lovely gardens abound.

A treat was a visit to artist, Lisa Quinn's Gallery in back of the tennis courts. Each Tue. she holds a wine and cheese reception. She has great talent. Her gallery is simply magical.

My 13 year old loved tennis with pro Eugene. He is the best. My 82 year old and her friend wanted Crofts Original Sherry and it was delivered. This hotel is simply amazing.

What else can I tell you? Try it and you will surely be what is known as a repeater.

26 Thank caribchakita
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a short stay at The Reefs and it could not have been more perfect! We had a beautiful junior suite accomodation on the upper level. The bathroom was fabulous with both a large separate shower and tub. Every night we left the sliding glass door to the balcony open to hear the sound of the waves gently crashing on the beach. We watched glorious sunsets from the comfortable chairs on our balcony. Dining was exceptional and service was prompt and efficient. We can see why this is THE premium small resort in Bermuda!

Stayed April 2005
16 Thank hpliz
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2005

My husband and I were married at The Reefs in October, 2004. Despite all our planning we couldn't plan the weather and our wedding ceremony (supposed to be outside on Caso's Point) was smack in the middle of Tropical Storm Nicole's nastiest of days in Bermuda. The staff at The Reefs went out of their way to keep this bride from panic. They took me for a tour through their restaurants and the morning of my wedding we made alternate plans to hold the ceremony at Coconuts which is still outside overlooking the beautiful ocean but does have a roof. I would have been crushed if I had to move the ceremony indoors. The Reefs saved the day! Our ceremony was beautiful (and interesting given the torrential downpour & strong winds). And our dinner/reception that was planned for Ocean Echo (under a tent) went on as planned despite the fact that The Reefs staff was getting soaked serving our dinners. No one from The Reefs complained even once and they actually were laughing and having a great time with all of our guests as Tropical Storm Nicole tried to take the tent away (it actually did blow away the next day). My husband and I honeymooned the rest of the week at The Reefs and we LOVED it there. It is a beautiful spot, the staff is great, the food is amazing and we enjoyed every second of our stay. The Reefs staff made every effort to make sure we had a good time. I've seen other reviews on TripAdvisor that claim The Reefs is a bit pricey at $500+ per night but considering that includes a full breakfast and a wonderful dinner $500 is not too bad. We ate one evening at Henry VIII's (very good) and the bill was over $100 just for the two of us. If you consider a $100 dinner included in the room price plus the cost of going to breakfast (all meals are very expensive in Bermuda) then the cost of the room really doesn't seem so bad...more like $350. My husband and I agree...when we go back to Bermuda we are going back to The Reefs.

• Stayed October 2004
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Natick, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2005

As frequent visitors to Bermuda(the best vacation spot off the east coast) we wouldn't consider staying anyplace but The Reef's. The resort is small and relaxing with both great service and outstanding food. Long before you leave, the hotel staff will know you by name--something you'd never find at a larger hotel on the island. Can't say enough nice things about it!

• Stayed November 2003
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,363 reviews

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!