“Amazing ~ again!”
Review of The Reefs

The Reefs
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My husband and I returned to The Reefs this past weekend for an anniversary celebration - just as we had done for our first stay one year ago.
The Reefs "stepped it up" even more-so than I last remember.
Easy check-in, lovely room over-looking the pool - but still with ocean views.
Staff so genuinely friendly, so very helpful.
Dinner and breakfast excellent.
Thank you once again to all who work at this fine establishment.
Tremendous!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kim h
Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at The Reefs last October. It was gorgeous, but they did a bait and switch on the room so the first night we had an undesirable room. It was especially annoying because we were only there for 4 nights and we wasted half the next day moving to another room. Unfortunately, that was the only day the weather was good! We also had to pay a lot more for the new room so the trip became much more expensive than we had planned. They also added a service charge to the total bill that was not negotiable and not disclosed. Not good!
They had a lovely buffet breakfast and the service was good in there. However, the front desk service was abominable! It took an hour to check-in but we thought that was due to the room problem. We waited for half an hour to get bus information one day. The worst was that it took an hour and a half to check out!!! Naturally, the rain had stopped that day so the 3 hours I had for beach time became one and a half.
I've given them an "Average" rating because the location is beautiful, and certain things were excellent, but other things were poor. They need a concierge.

Room Tip: The "junior suites" overlooking the beach were the nicest.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

Dear Amy B,

I am sorry to hear that your experience at The Reefs did not meet your expectations. Being that your stay was over 8 months ago, it is difficult for me to know the exact details, however I would like to assure you that we would never engage in any type of bait and switch tactic. Our reputation is our most important value and we would never deliberately do anything to potentially damage it.

Once again, not knowing the details, I am assuming that when you arrived, the location of your room was not to your preference. All of our rooms have ocean views and have distinct locations around the property. Many guests have preferences in terms of the area of the property they like the most - some guests prefer upper versus lower level for example and what works for one, may not be the ideal for another. I am guessing that unfortunately we did not have any other rooms in that category available we could offer you and the only other option if you wanted to move would be a higher category, which would come with a rate difference. This is always a voluntary choice - we would never move a guest into a higher category and pay a higher rate without them choosing to do so, unless it was due to mechanical issues in the room for example, which caused that room to be put out of order, for which we would waive any upgrade fee of course.

We are also always very upfront about our daily service charge, which covers gratuities for your bellmen, housekeeping staff and wait staff for breakfast, and is standard practice in Bermuda. It is on every confirmation and is also described on our website so I apologize if there was a misunderstanding here.

I am sorry to hear of the delays in your interactions with our front desk staff. Since October, we have made many changes to our front desk, including the addition of a concierge now, but I will pass along your feedback for continued training.

Once again, I apologize for any frustration you encountered and I hope that despite these challenges, you still enjoyed your stay with us.

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We didn't stay here, although the incredible view made me wish we were!
We went for Sunday Brunch, which was fantastic, an amazing array of all types of food - seafood/smoked salmon/sushi, omelette/waffle station (with sugar-free syrup which, being diabetic is very much appreciated), eggs benedict/usual breakfast items, roast chicken/ribs/pork/lamb/Yorkshire puddings, huge range of desserts including chocolate fountain.
At $48 plus service, not cheap but we thought well worth it. The wife had the 'endless bubbles' option with prosecco on tap, so she really enjoyed that!
Waiting staff couldn't have been friendlier and were very attentive.
The views of the ocean from the dining room are to die for.
Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We were just married at the Reefs and I have to say this is the best place on the island to do it. The views are like no other and amazing for pictures. The staff was amazing and Kathleen the wedding planner is the best on the island. She made planning a wedding so easy even though we live in NY. If you want the most amazing wedding and no headache planning it all then this is the place to do it. Thank you so much for everything you guys truly are the greatest at what you do.

3  Thank wglax25
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Never really had a desire to visit Bermuda, Wife pushed the idea and I am glad she did. A friend recommended The Reefs. She was spot on. The place was beautiful, pool small but big enough and dazzling. The beach at the resort was excellent and i feel it rivals Horseshoe down the road, however 1/10th the crowd and better snorkeling right at the hotel. Included breakfast left nothing out and the staff was amazing. Everyone form day 1 till checkout treated us like royalty. The everyday staff members were delightful in their greetings and demeanor. I believe we will return sooner rather than later

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room, puts you closer to the action, and you get both the pool and ocean view in...
4  Thank John B
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Our third stay at The Reefs was great! Spectacular views, upgraded rooms, excellent staff, each room a separate "building" so you don't hear the neighbors. Top notch food and location. Quiet if you want but plenty of activities nearby. Many hotels are gone but, luckily, The Reefs carries on!

3  Thank Robert M
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My boyfriend and I spent weeks looking over all the hotels in Bermuda, deciding which one to stay at. We ended up choosing the Reefs because it seemed like it was the perfect place, luxury and all-inclusive. Let me start by saying we were prepared to pay whatever amount to get great service and a beautiful back drop.

The hotel itself it set in an absolutely gorgeous part of the island (the entire island is pretty fantastic). It is directly on the beach, and the water is breath taking. Make sure to get a "cliff side" room so that you will have the view we did, which was beach front. You can hear the waves coming into the shore at all hours, and it's quite relaxing.

Where the hotel goes wrong is customer service, or lack there of. There was NONE. We paid a pretty penny for this vacation, and expected to be treated well. It was definitely not worth the price. Every meal we had took forever. To get a glass of juice at breakfast took 20 min. The hotel staff was zero help when it came to deciding what to do on a rainy day, and no one could seem to come up with an answer to any of our questions. There is no room service (at least we were led to believe there was none) by asking several of the hotel employees. If you order a drink on the beach be prepared to wait at least 20 min, even though the bar is directly next to where you will sit. No one had a sense of urgency, and it seems the staff really doesn't care about how long something may take them to do, because there are no tips given to the staff (it's included in the reservation, they get 17% I think). I was absolutely appalled by the way we were treated for the money we spent.

I will go back to Bermuda, but not the The Reefs. It was not worth the money we spent at all.

1  Thank Tara B
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Tara W,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you also for chatting with me on the phone the other day in reagrds to your visit to The Reefs. As mentioned in our discussion, it was very surprising to hear that we did not meet your expectations, as it is very unlike us, as evidenced by other reviews on this site.

We are known for our service to our guests and creating an inviting and comfortable experience, so I am once again sorry that this did not come through during your stay. I hope I was able to reassure you that this is far from a normal experience at The Reefs and that the overwhelming majority of our guests leave feeling that it was the personal and attentive service that really made their trip special.

We welcome the opportunity down the road to give you a true "Reefs" experience and we hope to see you back with us soon.

David Dodwell Jr

#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!