“Absolutely perfect!”
Review of The Reefs

The Reefs
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My husband and I went for a quick three night stay at the end of March to celebrate the end of my chemotherapy. Bermuda had always been high on my list of places to visit and I my husband begrudgingly agreed because it was where I wanted to go. He was quickly converted into an unwavering fan of the island and the Reefs. For myself, I had high hopes to say the least and it did not disappoint! The resort is situated on probably one of the most beautiful private beaches I have ever seen. It is intimate and provides a real sense of community. People return here year after year and it is easy to see why. I'll quickly go through some of the items that I found helpful to know before picking the Reefs...

Rooms: We booked the cheaper poolside rooms. Yes, privacy on your balcony could be an issue but the views were still incredible. Since we were there in March, the resort was relatively quiet so it wasn't much of an issue. The room had recently been updated with new tile floor, new bedding, and new bathroom. It was odd that so much was invested in the room but then things like the dresser, the ceiling fan, and the window curtains were obviously pre-renovation. Easy fixes which did not bother us a bit. The bed was comfortable, towels were huge and of nice quality, nice quality toiletries, Keurig with an assortment of coffee, safe, complimentary water bottles/ginger beer/ and rum, fridge, ironing board/iron, bath robes, umbrella, ipod dock, and flat screen TV.

Staff: Staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating - and it did not feel put on. I have to say Bermudians are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. Bermuda is an expensive island and we were worried people would be snobbish. Not the case in the least.

Food: Our room rate included afternoon tea (assortment of tea, sandwiches, and sweets) and full breakfast. Both were wonderful. We ate at the resort two nights and both meals were good. I think I was expecting the best food ever with what we paid but needless to say they were still nice meals and service was exceptional. We were able to save a few dollars by purchasing wine/beer and snacks to keep in our room at Henry VIII's Pantry just up the street. Check out the dining room at Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. Easy walk and very good.

Hotel: Hotel was gorgeous with incredible views of the Atlantic. Some people might think it is dated b/c it was built in the 1940s. This was actually a draw for me. It was a taste of old Bermuda and it was fun to think of so many people before us enjoying such as fabulous place! Absolutely gorgeous beach and pool. Chairs/umbrellas/towels provided. All additional water sports are included in the price which I hear are extra at many other resorts. Beautiful terrace to enjoy the sunset with a drink. We also enjoyed the spa - easily best massage I have ever had.

We would not hesitate to recommend The Reefs to anyone!!

8  Thank MB6td
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear MB6td,

We are thrilled to hear you had a great time with us during your very special trip. We pride ourselves on providing a great experience to our guests and are very happy that you really enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope to welcome you back as one of our repeat guests!

Resort Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,130)

Reviewed March 31, 2014

Went for girls long weekend. Loved the food. The staff was super friendly and helpful. Gorgeous beach , infinity pool and hot tub overlooking ocean, Only negative thing was housekeeping washes the room glasses by hand in the bathroom sink. I'd prefer they go through a dishwasher. But all in all a fun time and would definitely return.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Laurie T
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We arrived at the Reefs hotel for a extended holiday.

The hotel is aging but has breathtaking views , in particular the cliffside rooms overlooking the ocean are outstanding. Breakfast and sunday brunch were good enough but the service was shockingly disappointing.

I felt as though the breakfast staff had a particularly brusque and nasty attitude and spoke to us in a very rude condescending manner daily. Even a simple request for coffee was handled in a very high handed way by the breakfast staff which was disappointing and unnecessary. This became difficult to ignore ....after all we are paying a good amount for a well earned vacation and simple courtesy goes a long way. Not a good example of bermudian hospitality.

Room Tip: Cliffside , center rooms, away from jacuzzi
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Imran R
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Imran R,

I am very sorry to hear of your experience during your stay with us. One of the things we are renowend for is our dedication to service and our guest's satisfaction, as evidenced by other reviews here, so I was very surprised to hear of your observations.

I have passed along your feedback to our food and beverage team, so that they may investigate accordingly and address any inconsistencies with our traditionally high level of service.

Thank you for bringing these to our attention and we hope to see you back at The Reefs sometime in the future.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Decided to go to Bermuda in last week of March just to get away from the Boston cold. Picked this property as it had good reviews. Not knowing what to expect, we were blown away by the spectacular views of the ocean from all parts of the hotel. The terrace and the outside area of Ocean Echo restaurants had the beautiful views of the ocean and the beach. The coconut restaurant (closed for off-season) would have been the a spectacular place to eat with beach and ocean views. The beach is large enough and the swimming was great. (Water temperature 68F). We were in a Cliffside room. Small with low ceilings but comfortable. It had a great balcony. We had a full view of the Atlantic even when sitting on the bed.
Well, the best part of the hotel was the staff. Courteous, friendly, eager to make the stay comfortable and very pro-active. The concierge booked us restaurants, taxis, tours and even got us bus tokens for the local buses. Overall, an excellent place to stay in Bermuda.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Mihir S
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I had read earlier reviews about construction work and I was a little apprehensive before my wife and I arrived. I am pleased to confirm everything appeared to be complete and there was no sign of any construction work going on. We found our room to be in excellent condition with a superb view. The main restaurant and bars are well equipped and have an excellent selection of good quality food and drinks. All of the staff are very friendly and efficient. After just one day, many of them remember your name and use it in conversation. Afternoon tea is complementary and very well attended. The beach is simply perfect. Likewise the swimming pools. Some of the amenities such as Coconuts beach restaurant were not open because the season does not really start until April. It will be worth returning again for the Coconuts dining experience. I repeat, all of the staff were excellent. Shannae on reception, Edwina in the restaurant and Granville in the bar all went out of their way to make our vacation special. We will return.

2  Thank Gasimen
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Spectacular site, wonderfully welcoming, helpful staff, and the food was good. The facility, however is aging. Built in the 1940s, time, salt and wind take their toll. Some maintenance issues in our room (Longtail suite): There was no hot water in the morning. The shower could not be turned fully off, and dripped continuously. The generous bathtub could not be filled as the stopper didn't work. The key to the entrance door was hard to work. And the lighting in the entrance room was quite dim. In addition to these room issues, there was smell of mildew in the hotel's lounge. The owners have spent a lot on maintenance in recent years but will need to do more.

1  Thank David B
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Dear David B,

Thank you very much for your review and we are very happy to hear that overall, you had a great stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear of the couple maintenance issues in your room unfortunately. We have already passed your feedback along to our engineering team, who have already rectified the issues you described.

As you may know, we just reopened the hotel on March 11th after being closed for a period this winter for renovations and I believe you arrived on opening day. We did have a few small maintenance hiccups in those first few opening days so I am sorry if those affected your stay.

But we are glad that you enjoyed your stay overall and we sincerely hope to see you back at The Reefs soon.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We decided to visit Bermuda in the off-season (when the weather was a big improvement on ours in NC) which meant that some of the usual amenities were not available. No problem. We got a great deal on a two-bedroom suite - a bedroom on either side of the shared den, kitchen and balcony - with a gorgeous view of the rocky shore, the beach area and ocean, all at about what a hotel room would have cost. The beds were super comfortable. The kitchen included a fridge, microwave, range and dishwasher.
The desk staff were very cooperative and helped us put together a 4-hour tour of the island with a local driver and advised us on restaurants, etc. The continental breakfast was a little sparse, but fine for our needs. We'd certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: They say that, in season when things are crowded, it's best not to have a room close to the pool...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!