In desperate need of a revamp but unfortunately you can see how this would escalate from one thing to another. Our room (320) had a brand new bathroom which unfortunately highlighted just how much the bedroom needed revamping. The mirror in the new bathroom had pencil lines around it from where they'd placed it for aligning hooks to hang it...these hadn't been erased or painted over. The cliffside room was very basically furnished & dark....no desk but stationary supplied but no writing utensils, only 3 sidelights & on one of these the on/off switch fell off (no main ceiling lighting) It was also impossible to have any decent lighting in the bathroom so as to apply make-up effectively & the sliding wardrobe doors needed full force. It wasn't luxury by any means but for our week of R&R, we were comfy.
The terrace was large with a fantastic unobscured view of the beach & sea plus we weren't overlooked by other rooms/balconies/terraces. It was exactly what we wanted. It had full sun from midday-ish and you could watch the sunset from there. The door leading from the bedroom to the terrace was warped and could only be opened by being forced with a knee.
The staff are completely approachable & The Reefs is clearly a place which prides itself on happy employees. The location is great....no flight path, we felt very safe & the housekeeping staff (when they did show up) proved themselves to be totally trustworthy. On the subject of h/keeping, they showed up only 3 nights of our 7. One of these times we had locked the door & put the "Do not disturb" sign out but the staff chose to unlock our door & walk in anyway! As a general rule, they tried to get into our room 6-6.30pm which was bad timing as that was when we were getting ready for the evening. They didn't return while our room was empty....a little communication or initiative would have told them maybe to look at their restaurant reservations, see when we would be vacating the room & then come in at an appropriate time.
Check-out time is officially 11am but h/keeping showed up at 10.20 while we were packing. Again, just a little communication from Front Desk & they'd have known this. We were given a room for the day as our flight wasn't til the evening.
The food throughout was incredibly good. Yes a fair amount of it is fried but there is a good choice of healthier alternatives too.
The spa is absolutely beautiful...not promoted highly enough at all. Like most of the facilities, they aren't signposted or advertised due to 90% of the guests being repeat clientele.
Wifi is available but do NOT rely on it. Out of a whole hour, we managed to have connection for just 3 minutes in total & this was patchy. If you need to do anything online without it timing out or losing it, you'll have to use the PC provided by The Reefs.
I would return again but make sure I had a newly refurbished room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Widely recognized as the best hotel in Bermuda, this award-winning and intimate hotel offers spectacular ocean views from every room. Perched along limestone cliffs overlooking its own private beach you'll enjoy legendary Bermudian hospitality and gourmet dining at three different restaurants. The Reefs is one place where you will feel perfectly at ease. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Reefs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Resort Southampton
- The Reefs Bermuda/Southampton Parish
- Reefs Bermuda