“Wonderful Resort!”

The Reefs
Walnut Creek, CA
“Wonderful Resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We spent 14 nights at the Reefs in September. The Reefs is a lovely resort with great staff and amazing chefs!. Everyone is so friendly and they go out of their way to greet you by name. I am a vegetarian and I am always a bit worried about what I'm going to find to eat while in the tropics. I have to say I have never eaten so well! I had 14 different vegetarian dinners that were the most delicious and creative meals I've ever had. The chefs were amazing and went above and beyond to make me happy with the food!! Renato, the Italian head chef was truely a gem, he and his team are incredible and I hope The Reefs do everything they can to keep them there as they are world class!! We loved eating at Coconuts, being out in the open above the beach and water, it's what being in a tropical location is all about. Ocean Echo has a terrace which is nice to eat on but it wasn't always open if it looked like rain, I did find this frustrating as the inside restaurant is nice but it's air conditioned and can be very cold which I didn't like as I like to be outside in the tropical air. We ate in Roystons two times, it wasn't our favorite. It's inside and again quite cold with the A/C on. The chef at Roystons made me an amazing vegetarian burger, but my partner said the meat options were just 'OK'. I did have the pizza the other time we ate in there and it wasn't good, very much like cardboard, it does seem a bit of a different kind of restaurant to have there. it wasn't open every night, mainly weekends.

We rented a scooter which I highly recommend. You can see parts of the island you would not be able to get to on the bus. Entertainment is low key at the hotel, they have a piano player a couple of times a week who is incredibly talented and a joy to listen to.

Our room was adequate, not very big, the A/C was noisy but we didn't need it on at night so we didn't find it a problem. The bathroom could have been better, it would get very steamy as the A/C didn't really reach it and there wasn't a fan in there. The main downside to the bathroom was that the closet was in there so all our clothes would get quite damp because of that. The shower was big which was nice and the bathroom products are Loccitane.

The beach is nice, not huge and the sun beds are all set out very close to each other but we never had a problem getting an unbrella and beds. The staff on the beach were also really great. We stayed in Room 323 which was a Cliffside room. It ended up being good, we did ask for an upper level room away from the restaurants. This was a lower room and overlooked Coconuts which at first we didn't like and asked for another room. The other choices were not as good and we stayed with 323 which was actually fine. The restaurant wasn't a problem as Coconuts doesn't have entertainment in the evening so gets quite when everyone leaves.

Overall the Reefs is a lovely resort to stay at, not perfect but definately one of the nicest we've experienced. It is expensive but it's Bermuda and everything is expensive! We met some really nice people there and there are many repeat visitors, which says a lot. In my opinion after visiting the Southampton Princess the Reefs is much nicer, much more intimate and personable.

Room Tip: Go with the Cliffside rooms, the pools rooms do not have any privacy and would be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank islandgirl3374

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I don't know why the Bermudian govt doesn't advertise Bermuda to us in the States. It's such an easy trip to get here and so much nicer than Florida. Anyway, this hotel is the best. Not too big or small. It was my birthday and our 25 th anniv so we were upgraded to a suite with the most amazing view. We got the package with breakfast. Good idea. There's a mini refrig which I love. One of the best things every hotel should do is give free internet. This one does. The beach is beautiful and we had one of our best dinners here. Our fave staff member was Winfield. But everyone here is so friendly. The only thing I would update is the gym but we were only here for three nights so we only went once.

Room Tip: Room 343 close to everything.
1 Thank Happyislander3817
Walpole, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I just got back from 5 days at the Reefs. We had a clif side room that overlooked the ocean. The view was unbelivable! Our room was a good size, had a mini fridge, a very nice bathroom but the king size bed was two twins pushed together. ( I knew this from previous reviews.) It was very expensive, but nice that they included airport transportation and breakfast daily. The food overall was very good. We ate at Coconuts two nights and at Roylstons one night. I would recommend Coconuts at sunset, you can't beat the beautiful view. There is a liquor store within walking distance that you can purchase small snacks and drinks to take to the room. They have snorkel gear and kayaks on the beach that you can use without a fee. Service was always exceptional.

1 Thank tarawilson13
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the Reefs for our silver wedding anniversary. The whole place is well manicured, all staff are really friendly and polite and the cliff top room (345) was brilliant and looked straight at the sunset.
We ate at Coconuts and Royston's and both were lovely (lemon chicken/mushroom risotto at coconuts and blue cheese burgers at Royston's) but Royston's better value we thought.
Only grumbles were both to do with prices. Firstly, the rom was $645 a night which is crazy and in addition a further 19% was added every day for tax and gratuities. This will certainly discourage us from returning.
I don't know why Bermuda has the stupid practice of adding 15% to every bill for gratuities " for the customers convenience" ! Gratuities should always be at the customers discretion and a reflection of the actual service experience surely?

Room Tip: Cliff top, top floor. 345 was great.
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I are still talking about our fun week at The Reefs.
All of the staff are gentile, friendly and accommodating. We wondered how many of the staff knew our names.
Coconuts, the restaurant, is beautiful and right on the water. We enjoyed all of the dishes especially the thai seafood curry. The Caesar Salad is also memorable.
The beach is the star of the show! Kayaking and finding little hidden coves was great fun and adds just enough excitement to the day. My husband even tried the paddle board but alas did not master it. These activities are complementary. Mostly we loved reading ,sunning and swimming a the most charming beach ever. The water is as clear as glass.
Wifi access is part of the room charge and there are many extras also included like a cocktail party, movie on the beach, rum drinks, and beach chairs
The Reefs is small, intimate and so quaint. There is no question that it must be privately owned. I always prefer this sort of atmosphere. Chain restaurants and hotels always have that commercial aura and it is tiring to be charged separately for every little thing. Oh, by the way, even a newspaper can be ordered at The Reefs. I forgot, we had shuttle service to and from the airport...also included.
We throughly enjoyed every moment we were there. This place treats their patrons like valued guests.
Adele and Ken Morris

Room Tip: most have views, some are on third floor and may be too many stairs for some.
1 Thank Maineadele
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed at the Reefs October 5-9 using both Trip Advisor and personal recommendations and we were not disappointed! Several years ago we stayed at the Southampton Fairmont (which was then the Southampton Princess) and found it to be very nice although a little more formal and reserved. The Reefs was a great alternative for us as it was a little more laid back.

The hotel itself is older, built in the 1940's so the rooms are a little smaller but we weren't there to spend time in the room so that was fine. Also, be prepared to walk up and down lots of steps/hills going through the resort. After all, it is built into the cliffs. But this does make the property truly oceanfront. I agree with some fellow posters that I would not call this a "luxury" resort. It lacks some of the upgrades and amenities to fall into that category but it's still a very nice property.

We booked a cliffside room which offered great ocean views. Our room (323) was right above Coconuts through so there was some noise from the restaurant and part of our view was of the roof but neither of those bothered us.

As for the room, it was (as I mentioned) a little on the smaller side that what we are used to but it was fine for our needs. The bed was good, not great. It took several nights for us to realize that our kind bed was actually 2 twin beds put together. Hated the pillows! They were very hard.

The AC in the room was also very noisy. It turned off and on loudly during the night which would probably bother a light sleeper. We learned to turn it down low when we were leaving the room and to turn it off while we were there, particularly when we wanted to sit on the balcony as it was hard to talk over the noise.

The bathroom was nicely updated. The door was interesting though, clearly an add on at some point. It was a frosted glass door that didn't give the feeling of much privacy. Nice bath products. The water pressure left a lot to be desired. It took some adjusting of the two shower heads to get enough pressure to get all of the shampoo out of my hair.

The room had some nice amenities. A small fridge so we could walk up the Henry VIII and have some beer and snacks in the room. A Kuerig coffee maker, safe, ironing board and umbrella.

We were there to visit the beach and we were not disappointed here! It is a beautiful beach, partially protected by the reefs which makes it very calm. The Reefs provides complimentary ocean kayaks, snorkel equipment and SUP boards. There were plenty of chairs and umbrellas. We found the servers very attentive, checking on us to offer food and drinks on a regular basis. Most of our trip was spent right there, relaxing on the beach. However, after inquiring at the front desk, we learned that we could walk about a mile up the road and access Horseshoe Bay and several other beaches so we took advantage of this too.

As for the food, we loved everything we had to eat here! A word of caution, they advertise 3 restaurants but they aren't all always open. We ate at Roystons our first night as they don't require reservations. We were seated outside at our request and enjoyed a wonderful dinner of Rockfish while overlooking the ocean. The next night, we made reservations (which are required) at Coconuts. There was some confusion as the host could not locate our reservations and got very flustered. He had us sit at the bar for a few moments while he sorted things out. Once he did, we had an incredible table overlooking the ocean and had a different Rockfish dish than the night before. We bought the breakfast package which included the buffet, cook to order eggs and omelettes as well as waffles. We were told we could also order from the menu but didn't even want to. I would caution buying the dinner package as 2 of the nights we were there, Coconuts was the only option for dinner. I believe there is another package that allows you to visit several of the resorts for dinner and that might be a better option just for some variety.

Overall, we were very pleased with The Reefs and both agreed we would visit again!

Room Tip: Follow the advice of other members and book a cliffside room. The views are awesome!
1 Thank PghParrothead
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

we stayed one week at the end of August to September we loved every second/
it was a great getaway and appreciated all it had to offer. we usually stay down the street
but had some booking issues and were so happy we found this lovely place in bermuda.
we have new favorite restaurants now.
the views of the dining rooms are perfect to watch a storm or sunset/
the service was soo great as well.
the food was delicious/

Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,363 reviews

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!