The Reefs was recommended to us by friends who had stayed there twice. They accurately characterized it by saying that it was like staying in a large, privately owned home. For travelers who are expecting Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton rooms and amenities, you will be underwhelmed. However, if you understand that the rooms are nicely furnished, clean, modest in size and have spectacular views, you will enjoy yourself. When you visit The Reefs, built in 1947, you can observe that it cannot expand or enlarge its rooms due to the constraints of the point that extends into the ocean, so they have done their best by updating the bathrooms and furnishings to current upscale hotel standards. We chose the MAP which provided breakfast and dinner daily and felt that it was a very good value. The variety, quality and presentation of the breakfast and dinner entrees was exceptional. Service at the beach was outstanding and the beach itself was spotlessly clean. My wife availed herself of the Spa which she found to be a beautiful and relaxing experience. The transfers by taxi to the airport were on time and the drivers were great gentlemen. So, like radio77's review, are there some inconsistencies in the quality of service and attention to detail? Yes. Our overall experience with staff ranged from outstanding (Thank you Christina, Michelle, Stephanie, Edwina, Winfield - best dressed man in Bermuda - Usseff, Clarkston and Roydell,) to fair, to indifferent. Bar service in the main bar was spotty and terrace and beach furniture are in need of updating. Room floors needed to be mopped daily. It would also be nice to provide golf cart service to guests staying at the far end of the cliffside rooms and suites. It's a long steep climb to the resort's restaurants and public rooms in high heat and humidity.
Here's a comparison to consider: We spent 5 nights in a cliffside room with two meals a day for two people, airport transfers, tax and gratuity for $3,100. A simlilar stay at the Four Seasons Nevis which we visited a few years ago cost $4,000, did not include any food, had a very small beach, and views that can't possibly compete with The Reefs.
In summary, especially if you haven't visited Bermuda, I can't imagine a more beautiful setting. If you can justify the expense of one of the Club condos, good for you. If not, the Cliffside rooms are your best choice. Enjoy those Dark and Stormys!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Widely recognized as the best hotel in Bermuda, this award-winning and intimate hotel offers spectacular ocean views from every room. Perched along limestone cliffs overlooking its own private beach you'll enjoy legendary Bermudian hospitality and gourmet dining at three different restaurants. The Reefs is one place where you will feel perfectly at ease. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Priceline, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your The Reefs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Resort Southampton
- The Reefs Bermuda/Southampton Parish
- Reefs Bermuda