“Lovely vacation”

The Reefs
Glen Ridge, New Jersey
“Lovely vacation”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our third time at The Reefs, and we found that we liked the vacation better when we dined off-property. The resort itself is lovely, but the rooms are due for an update, and we are always surprised that others are impressed by the service: it's just so-so, especially at the restaurants. We would go back because it is one of the best in Bermuda, but we are still waiting for a Four Seasons-like resort to open on Bermuda someday!

Room Tip: Definitely cliffside!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GRNJtraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Succasunna, NJ
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Like others, I was a little concerned about what I might find when I finally got to The Reefs. Some people on here complained that it was old, and it is, built in 1947, I believe. Some have complained that the rooms are a little on the small side and not up to date. Maybe some of that is true compared to other islands and/or resorts. And I suppose if you came to Bermuda and decided to stay at this boutique hotel to spend lots of time in your room, that might be an issue. Some even complained that the food was not up to par, or just average. I don't know where those people dine but I consider myself to be a bit of a foodie and the food here would stand up to any restaurant, anywhere.
I don't know what those people are thinking and I'm not sure I'm interested, because The Reefs is a gorgeous property with a staff that is friendly, engaging and willing to help you out whenever they can. I don't know where they find all these personable individuals but whomever does the hiring and training should be commended. Edwina, a hostess in the restaurants, was one of the best individuals I've ever met on a property anywhere.
The views are something out of a picture postcard. The restaurants are all very good to excellent. We ate at Coconuts our first night, (very good food, excellent views), Ocean Echo the next three nights, (great views, excellent meals spaced nicely between each course) and Royston's one night, ( maybe the best meal I had in ten days on the island with the best frozen key lime pie I've ever had). The infinity pool is well maintained with gorgeous views that keep you in the pool longer than you wanted to stay. There is some form of entertainment every night, the bus stop is right outside the property, and there is a small convenience store about a three minute walk from the property in case you need to restock anything. The breakfasts will last you all day if you like or until tea which is very good, or until dinner, or until you find it difficult to find that notch on your belt. The beaches are clean and anything you need to make your beach experience more enjoyable is available to you at no extra charge. Even the soft pink sand is free.
If you choose to venture out a bus will take you to Dockyard, (20 minutes) or the scenic beaches of Warwick Long Bay and Jobson's Cove (10 minutes) where you can walk the 1.5 mile stretch to Horseshow Bay and take little paths which lead you to beautiful cliff top views.
So......if you're looking for a picture perfect location that has great food, a caring staff and a beautiful beach, The Reefs will be everything you want it to be. It would be hard to want for much more.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Taletimes
Barrington, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Absolutely spectacular property, pictures don't do it justice. Snorkeling from the beach (complimentary equipment), no need to go to Horseshoe. The pool is truly beautiful, wallow over to the edge for yet another great view of beach/ocean. You can enjoy every meal overlooking the beautiful turquise waters from the dining room or beachside restaurant, we tremendously enjoyed the fresh air breakfast w/ great buffet selections, enough to share with the friendly birds. Scooter rentals across street- don't forget to stay left. Rooms are perfect-clean and comfortable, staff is very nice- old school Bermudian hospitality. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: for true luxury, splurge and stay in one of the new condos
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate G
chester, nj
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed in the Club condo's and could not ask for any thing more. The views are spectacular from every room, appointments and furnishings are perfect, Pool area and beach are perfect. Food plan is a must as otherwise very expensive. 2nd visit and will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank mamadwo
Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I can express enough how happy my husband and I were with our wedding at the Reefs. From the ceremony to the dinner (which everyone said was the best meal they had on the island) to the reception dance party, all were perfectly executed. Emily and her staff went above and beyond to accommodate our needs throughout the whole process--from music, to cake, to lighting--all done, stress free. All of the vendor recommendations were excellent as well. Thank you so much for what was surely the best weekend of our lives! People are still talking about what fun the weekend was. We can't wait to come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Georgia85819
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Although I had been to Bermuda on my honeymoon and often in the seventies, staying on Hamilton Sound. This was my first time on the South Shore. I traveled with my two adult daughters,one son in law, three grandchildren (23, 21, and 13). I chose the Reefs for its location and reviews. We had the most wonderful time. We ate at Roystons and Coconuts every night. The food was delicious. It was very hot so most of us stayed in the ocean or pool. I don't think there is another Hotel in Bermuda offering the services and smiles. Everything about the Reefs was topnotch. Thanks to Mervyn and Winfield I was able to get up and down the hill with ease. We will definitely be coming back. We are all sad the week had to end.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank TISH604
Barrington, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We just spent a week in a Cliffside room at The Reefs. The room was supposed to have been newly renovated. Apparently only the bathroom was renovated, but very small and had shotty workmanship. The room was very small and OLD. Old furnishings, noisy old 'in-wall' air conditioner. Curtains were messy looking and the outside deck area was very small, extremely loud and hot from the A/C unit, and dirty. The beach area was kept up well, but the faded umbrellas just added to the old appearance of the resort.

Food at the Coconuts Restaurant was very expensive and disappointing. Breakfast every morning was good, however. They also need to employ a concierge or front desk person that has more knowledge about the island. They couldn't tell me where to hike, or where to rent or charter a boat. The bell staff, however, was very friendly and helpful. We had a great week on this beautiful island, but would not return to The Reefs.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,372 reviews

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!