“Wonderful stay”
Review of The Reefs

The Reefs
Reviewed June 24, 2013

A resident of Bermuda, I had stayed locally only twice ever before. My husband surprised me for our wedding anniversery - and what a wonderful stay we had! From sofisicated comfort, extremely friendly and helpful staff who were intuitive to our own needs, and a gorgeous, picturesque and romantic setting.
We dined on the beach, literally on the sand with the sea just 2 feet in front of us. An excellent meal. Yet breakfast the next morning was also the tops! Everything just perfect!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kim h

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Reefs. You will find many reviews that mentioned they had a room that had not been remolded or the bath room was to small. And yes I had one of these rooms and a first glance you might think why spend the money on a hotel that does not have great rooms or room service? Well for me its all about the view. I could have stayed at any hotel in Bermuda but known of them have the location this hotel has. If your looking for a romantic spot on the beach with great food this is your hotel. If you prefer a hotel to take the kids and has a camp for them to play than this might not be the hotel for you.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Darryl S
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Reefs for the first time in mid-August last summer for our honeymoon. My husband and I had never traveled before, and were very nervous and picky in choosing our honeymoon location. Following the wedding we were really stressed out- and the stress followed us up until we left the Bermuda airport.

Once leaving the airport, we met a cab driver that the hotel had sent over to the airport for us. We had a pleasant drive to the resort and the driver was very friendly and easy to talk to (like most Bermudians). When we arrived at the hotel and checked in, all of our stress melted right away. We were greeted with drinks, offered dinner reservations for later in the evening (we were on the plan that included dinner), and our luggage was taken to our room for us. We went straight to tea time (which had tasty sandwiches that my hungry husband enjoyed).

The bed was two twin beds that were pushed together to make a king bed, but we were comfortable and really didn't notice. The room was attended to every morning (after we went to breakfast) and evening (when we went to dinner). It had double glass doors with a view of the ocean and which opened to a nice balcony with two loungers and a small table. There was a flat-screen tv in the room. My husband found it silly, but I enjoyed that the staff left the tv on an aquarium channel with relaxing tropical music for us to find when we returned (after the room had been made up). There was a small refrigerator in the room that we used for drinks. The room was nice, and very comfortable, and had an amazing view of the ocean.

We loved getting up every morning for breakfast. We found the food to be very good. (I had bacon, sausage eggs, breakfast potatoes, fruit and juice every morning. My husband tried the omelet station and would get other things like pancakes, bagels, waffles, and fish.) We sat outside for breakfast every day and enjoyed the relaxing sound of the waves, the amazingly lovely weather, cute little birds and amazing view. The staff were always very attentive.

We ventured off the property for a fishing trip and a glass-bottom boat ride, but (in retrospect) wished we had stayed at the Reefs the whole time. The bus was very easy to take and it stopped right in front of the Reefs- so we never missed our stop! We went to "The Dockyards" on two occasions, and brought back a bottle of pink Bermuda sand and a pretty hand-blown glass plate. There is a lighthouse up the road from the hotel. It was a little bit of a hike (I ended up sweating quite a bit on the way there and back), but it was a nice lighthouse and you could see the entire island from the top. On the way to the lighthouse there is a convenient little store where you can buy snacks and drinks. (It's less expensive and very convenient to buy drinks there that can be enjoyed from your room's fridge after and nice day at the beach.)

The private beach at the Reefs is lovely! There are plenty of loungers, umbrellas and small tables that are set up early on the beach every day. There is no aggressive competition for these chairs or extra charge. We didn't meet any other guests that weren't pleasant and relaxed. We never felt that we were being stared down for taking a chair, and there were always plenty available- even on amazing gorgeous days! I think that only hotel guests are permitted to use the beach and facilities, so there isn't a big crowd or shortage of space. There were two days on which a little bit of seaweed washed onto shore, but many days the beach was completely clean and we swam in clear, beautiful light-blue Caribbean waters! The beach does not extend forever- it ends with rocks/Cliffside on either side, but is still a nice, substantial size. Kayaks, snorkel equipment and life vests were offered on the beach for free as well. We took advantage of the guided snorkel session one afternoon. We also went kayaking early one morning, and it was a lovely and enjoyable experience!

The "Coconuts" restaurant is right by the beach. We really enjoyed the food there, and they serve food and drinks to people on the beach. You must walk up a set of stairs and a hill to get up to many hotel rooms, the lobby, other restaurants and pool/hot tub. We found the pool to be very comfortable, clean, an enjoyable temperature and enjoyed that it had an infinity-esque edge that overlooked the beach and ocean. (You could swim right up and relax at the edge for a nice view.) There was an ample supply of loungers at the pool, and there was a dispenser for water and a hamper full of warm towels. We found the pool and surrounding area to be clean on every occasion. We also enjoyed dipping in the hot tub right next to the pool.

We enjoyed eating at "Roystons" and "Ocean Echo" as well as "Coconuts". We thought the food was great at all the restaurants, and enjoyed the variety in style between the three. It always took at least an hour to eat dinner, but the meal was several courses and we always had a nice time and felt the service was very attentive (except for our last night, which was just "eh"- I'll explain it in depth).

On our last night we visited "Coconuts" and another event was going on near the main lobby (it might have been their "Latin Night"?). I'm not sure if Coconuts was low on staff, but the waiter that we had was a bit slow, and not very attentive. He also had a large table that he was serving near us, and they were a bit vocal about being less pleased as well. When we ordered our Crème Brulee for dessert it tasted fine, but was solidly cold- like it had just been pulled from a fridge and plopped on our table. It really wasn't necessarily a bad dinner, just not as exceptional as our other experiences. Our main dishes were still very good. We did leave a little note to let the hotel know abut our last dinner. It was also more along the lines of 2 hours long instead of 1-1.5 hours, and we had hoped to have a little more romantic time to enjoy after dinner on our last night. Knowing how wonderful and attentive most of the staff is, I bet anything that could have been done probably was.

Our stay was not inexpensive, but we would definitely recommend this wonderful hotel/resort for a honeymoon. Our experience was more perfect than we could have possibly imagined! It was a great experience to start off our marriage to have a friendly and attentive staff call you by Mr. and Mrs. (Married Name- Shoemaker) everywhere we went! All the staff and guests we encountered were very enjoyable to be around. This hotel is not a "honeymoon factory"- that is inundated with honeymoon couples everywhere. It is MUCH nicer than that. We enjoyed talking to (and being congratulated by) couples on anniversary trips and families staying at the hotel.
It's silly, but I'm not sure if my husband and I will be able to go back. Our trip was so amazingly wonderful and perfect that part of us wants to preserve that once-in-a-lifetime perfect memory forever... yet, we don't know if we're too spoiled to want to try anywhere else for an anniversary!
I guess we'll see!

Room Tip: We stayed in a poolside room before the bathrooms were renovated in January. We found the room comf...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful vacation at The Reefs in May. We stayed in a Cliffside room with a renovated bathroom and fantastic ocean views from the large balcony. This resort is absolutely stunning. The small private beach, which is surrounded by huge rocks, has soft, cool sand and clear blue water. Better yet, there are plenty of chaise lounges and umbrellas, and a friendly staff who comes by to take your drink and food orders. If you prefer so dine at a table, you can have lunch in the beautiful beachfront restaurant a few steps away.

We ended up eating most of our meals at the hotel. Ocean Echo and Coconuts both have great views and outdoor seating. We had dinner on the beach our last night, which was a great experience.

We liked the location of the resort. We walked to Hobbs lighthouse and Horseshoe Bay, and took the bus to The Dockyards, and then a ferry to Hamilton. The Island is so beautiful that we even enjoyed the taxi ride to the airport.

Service throughout the resort was excellent. The entire staff is friendly and helpful, and everything is clean and well-kept. There are a LOT of steps throughout the resort, so it wouldn't be a great choice for someone with mobility issues.

Room Tip: The Cliffside rooms are worth it for the great views. Poolside rooms don't have much privacy fr...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Spent 4 nights here in May and had a wonderful time. We had the cliff side room, which had an amazing view. Breakfast was included in our package and was well worth it since food is expensive there and it was nice to know that breakfast was always covered.

Beach was great...loved the access to the kayaks, paddle boards and snorkel equipment. Ate at Coconuts one night and had a fabulous meal with a great beach front view. Also ate at Roystons which was also very good.

Service was amazing...everyone so friendly and helpful. Special kudos to Winfield, the doorman. So friendly and a joy to see everyday!

We visited the spa one day and LOVED it. Wow...amazing!

I wouldn't say The Reefs is super kid friendly, and honestly I didn't see many kids anywhere in Bermuda. This destination is much more suited for an adults only get away.

Room Tip: Walls of rooms are a bit thin, staying on top floors might be quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wendy T
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My now fiancé took my on a surprise long weekend trip to The Reefs last year. The beach was just perfect -- we grabbed some great lounge chairs on the beach and enjoyed lounging about while drinking a bucket of beers. Perfectly relaxing. The staff on the beach was very friendly and accommodating. The water was great for snorkeling right off the beach, which I really enjoyed.

The hotel itself was lovely and comfortable -- our room had a renovated bathroom and I would recommend requesting a room with a renovated bath as I am not sure if all rooms have been renovated yet. We also had a lovely roof with a balcony overlooking the beach -- it was the perfect view and where my fiancé surprised me and asked me to marry him!

He had made reservations for dinner on the beach to celebrate our engagement -- this is where we had an issue with the service at the Reefs. We were both on cloud nine having gotten engaged only an hour before. We headed down to dinner and were told our table was almost ready on the beach. At this point, we were staring at an empty and set table on the beach. 10 minutes passed, then 20 and then 30. My fiancé kept politely checking in, explained it was a special evening for us, but was brushed off each time. Finally, we were seated -- at the empty table we saw when first arriving almost 40 minutes earlier -- and then promptly forgotten another 20 minutes by our waiter. When we finally got service, we had a lovely meal, but the almost hour wait was not what we were expecting on such a special day after we had heard that the Reefs was so focused on service.

When we got home, we did reach out to the management to share our experience and explain it was a lovely weekend for us, but that the service at the restaurants was underwhelming. They never even acknowledged our email. While The Reefs will always hold a special place in our hearts since we got engaged there, I will say that I was surprised that after raising an issue that no one ever replied when they trumpet their commitment to service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Redhead2681
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear Redhead2681,

Thank you for your review and we are of course thrilled that we were able to host such a special trip for you and your fiancée last year. I am glad to hear that overall you had a great time with us but am surprised and sorry to hear of the service issue you encountered during your beach dining experience.

Our beach dining is a very special experience that receives rave reviews from our guests so I am sorry to hear of the issues you had in terms of the initial service, although happy to hear that the rest of the evening went very well. Being that it was last year, it will be difficult to look back to investigate that night specifically, but I have passed along your feedback to our restaurant team to address. I am happy to say I have not heard of this happening before so if there were any issues last year, it seems we have corrected them!

I am also sorry if you did not receive a reply to your email notifying us of the issue. We are extremely committed to our level of service and take all guest feedback very seriously. We are committed to following up to any issues that may arise, as evident by my reply on this forum. I can only guess that perhaps the email was accidentally missed or maybe went into a spam folder, otherwise I am sure we would have reached out to you. Please feel free to contact me personally as I would be more than happy to chat.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and I am glad that overall, you and your fiancée had a great time with us. We wish you the best of luck on your upcoming wedding and hope to see you down with us on an anniversary in the near future!

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager
davidmdodwell@thereefs.bm

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just returned from a lovely vacation there. The highlights of the hotel are its amazing beachfront (lovely stretch of soft sand overlooking the most perfect water I've ever seen); its kind and thoughtful staff (one or two employees were not stellar but I'd still give an "A" grade); and its relaxing, sweet vibe all around.

The only thing I do not give high marks to is the food. This is only my opinion but Bermuda is an extremely expensive place to eat and shop, and the food I ate at the hotel was "okay" to "good" but not outstanding, I specifically ate at Coconuts--no other restaurant within the hotel.

Room Tip: I'm guessing all rooms have great views!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!