My wife and I arrived at the Reefs after 5 frantic days in New York. The idea being that we could relax and chill at the Reefs after the madness of New York. We were not wrong.
The resort is perched on and wrapped round a cliff overlooking it's very own beach.
It was amazing to open our window on the first morning to see the beach below us with gorgeous ocean views. it was lovely.
The room we stayed in was one of the refurbished rooms and was excellent. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom/toilet/shower were all modern and super clean.
The beach is one of the loveliest cleanest beaches I have visited. It never got too busy as some complain and there were always sunbeds available. The water was crystal clear and the hotel provide snorkel/mask/flippers, floats, kayak and surf board for hetel guests all free of charge. Snorkling around the beach area is excellent. At this stage would like to thank Clarkson for looking after us during our stay at the beach. A man that loves his job, for sure.
A word of warning is that Bermuda is expensive, not just the Reefs.
A glass of wine costs $10 , about £6.25, Cokes cost around $5 so it's expensive.
We found a lovely convenience store 5 minutes walk from the hotel next door the the Henry Viii pub and just stocked our room with soft drinks, water and wine. they sold a bottle of Barefoot Zinfandel for $10 which is nearly as expensive as at home. We would take a bottle of Coke or water down to the beach and avoid having to buy hotel priced drinks all the time and you had to drink constantly as it was lovely and hot. We always had plenty of time after a day in the sun to have a lovely glass of wine in the room prior to the evening meal and therefore save considerable amounts as we could hve just the one glass of wine each with the meal.
We were on a Breakfast and evening meal plan.
Breakfast was fantastic with a fantastic range available. Eating on the Terrace with the morning sun was a great way to start the day.
Evening meals were in Roystons(A steak house type), Coconuts (Beach Restaurant) and Ocean Echo (Terraced Area). We had 8 evening meals spread across the 3 restaurants and they were all lovely, well cooked, filling and beautifully tasty. Not a bad meal/course amongst them.
As with any great hotel, a huge part of the ambience and feeling of the hotel is the staff. Every member of staff who we met and spoke to during our stay were delightful, interesting and as friendly as if they had known you for years. Big Thank You's to Antonetta, Mike, Roydell, Horatio(who does occasionally smile!!), Alexandra and all the guys!!!
Travel around the island is easy, you have the choice of Bus, Taxi or Scooter. There is a Scooter shop across the road from the hotel and we spent a day travelling round the island visiting the docks and some of the beaches etc. it was great fun. The Scooter allows you total freedom. we also travelled by bus which is extremely easy and surprisingly good value. The hotel sells bus tickets/passes at reception. All buses travel too and from Hamilton the capital. So it is easy to get to everywhere on the island by bus.
In all we had a holiday of a lifetime and have found an island and hotel we would return to in an instant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Widely recognized as the best hotel in Bermuda, this award-winning and intimate hotel offers spectacular ocean views from every room. Perched along limestone cliffs overlooking its own private beach you'll enjoy legendary Bermudian hospitality and gourmet dining at three different restaurants. The Reefs is one place where you will feel perfectly at ease. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Reefs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Hotel Southampton
- Reefs Resort Southampton
- The Reefs Bermuda/Southampton Parish
- Reefs Bermuda