“Great rooms, so-so food”
Review of The Reefs

The Reefs
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Reefs Club was a really nice get away for my wife, my daughter, our babysiter and myself. The 3 bedroom unit was more then big enough and had a great view. The one thing that sets this property apart from others was the service. From check in to bar service to the wait staff everyone went above and beyond to make sure we were treated to the best service available. We travel throughout the Carribean and I do not recall a single place where everyone (not just those who will be tipped) was so concerned with our happiness and satisfaction.
The beach was rather small but picture perfect. The lack of waves made it ideal for our 8 year old to spend hours playing in the surf. The private club pool with the infinity edge made for some great pictures and it was great that it was so uncroweded. We were able to spend hours sitting on the deck overlooking the pink sand beaches and incredible water.
Our main complaint was that the food was average at best. There was a very limited variety, especially of fresh seafood, and the quality was not near the price. I have heard that the food in Bermuda on the whole is not great and I would have to agree. It was a shame that such a nice place was not able to deliver (except for the breakfast omelets) on a food level.
I am sure that we will go back but will not take the food option and see if we will be able to find bettr food away from the resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KenLCt

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The are not enough superlatives in our language to praise this hotel with. The staff, the management, the location, the hotel buildings, the food-all of it..perfect! And It has been consistently as good as this for decades!

Room Tip: ASk for "cliffside".
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have visited Bermuda about 14 times but never stayed here- we probably missed out! Booked a last minute trip in a cliffside room- the view was beautiful but we wished we had the sliding doors in the bedroom area instead of the window. The bellman told us our room was larger than normal because of the extra suite space but the view was better from the couch than the bed- minor observation. Our room had a new bathroom- a large shower with twin sinks and plenty of storage and outlets. We had excellent service by housekeeping-our room was always clean by 2:30 every afternoon and we had turndown service every evening. The l'occitane products were wonderful as well as the fluffy towels, coffee maker and small fridge.

The rooms are scattered down a hillside and there are numerous stairs down to the Coconuts restaurant and beach, as well as up to the pool and other restaurants. The infinity pool is small but with a very pretty view- there is also a hot tub. Unfortunately, it was taken over by a group who made it their own several days in a row. Which brings me to a negative- the hotel hosts many weddings which close Coconuts or Ocean Echo and hotel guests on a meal plan are left with Roystons.

Overall the food was very good.... Breakfast in Ocean Echo was a buffet with numerous choices. On Sunday we were offered a menu and could either choose the buffet or order from the menu. The rest of the week it was buffet only which was annoying- when I am on vacation my preference is to be served. The dining room was not crowded but there was still a wait to order an omelette and the toaster was Soooo slow- I think it is time for an upgraded appliance, I cannot imagine the wait in "high" season.

We had a meal plan that was worthwhile BUT we did not know that the restaurants rotate their evenings off and that on-site weddings would result in closing either Coconuts or Ocean Echo on Friday and/ or Saturday evenings when they were on the schedule to be open. We dined once at Roystons and were not impressed-a small room with no view and plastic placemats created very little ambience. The only dinner menu that changed nightly was Ocean Echo- I believe that the other restaurants should also change their menus, or at least have some specials- a meal plan could get tiresome after a week. A dine around plan is offered but the round trip taxi fare to Pompano or Cambridge Beaches would be steep. Perhaps the hotel could provide a shuttle service between properties ?

A highlight of our stay was booking a dinner on the beach at Coconuts. The table was set between tiki torches only a few feet from the surf line and the service was very attentive. We repeated a dinner selection from a previous evening but the food tasted better- could have been the romantic setting but I think the chef paid extra attention to our meals.

We enjoyed cocktails on the beach and the bar in the evening and the service was wonderful.

Everyone at this hotel aims to please but I cannot give it a five star rating because it still needs improvement. The rooms could offer better furnishings, (thank goodness the baths are almost all remodeled) the dining could be upgraded in menu choices and breakfast more than a buffet. The closing of dining rooms to accommodate weddings or parties is an inconvenience to other guests. Large groups also cause "clustering" where guests take over the pool or sections of the beach- very annoying. On our last morning we took an early walk on the beach and someone had already saved about 18 lounge chairs and several short beach chairs in one area- I pity anyone who was seeking a peaceful day on that beach. That evenings' wedding guests were already making the beach their own.

Small points perhaps but a five star rating should mean that all the elements work- this resort is almost there but could improve itself.

'
L
Lllllll

Room Tip: A remodeled cliffside room with sliding doors off the bedroom area. Do not accept a room under the b...
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our anniversity at The Reefs in September 2012. We had beautiful views and gorgeous sunsets from our cliffside room. The bathroom was renovated in excellent taste with modern fixtures. We also had wonderful service from the hotel/restaurant/beach staff. We ate all but one of our meals at the hotel during our three-day stay, and the service was great. We would definitely like to return to The Reefs!

1  Thank travelwithteensNJ
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Everything about this Resort was amazing. My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary there and we could not have been happier. We stayed in the Jr Suites (351) and our room had been remodeled 3 years ago. We had a stunning view and the room was spacious and clean. Overall a 10.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at The Reefs Club in a two bedroom condo during August 2012. The accommodation was amazing....spacious, modern and luxurious, with a hot tub on the balcony, and a glorious view over the hotel's private beach. We had a full kitchen but hardly used it as we took the meal plan which comprised full buffet breakfast, afternoon tea and snacks, and dinner in a choice of three on site restaurants and two other hotels on a dine around arrangement. The food was lovely, we never had a bad meal.

My only reservation about The Reefs is the number of steps you have to negotiate on a daily basis. The private beach is at the bottom of the cliff reached by o long flight of steps which are hard work on a hot day, but the trip down is definitely worth it! Within the hotel itself there was no way of getting from our room to the restaurants without going up and down staircases. Although there is an elevator it only goes to the pool. It is therefore not particularly suitable for the elderly or disabled, though the staff are very helpful in transporting guests using a golf buggie or wheel chairs where possible.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend The Reefs for middle aged / older couples in good health.

Room Tip: Choose a condo rather than a regular hotel room for impressive modern luxury.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Leeds_UKTara
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I were recent guests at The Reefs September 17, 2012- September 24, 2012. This was our first trip to your property let alone Bermuda as we were celebrating our Honeymoon. I was in the hospitality industry as a General Manager for 7+ years . I share this information with you due to the fact that I always overanalyze hotel stays from the first impressions, food and beverage, housekeeping, to the overall customer experience. I must tell you that my husband and I were absolutely blown away by the outstanding hospitality that was shown to us on our stay.

The property itself was beautiful but as are many other properties in Bermuda but what makes the Reef World Class is the talent that surrounds you. I want to take a moment and share an experience with you. After an afternoon at the beach my husband and I decided to head back to the room. As we walked by the beach hut where Erin and Clarkston worked we noticed an appetizing roast beef sandwich. I asked Erin if we can order one and take it back to the room. Without hesitation he said sure. I advised Erin that we would be at the hammock and would come back down to get it. Erin told us it would be ready in 15 minutes. As my husband and I are relaxing on the hammock we see Erin running over to us with our meal selection. Erin intentionally told us 15 minutes anticipating that it would be done sooner and he would hand deliver it to us. I thanked Erin for bringing it to us and his response was "customer service is what I am all about." Erin is a true asset to your resort and please pass along my upmost appreciation for his services that made our stay so memorable.

IEveryone was amazing at the hotel. The level of service exceeded my expectations! Clarkston at the Beach, Fronte in the Concunut Bar, Winfield at the bell stand, and the food was to die for! All of the team members truly made our stay remarkable and will have us returning to this property in the near future.

2  Thank Amy M
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!