“Wonderfully restful!”

The Reefs
Leeds, UK
“Wonderfully restful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at The Reefs Club in a two bedroom condo during August 2012. The accommodation was amazing....spacious, modern and luxurious, with a hot tub on the balcony, and a glorious view over the hotel's private beach. We had a full kitchen but hardly used it as we took the meal plan which comprised full buffet breakfast, afternoon tea and snacks, and dinner in a choice of three on site restaurants and two other hotels on a dine around arrangement. The food was lovely, we never had a bad meal.

My only reservation about The Reefs is the number of steps you have to negotiate on a daily basis. The private beach is at the bottom of the cliff reached by o long flight of steps which are hard work on a hot day, but the trip down is definitely worth it! Within the hotel itself there was no way of getting from our room to the restaurants without going up and down staircases. Although there is an elevator it only goes to the pool. It is therefore not particularly suitable for the elderly or disabled, though the staff are very helpful in transporting guests using a golf buggie or wheel chairs where possible.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend The Reefs for middle aged / older couples in good health.

Room Tip: Choose a condo rather than a regular hotel room for impressive modern luxury.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leeds_UKTara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Naugatuck, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband and I were recent guests at The Reefs September 17, 2012- September 24, 2012. This was our first trip to your property let alone Bermuda as we were celebrating our Honeymoon. I was in the hospitality industry as a General Manager for 7+ years . I share this information with you due to the fact that I always overanalyze hotel stays from the first impressions, food and beverage, housekeeping, to the overall customer experience. I must tell you that my husband and I were absolutely blown away by the outstanding hospitality that was shown to us on our stay.

The property itself was beautiful but as are many other properties in Bermuda but what makes the Reef World Class is the talent that surrounds you. I want to take a moment and share an experience with you. After an afternoon at the beach my husband and I decided to head back to the room. As we walked by the beach hut where Erin and Clarkston worked we noticed an appetizing roast beef sandwich. I asked Erin if we can order one and take it back to the room. Without hesitation he said sure. I advised Erin that we would be at the hammock and would come back down to get it. Erin told us it would be ready in 15 minutes. As my husband and I are relaxing on the hammock we see Erin running over to us with our meal selection. Erin intentionally told us 15 minutes anticipating that it would be done sooner and he would hand deliver it to us. I thanked Erin for bringing it to us and his response was "customer service is what I am all about." Erin is a true asset to your resort and please pass along my upmost appreciation for his services that made our stay so memorable.

IEveryone was amazing at the hotel. The level of service exceeded my expectations! Clarkston at the Beach, Fronte in the Concunut Bar, Winfield at the bell stand, and the food was to die for! All of the team members truly made our stay remarkable and will have us returning to this property in the near future.

2 Thank Amy M
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel is listed as the number one resort in the Caribbean by Travel and Leisure. I doubt ANYONE from that magazine could have been there. We've been to many resorts and this one doesn't,come close. The staff is friendly and helpful enough, but the room they put us in for $700/ night wasn't even up to Holiday Inn standards.The window AC, sliding door and TV didn't work. The bathroom looked like something from the 1970,s and there were ants everywhere ( including the bed). They eventually moved us to a small suite ( for an extra $150/night). The beach is extremely small and very crowded, the pool is at the top of the resort (6 flights up) and on the other side of the hotel. It has exactly 20 chaise lounges, not enough when the beach is closed because of high waves. The food is ok, but there is no where to buy snacks.We felt very duped by the promotion of this place and moved after 3 nights. If a return trip to Bermuda was based on the Reefs we would not go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, not cliffside
4 Thank Donna B
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Donna B,

I am very sorry to hear about your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on providing a great experience and value for a Bermuda vacation. I will investigate the maintenance issues in your room. It is surprising as our rooms are thoroughly inspected before each arrival.

In addition, we are in the process of renovating all of our Poolside and Cliffside bathrooms. The majority of Cliffside rooms were completed last winter and the remaining ones will be finished this upcoming winter.

Unfortunately we don’t have control over Mother Nature. The recent storm resulted in some high surf and loss of sand, limiting access to the beach for that day or two. As a result, the pool was a little busier than normal but we did add some extra chairs to try to help accommodate more guests. However, since then, the beach has been completely open with plenty of space and available chairs for all of our guests to enjoy.

Once again, I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and we hope to have the opportunity in the future to welcome you back to The Reefs.

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Was just there for 20yr anniversary. stayed 3 nights at $700/night. The good: they kept the restaurant (Roystons) open a few minutes late for us b/c we arrived late. Room was recently renovated which was nice. The not so good: our room (cliffside room) was directly under Ocean Echo bar area. Friday night, the DJ played until 11pm. The music beat was really annoying and could clearly be heard through the floor. They ran out of Corona Light at the beach on Saturday and didn't replenish when we went back on Sunday. Overall, nice place but expensive. If you're used to 5-star 1st class service, you'll be disappointed but they make an effort and do the best they can it seems.

canton, ga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews. I thought it would be perfect for our 20th wedding anniversary. I tried to call twice in advance to speak to a concierge about scheduling something special upon our arrival... No answer. I turned to email. The first email I found was "general questions". They directed me (4days later) to the food and beverage manager and told me to wait until a week before my visit to try and schedule anything. I sent an email one week before our visit. I never recieved a response. I assumed based on my previous experience with the general email response that everything was "island time". When we arrived there was no wine and cheese in our room. When I spoke to the front desk they "comp'd" the surprise, but it was too late. When our dinner on the beach was cancelled due a tropical storm (waves were high, but it was sunny and 85 defrees, I asked for other options for our "anniversary dinner", her suggestion was reservations for their main restaurant. I expected something outside the box, like, dinner on our veranda, or dinner on the deck.

In summary, as long as you are expecting basic services, it was a great place to stay. The restaurant staff, cleaning services, beach service, were all very nice. Not sure if they are $700 per night nice though.

2 Thank haigs1
Dear haigs1,

Thank you for your recent reveiw and stay with us. I am happy to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay with us but sorry to hear about the communication issues you encountered. It is definitely not a normal occurrence with us, as we pride ourselves on providing a high level service to our guests, especially in setting up special arrangements. I have passed along your feedback to our food and beverage department to investigate and to ensure that our normal standards of service are being followed.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you back at The Reefs in the future.

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

We found The Reefs a decade ago through a tiny ad in the NY Times. We have re-visited twice since and surely will return again. Through this period, the resort has upgraded the room decor, but the service remains classic, the food excellent - beautiful breakfasts, tasty lunches and gourmet dinners - and the views just incomparable. Have been to many resorts in Mexico, the Carribean, and FL - The Reefs, along with The Betsy in South Beach, are my top choices for getting away and feeling totally renewed at the other end.

Room Tip: Ask for a view.
1 Thank VacationNut555
Caldwell, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our 6th visit to The Reefs. Our recent experience was consistent with our first 5 - Great and attentive service, a spectacular setting and marvelous amenities. We stayed in a cliffside room that was recently updated. The new bathroom was beautiful and larger and brighter than the older baths. The good news is all of the rooms should be updated this winter. The furniture in the room and on the spectacular balcony is new and very comfortable. The property as always is very well maintained making our visit even more enjoyable.
The food at all of the restaurants is very good....Our favorites were Ocean Echo and Coconuts. A minor issue is that we would heave enjoyed more seafood options especially local fish such as wahoo. Royston's could use a facelift it seems like it hasn't been updated (other than an open kitchen) in the last 10 years. In addition the menu is more like a steakhouse with entrees that are red meat centric and sides that are too large even for two diners.Having said that the quality of the food is very good.
Service in every aspect is extremely professional and friendly. The people who work at The Reefs make you feel special. Our only complaint was that at one dinner service the wait staff seemed overwhelemed (2 people for the entire dining room). It took almost 15 minutes after ordering to have our bottle of wine brought to the table. Once we mentioned the delay to our server the rest of dinner went very well.
All in all the Reefs proved to us again that it is a truly special place with great people who make the experience great. We will be back again!

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views. however we are fans of the cliffside rooms. Also ask for a remodled...
2 Thank JCaulfield
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,363 reviews

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!