“Beautiful Beach and Property”
Review of The Reefs

The Reefs
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I just returned from a 5 day stay. Overall, a nice resort to which I'd likely return. I will say, however, I traveled alone as a single man so please keep that in perspective. I'd say at 35 years old that I was the youngest person there by 20-30 years. I was not looking for a wild party scene so I actually didn't mind this fact. Simply put, the crowd is older than average.

Room (C) - I booked the run of the house since I spend very little time in the room anyway. The room was adequate with a nice balcony and pool view. Otherwise, nothing spectacular. It could have used some updating and was a little dingy in some areas (light fixtures were very dirty). No internet access in the room was a bit of a pain for me, but it was available in the lounge area.

Grounds and Beach (A) - The buildings themselves are understated, in that they are not massive skyscrapers. The facade blends perfectly with a landscape where every building on the island is a pleasant paste blended perfectly with the greens and blues of the land. The beach is spectacular. Adequate in size and comparable in quality to many of the local famous beaches. The snorkeling off the beach is excellent. Some of the best I experienced on the island actually. There are three huge breakers offshore with abundant sea life. Plenty of beach chairs and umbrellas to go around if you are more the type to soak up rays and keep dry.

Pool (A-) The pool was beautiful and blends beautifully with the ocean horizon. The hot tub was nice as well, though one of the evenings I was in there it seemed a little cooler than it should have been. The area was clean and quiet, though this was the off season.

Food (B) Breakfast was dependable but not excellent. I did eat dinner on the premises one evening and it was excellent but far over priced. Coconuts provided a great lunch several times during my stay. Staff was friendly and food was fairly priced.

Overall, a nice small hotel. A few minor touch ups would have made it perfect, but its pretty close. If you are looking for massive, commercial, high-rise hotel then I would suggest the Fairmont down the street. I enjoyed the more intimate feel of the Reefs.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank SeeDiph

Reviewed November 15, 2011

We have stayed at the Reefs three times in the last three years. The hotel is located on a spectacular pink beach atop a small cliff. There are three excellent restaurants (Roystens which is a little formal, Ocean Echo which is more casual, and Coconuts by the beach which is casual. The service is impeccable. There is a pool, tennis, and full service spa on property. Rooms are immaculately clean and very comfortable. Entertainment is lively at the bar on certain nights.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DLang#1
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This was our 15th visit. Great food, service and value for the price. We came home very relaxed and refreshed, ready to start back to work. We will be again next year at this same time to worm up ourselves one more time before winter sets in.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2011

My wife and I have been to the Reefs twice, and will be heading back next year for sure. Both times we went in May. The weather was perfect, the ocean a good temperature for swimming, and the island was not crowded. The Reefs is a spectacular hotel. The accommodations are luxurious (our room overlooked the private beach - had the same room both times at our request) and the staff, from the moment of arrival to when you reluctantly depart, could not be any nicer or more helpful. The restaurants on site are all first class. For us, it is the perfect relaxing getaway, and of course, less than 2 hours away from us in NY.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LBGLongBeach_NY
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My wife and I visited at the end of October and while the weather wasn't great (rained 3 of 5 days) the Reefs was. We stayed on in the hotel side of the complex - vs. the residences which are timeshares and much newer than the hotel side. We stayed on the top floor overlooking the beach. (not the pool) Overall the room was a little small but the terrace was great! (great view and new chairs) The bed was very comfortable and you could get most NY TV stations in it.

Many other reviewers noted and I will agree that the bathrooms in this part of the hotel are totally unacceptable for a property of this rating/stature. (they are clearly original from when the hotel was built many many years ago) The counters are 2 inch square green tiles and the shower head is easily 30 or more years old. Additionally the bathrooms are quite small. (Note - it is my understanding that the hotel has heard this loud and clear and have started refurbishing all bathooms. This is what someone at the front desk told me when I checked out)

Overall the food was wonderful and so was the staff. (they immediately knew our names the day after we arrived) (Of particular note were Alan (maitre'd), Lena Mae, and Richard) We ate at all of the restaurants during our visit though not all were open every night for dinner given it was the shoulder season. The biggest surprise to me was Coconuts as I was expecting it to be a step down in food quality from Ocean's Echo but the food was great and on par with Ocean's Echo. We also ate lunch at Coconuts two days and it was very as well.

The spa was also very good and a nice facility and the treatments were good too. The beach was tended to each day (that it was not raining) by the staff who did their best to remove the seaweed but some days it was a losing battle. That said, they made sure that the guest chairs were set up with umbrellas and there was no seaweed impacting them. The staff on the beach was also friendly and did a great job. Clarkston took good care of us!

Here are a couple of tips to help you if you stay at the Reefs.

- Walk 5 min up the road to the Henry VIII convenience store to buy drinks, bottled water, snacks for your room. You will save a bunch a $ even with convenience store prices.
- Get a bus pass if you want to go around the island. It is very easy and convenient as buses run every 15 min or so. (depending on time of year etc)
- Consider a package deal from the Reefs. They usually have packages that are a much better deal than a la carte. (our included the bus pass)
- Don't dine around at the Cedar Room at Pompano Beach Club. I posted my review there but suffice to say it was a major step down from the Reefs

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a refurbished bathroom. (or stay on the residence side of the Reefs)
3  Thank wine_moose
TheReefs-Management, Manager at The Reefs, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2011

Dear wine_moose,

Thank you for your recent review on your stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that overall, you had a great stay with us during your time at The Reefs and we hope to see you back with us soon. As you highlight, the personal attention our guests receive from the staff is one of the biggest reasons people choose to return to The Reefs!

I did want to quickly address your comments in regards to the bathrooms in our Poolside and Cliffside rooms. In short, our guests have spoken and we have listened! We are very excited to announce that we will be starting renovations this winter on many of these bathrooms, giving them a great new look and appearance.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our new rooms in the near future!

David Dodwell Jr
Resort Manager

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We rented as Scooter and spent a day looking at all the resorts on this side of the Island. In the end, we chose The Reefs and we are very happy we did. The staff here is amazing, they treat you like you are family. The views are spectacular and the food is a very positive "experience". We got the meal plan and I highly recommend it. Joseph the chef cooked us some wonderful meals. We are foodies and we were "wowed"!

Our room was great, we had a great view of the beach and we were happy to relax on our veranda when we wished. Ok, we had two minor things to show that The Reefs isn't 6star. Our bathroom could use a new tub and faucets and the pool is just about due for a a re-painting. But, it was easy to ignore these as we simply had one of our best and most satisfying resort stays ever while at The Reefs. If you like great food, a great beach and great staff The Reefs is your place. We'll be back for sure.

Room Tip: If you want privacy I recommend that you do not select a room by the pool. If you have kids, I do r...
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Every year I have a Board meeting in Bermuda at one of the large hotels on the Island, and ebery year just as soon as the meetings are concluded my wife and I hop a cab to the Reefs for 5 days. This is our 5th vist to the Reefs and our memoriess were not disappointed. The small size, the quality of the accomodations, food and staff keep bringing us back. For such a small hotel to have the variey of places to eat each night is special. We always meet interesting people, and delight in reconnecting with familiatr staff. We even get to dance! Back again next year. Thanks Reef's staff for making our short stay so special.
Bob & Dot DeVore, Rye, NH USA

#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!