“Worth the Wait”

The Reefs
Bermuda
“Worth the Wait”
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Just returned from five nights at the Reefs, We had a reservation at the Southampton but when we stumbled across a 30% off sale including meals and afternoon tea, it was our time to book a room at the Reefs. We booked a cliffside room, a mid range category. We arrived with great excitememt. The weather was beautiful and the surroundings were breathtaking. We were shown our room and I tried not to be too disappointed and kept telling myself to focus on the view and relaxing. The room was small and unattractive. The room air conditoner was loud and leaked all over the balcony. Bathroom was small, outdated and steemy hot. I figured we were suck here so I better just forget about it, I booked a cliffside room and I got what I booked. I happened to mention this to the ladies at the front desk. In a nice way I told them I was disappointed in the room but it is what I booked. They suggested moving to a different category. This is an example of the wonderful customer service shown to us throughout our trip. The next morning we spoke with Sabrina in reservations and were offered a beautiful, large updated suite at a very resonable upgrade fee It even had a hot tub on the balcony. Needless to say, we were estatic. I hate to be too picky but the first room we had was really not what you would expect to find in a 5 star resort anywhere, let alone Bermuda.
The rest of our stay was wonderful. The beach was beautiful and had everything you may want, snorkels, noodles and kayaks, all complimentary. Glenn, the beach manager, made us seem like long lost friends even though it was our first visit. The restaurants were wonderful and the entertainment was perfect.
The location of the Reefs is also very good. We walked to Horsehoe Bay and marveled at the views along the way. The Dockyard was a short bus ride away. We really did not want to leave our little slice of heaven at all, so we spent most of out time enjoying the amenities at the Reefs.
We are looking forward to our next visit to Bermuda and will definitely be staying at the Reefs.

Room Tip: When booking a cliffside room ask how long ago it was updated
2 Thank SueTraveling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
jersey shore
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Arrived 9/23 with a sunny and beautiful outlook of 5 relaxing days. When shown our room (Cliffside) our disposition turned to anything but sunny and beautiful. Our room appeared to have been last upgraded during the Nixon White House years (coffee pot/hair dryer appeared to be of the 70's vintage) BUT it had a great view. Front desk understood our distress--if was oblvious we were not the first tree toads to complain about old and tired rooms--they then showed us a junior suit that was modernized but the foliage blocked any view (hint to Reef's management--trim your foliage to balcony level so EVERYONE can enjoy that breath-taking view. Staff understood our predictament and further suggested a suite would open the following day, but there would be an upgrade fee--after seeing the room it was a no brainer. THANK YOU REEF'S STAFF.

We had 5 great days--the atmosphere, the beach/water and the food were excellent and relaxing. Even with this being an up-scale resort, we found the enviironment unpretentous and very laid back. We, like so many people we met there, hope to be often be repeat guests.

Room Tip: Do your homework about room locations and when then have been remodeled.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Went to Brunch on 18 September 2011.What an experience with choice of dishes,excellent service and pleasing location.Have visited other brunch locations in the past and this was definately the best.Due to its popularity it is best to book early,we went at 12.15pm.Car parking is very limited although a priate car park is situated opposite.I will visit again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank marandellas
Norfolk
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I spent about a year on Trip adviser trawling through reviews, reviewing other web sites and phoning hotels! We picked the Reefs because of these reviews and the location (we had briefly visited the hotel for a walk around on a previous trip).

Previus to this we had stayed at Elbow Beach, Grotto Bay and various B&B's.

I think the reviews are fair and we were not dissapointed at all with anything.

We were on honeymoon at the end of August and we had a great 5 day stay at this hotel.

We were however in one of the best rooms, one of the 3 Point Suites they have which are located right at the bottom of the hill by the water.

The room we simply could not fault, it seamed brand new although some staff told us they had been re-furbed about 3 years ago. It was very spacious, an excellent bath and shower and very private balcony complete with hot tub.

The Spa was the best we have ever been to. We had Anneleise and Serena for a couples massage and they were excellent and you can see why the Spa has picked up some awards.
I would highly recommend trying it.

The beach was great, a really private spot, never crowded and they had kayaks and noodles and lemon water on tap.

As for the food it was excellent all round, a great breakfast buffett and we ate at Cocunuts a couple of times and we could not fault it at all.

The only slight let down was the front desk staff. They were very friendly and sweet but just a little 'slow' at times. We asked them to book us in at Cambridge Beaches for a meal and we got there and there was no booking. Fortunately they had space and said The Reefs always forget to give their patrons vouchers to take with them to Cambridge Beaches and regularly forget to actually make bookings!

The meal at Tamarisk at Cambridge Beaches by the way was probably the culinary high light of our trip. Great food and setting. However we were very happy to be staying at the Reefs as we preferred the location and lay out of it.

We hired scooters from just accross the road from the hotel and would recommend them. As the islanders drive on the left it makes it easy for us Brits. In fact the scooter hire here is the cheapest we experienced on the Island and the friendliest service in fact.

Not sure if we can mention in the same review that we also stayed 5 nights at the Tuckers Point Spa following our night stay at the Reefs! We never settled there, it just did not seam any where near as friendly, breakfast was a night mare, $4 for every orange juice, we could not get a seat around the pool, and there were way too many mis-behaved kids running around. We concede that we went in School holiday time (!) but it was not a honey moon hotel at all. Much more a family hotel and very expensive ( food and spa treatments double the cost!).

Finally, we met David Dodwell the owner of the Reefs and he was very friendly and keen to know we were having a great time.

Anyway, we will be back to the Reefs one day because we loved the location, the staff really are great, the food perfect and Bermuda (despite the obvious changes taking place) remains a very special Island.

Room Tip: Do your research, there is a good selection of rooms, some close to the hotel main building, some by...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David142
Monmouth County,NJ
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I write this review with mixed feelings.....
First, let me say that I have been to Bermuda many times......with The Reefs being my hotel of choice for a stressfree, relaxing vacation. For the most part The Reefs fits my desires. There have been many changes at this property over the past 30 plus years.....some are necessary to meet the needs of the modern guests. I still remember the day of no TV or wireless in the rooms, hanging around the beach bar (before Coconuts), jackets for dinner, etc. I do like the more relaxed atmosphere, could live without TV in the room. Really, no complaints about these updates.
My husband and I have been able to stay in many room catorgories, with Cliffside fitting most of our needs....the price of these rooms are mid-range for this resort, the views are about as good as it gets, the beds are comfy and the rooms are clean. The furnishings are so/so.....and the bathrooms really need updating. I believe that the building we were in during this trip was "H" and it is about the oldest that we have ever been in....the rooms were very small, but the pay off is the view. However, I would not request this room again.
There is an ant problem at the Reefs....but to be fair, it is not just at the Reefs....it is island wide and not the fault of the hotel. We had no ants in our room...

Now for the downside.....
The price is very high.....even with breakfast and dinner included (the dinner is very good).....There are other islands/vaca spots that offer beautiful this and that....ok....it is not Bermuda, but when spending hard earned dollars, in our economy, it is hard to justify $5,000 plus for a week.....but we do
(can you tell that I am torn about it?)
With the exception of the buffet breakfast....the meals are very good. I would rate all three restaurants the same....but during this trip, Coconuts was closed on one of the nights that we wanted to dine there (because of a visit by Maria) and we could not dine there as often as I would have liked.
The buffet breakfast....had all the usual breakfast fare....including eggs benedict...but the benedict was over cooked and dried out due to sitting too long in the chafing dish. You may order off the menu, but the menu was not offered...I had to ask for fresh bennies. There is an omlet station as well as fresh waffles prepared for you. All items on the buffet were restocked as needed and were never empty.
Turn down service is offered nightly....but our building was skipped for at least two nights....not the end of the world for us, but others in our building needed towels
My last note is something we notice on every trip and yet, it never seems to be addressed.....guests leaving dishes/glasses on ledges and railings outside the guest rooms....they can sit there for days.....one plastic cup had a sweet drink (you could tell the drink was a strawberry something, 1/2 full), but it spilled over, down the wall an onto the floor outside our room. It was like that for 3 days. My husband brought it to the attention of the front desk twice.....finally with the appoach of Maria, and my hubbys loud comment when the maid was working in our area...it was cleaned up.
We love the staff at this resort.....everyone is friendly and will go out of their way for you......(except for the dishes).....They are one reason that we keep coming back to the beautiful spot.
The other reason we come back.....The Reefs, really is a special hotel, the beach is about one of the best private beaches on the South Shore, the guests are all friendly and we have made many friends through the years.....We will be back.
I am giving this resort a rating of "very good" for value....keep in mind, Bermuda is a very expensive island, dining out is very (off the meal plan) would end up costing about the same as if you were to take the meal plan. There are no chain restaurants on island.

Room Tip: We love the Cliffside rooms....beautiful views, more privacy, top floors have high ceilings, but bui...
9 Thank WhiteDiamondScoot
Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Our extended family recently stayed at the Reefs Club and found it to be spectacular. Club units are very large two and three bedroom condos on the cliff. These aren't small suites but full 2,000 square foot condos. For a family that needs more than one room, they are much better than the hotel rooms at the resort. (We saw a few of the standard rooms. They vary greatly, with some having privacy and others having the hotel pool practically in their room.)

We have stayed at Cambridge and Pink Beach in the past. The Club accomodations are far superior. The resort's beach is the best I have seen on the island and never crowded. Built into a cliff, it is private to the resort with waves that are lacking at Cambridge and without the nasty coral surprises of Pink Beach.

We were on the meal plan. Breakfast buffet is very good. Dinner is just above average. It's great if you are a seafood lover. The beef options left a little to be desired. As noted in other reviews, service isn't lightning fast, but the staff is always pleasant ... which is a step up from the standard languid, indifferent service in most of Bermuda.

We were stranded for a few extra days by Hurrican Irene. The hotel offered us a "stranded travellers" rate that was a great deal. It was something they didn't have to do (we were stranded after all) and we truly appreciated it.

Lastly, the Reefs is built on and into a cliff. There is no elevator to the beach or Coconuts beachside restaurant. We didn't mind working off some calories, but people who have trouble navigating stairs might want to stay at a flatter resort.

Room Tip: The Club condos are the place to be. If you go for a standard room, ask to be as far from the pool a...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Slightlycranky
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed at The Reefs for one night at the local rate which is really a good deal for locals. Our one night stay included breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner, the service was really professional and friendly the food was delicious and plentyful couldn't ask for better service. The only downfall I found while staying at The Reefs was the room we had could use some updating and a good cleaning. I walked barefoot from the bed to the bathroom and the bottom of my feet were black, there was no curtain/shade to the bathroom window so I had to hang a towel for privacy. Also the airconditioning unit kept making a very strange noise. We would stay there again but I'll have to view the room before unpacking.

1 Thank cherriken
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!