“Wish I Was Still There”

The Reefs
New York, NY
“Wish I Was Still There”
Reviewed November 30, 2007

As I sit here at my desk answering e-mail and generally living the daily grind, my mind wanders to my wonderful trip to Bermuda, and my fantastic stay at The Reefs. I was there attending a friend's wedding, which was an intimate and polished affair. I was completely charmed by the general atmosphere and had a total blast the entire time. It's a lovely little hotel, very intimate and Bermuda-authentic. The staff is friendly and attentive. The private beach is quiet and relaxing. And dinner at Coconuts on a clear night is a real treat. It's a bit of a haul to get into some of the more touristy haunts, but the staff is ready and willing to set you up with a bus map or a taxi, and it's pretty easy after that. I suggest a taxi-- most of the drivers are good for a bit of trivia and a laugh.

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank chinook211

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Maryland
Reviewed November 29, 2007

What a great place to stay, the beach is breathtaking the rooms although a little small are very tastefully decorated besides who spends much time in the room. My husband and I loved sitting each night eating our dinner and listening to the waves crashing and the tree frogs singing. The staff is lovely and very friendly. We both cannot wait to return (we hear they have great repeaters parties).

Stayed August 2007
5 Thank Cassava6
Central City, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 22, 2007

I was married at The Reefs in late May, 2007. I would NOT recommend this as a wedding location to any bride-to-be.

This hotel is repeatedly splashed all over magazines for its magnificent service, attention to detail, and has been ranked as high as the 4th best hotel in Carribean. Having experienced it first-hand (as a VIP guest, no less) I have NO idea why? I found the hotel rooms and facilities to be below average and the staff to be nothing but utterly rude and totally un-accommodating

My (now) husband and I are very laid back people. We come from very two humble and gracious families, whose goal was to find a first-class wedding venue with first-class service for the guests who traveled great lengths to be present for our destination wedding. You will not find this at The Reefs. The hotel's "wedding planner" is entirely worthless. When it was nearly too late, I realized that I would have to be the one making every last arrangement for my ceremony, on my own, from 600 miles away, without any direction or guidance from the planner. She could barely find the time to return my very simple emails, asking for vendor recommendations (for florists, photographers, etc.) The actions and the utter disregard of the entire staff at this hotel completely ruined my wedding day. Our head waitress was too lazy to even give me a piece of my own wedding cake. Instead, she snapped at me as if I were asking for her first-born child. I could go on and on with the shocking details.

If you are considering The Reefs, please look elsewhere or risk spending what is supposed to be the happiest day of your life, in tears.

• Liked — Location & Views
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
23 Thank Megan A
Reefs, Managing Director at The Reefs, responded to this review, November 7, 2007
The Reefs has earned an enviable reputation among guests and the media because we strive and almost always succeed in making our guests feel perfectly at ease. Weddings are certainly important events in the lives of every bride and groom. In recognition of this fact several years ago The Reefs restricted the number of weddings to no more than 4 per week and never more than one on the same day. We want to ensure each wedding is special and that the bride and groom have the hotel all to themselves and aren’t competing with any other wedding. We want to make every wedding personal and perfect.

Obviously we missed the mark on this wedding and are extremely dismayed by the experience this bride had at The Reefs. There were indeed issues and problems encountered before and after the wedding. We reached out to this bride to express our heartfelt concern and included a partial refund but, until this posting we had not heard back. We will continue to try.
Toronto
Reviewed October 2, 2007

We just spent a beautiful week at The Reefs. There seemed to be some negative comments on the trip advisor lately and we were aware there had been some construction. However our group of 6 (three couples - one of the guy's 50th birthday trip) had decided we were going to have a great vacation.
Well there was no need for any concern. The Reefs is everything we had hoped for and more. The beach is perfect, staff very friendly and efficient, food was excellent, rooms were good......it was all good!
We enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere - I hate that "get your towel on a beach chair by 6am or you can forget it" that we have encountered at resorts (Mexico) and cruises....we could have breakfast, take a nice walk, then wander to the beach at 11ish and there were always chairs and umbrellas available.
After dinner, we could use the hot tub or the pool - I'm not sure where everyone goes - but I really felt like we could use any of the facilities whenever we wanted to - we never had a problem waiting for anything - even the computer was available when we wanted to email home and see how things were going!
I had read about slow restaurant service - I think The Reefs must haven taken note because we never had a problem with slow service! And the food is SO good - we especially enjoyed the lobster dinner on Saturday night.
The staff was great - everyone was so kind and friendly. We felt at home by the second morning when Carol Anne wanted to know if we'd sent the men golfing again!
Without a doubt we'll be returning to The Reefs. Our first trip to Bermuda was a huge success - can't wait to return!

• Liked — beautiful beach and great food.
  • Disliked — rooms are basic.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank Veronica4
Monmouth County,NJ
Reviewed September 25, 2007

I have been a 17 time repeater at the Reefs over 30 years. It is still one of the nicest and best vacation spots on Bermuda. The hotel/property is not glamorous/glitzy or "over the top". It is a lovely, small, itimate, well manacured hotel set upon cliffs overlooking beautiful blue/green water of the Atlantic ocean. You have you choice of dining at any of the 3 on-site restaurants which are all superb. Coconuts on the beach level offers lunch/dinner and is without a doubt very romantic with great selections for dinner. There is also a bar there and dining on the beach (sand) if you want it. Rezzie must be made for this and there is an surcharge for the beach dining. Ocean Echo which is located on the Terrace is where a full breakfast is served along with dinner. The menu for dinner there has changed several times over the years and is now more of a steak house. Grill 56 is located in the Main clubhouse along with the bar/lounge. Food at all 3 venues is very good. Coconuts has always been a favourite, especially for its location. Although this trip, we enjoyed Ocean Echo and Grill 56 maybe alittle more.
The pool is on the small size but it is a perfect spot to cool off in the afternoon with a drink in hand overlooking the Atlantic ocean. It has an infinity edge and is on a high cliff with a view that is unbelievable. A hot tub is attached to the pool. Drinks are offered at the pool from 4PM till 6PM. Tea service is in the loung/clubhouse from 4-5 with offering of small sandwiches, and pastries.
The rooms are fine and comfortable. The beds/pillows are comfy and furnishings are adequate. They have been redone in the last year (furnishings) I think they are alittle on the dark side and I miss the Bermuda art work on the walls. The bathrooms are clean but alittle on the tired side. We did have a wet bar which was great for snacking and making drinks in the room. Seperate dressing area with vanity and a make-up mirror which was nice. Every room no matter what the location or category has a beautiful view. We were in a premier room located along the cliff.

Continental breakfast is offered from 7 till 11 for those who do not want a full breakfast. The local paper (Royal Gazette) and NY Times Fax is available to read. There was never enough Gazettes for everyone and were gone by about 8:30 am. A house computer is available in the tv room, located in the clubhouse for guests who must keep in touch, books, movies and games are also available.

A concierge desk is located in the lobby and this service is new. It seems to take pressure off the front desk which is busy with check-ins/out, etc.

Bus service is located at the end of the driveway and most guests find this an easy way to get around. We rent scooters. The rental office for these are across the street from the Reefs. They are not for everyone but it does allow more freedom. For anyone considering these, just remember to stay left.

There have been many changes here over the years. One of them is the addition of TV in the rooms. I am not a fan of this, but it is there. Another is the menu in the dining room which always changed nightly. I am not sure if it changes with the season but they do offer specials for each evening. There is also a tent on the beach for guests that want a massage. I think it would be better located on Caso Point. But this is just MO.

We did have a few glitches, my hubbys' dinner was forgotten one night,(it was delivered as everyone was finished) free drinks were offered and apologies the very next morning, the room was made up rather late for 2 days and getting drinks was very slow alot of the time.

The Reefs is a very special place and I hope it continues to be. I cannot say enough good things about the staff. Everyone is there to make you "feel perfectly at ease". They do that very well here. A point is made to know your name when you arrive. We already reserved next year upon check-out as most guests do this when they leave. Something great to look forward to!

• Liked — everything, that is why we return so often
  • Disliked — if you have a leg/foot/back problem this is not an easy place to get around. Especially from the Terrace level down to the pool and back up. Many stairs and all uphill from the beach.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank WhiteDiamondScoot
MA
Reviewed September 10, 2007

If you do not like it here...you cannot be satisfied. If you are looking for a new fancy hotel with a big lobby that nickel and dimes you and the staff wishes you were some where else....don't stay here!!!.. True the Reefs is not brand new and it shows in some areas, but this is by far a great resort hotel. The rooms have neen updated and the beds are very comfy. The views....second to none. The beach is fantastic. And activities on the beach are included. Snorkeling gear, kyaks, chairs and unbrellas all included. We were on MAP plan and ate all our meals at the hotel. Food is fantastic. Service is not at the speed we are used to stateside, but nobody is in hurry on Bermuda. And that is the whole point. This is a place to relax and slow down. Concierge will set up whatever you need. Diving, Horseback ridring. We rode the beach at Spicelands on horseback...awesome!. We just got home yesterday and can't wait to go back. My only word of advise to not book a room directly over the pool. Not much privacy. But, the rooms south of the pool are very private and all have great decks with awesome views. There is a reason this place has been in business for 60 years and has a high rate of return customers. We can certainly be added to list of people who will be back!!

• Liked — The Location and Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abelgolf
monmouth, nj
Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 5 night stay at the Reefs Resort. This was the first trip we took without our daughter and we picked the perfect place. There was a nice mix of couples young and old and some families as well - a perfect blend of vacationers. The staff were all very professional and accomodating - from the front office, bellhop, beach, restaurant and housekeeping staffs. The grounds and rooms were very clean and the staff referred to you as a name, not a room number - a real nice bonus that I appreciated. The #7 bus stopped right in front of the hotel and we used it to get to the Dockyard and Hamilton-very convenient. The infinity pool was beautiful but a bit small to really swim in - more for cooling off and enjoying the view. We were able to snorkel right from the beach and used the hotels complimentary equipment. You can also use complimentary kyacks that the hotel provides but we never did. Because the hotel is built into a cliff you have remarkable views. However, there are a lot of steps to the the beach and Coconuts-defn. not the place for someone with bad knees or hips but perfect if you want to work off your dinner at Coconuts! We ate onsite all but one night and have very good meals. We ate at Pompano one night and felt that The Reefs was a bit superior. The only reason I didn't give my review an 'excellent' is because I thought the bathroom in the room was a bit outdated and at times the restaurant service was a bit slow. But certainly nothing that would force me to complain to management about. Furthermore, if anyone is worried about the construction noise there was none. They are currently excavating in order to addon to the property but construction has not begun yet. I was informed by management prior to my arrival that they will be posting information on their website when construction begins.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Pompano Beach Club
Pompano Beach Club
#1 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,371 reviews

Been to The Reefs? Share your experiences!