“Best hotel in Bermuda!!!”
Review of Pompano Beach Club

Pompano Beach Club
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best hotel in Bermuda!!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2005

I feel compelled to comment on the July 9th "review" from the person in Cambridge MA who complained about their one dinner at the Pompano Beach Club. I am puzzled about why someone who did not even stay at Pompano would bother to write in to criticize the food there! Please do not judge dinners at the Pompano Beach Club based upon this one complaint!

My husband and I have stayed at Pompano year after year with friends and one of the many reasons we keep going back is the consistently excellent food!! We have never had a disappointing meal at this resort!! Over the years many fellow guests have told us that they prefer Pompano's food to the Reefs'.

Pompano is a gem!! Please read all of the endorsements from people who have actually stayed at this hotel! The location is the best in Bermuda! Larry Lamb and his staff make you feel like family! The food is great! We would never stay anywhere else in Bermuda!!

• Stayed September 2004
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
nh
Reviewed July 10, 2005

We just returned from the Pompano, and feel we made a great choice regarding where to stay! Having previously stayed at high-rated, large hotels, we enjoyed the smaller, personal feel of the Pompano. Positives: The staff was wonderful, attentive and helpful. They were always available when needed, but not in an overbearing way. (This can be a difficult balance) The owners were very visible, and truly appeared to love having daily contact with their guests. Another great plus; although the resort was "full" it never felt that way. There were always chairs, floats and umbrellas available at the beach and pool, and lots of nice little sitting areas around the resort, (inside and out) where you could read or have a drink with some level of privacy. Our room, as well as the rest of the resort, was very, very clean. Again, I can't say enough about the staff; they were so friendly and helpful, and really made you feel welcome. The health club/fitness room was well equipped for a smaller resort, and even had an outstanding ocean view!

Just for information, what some may consider downsides: The beach, although beautiful, is very small. It extends with a huge sandbar, so you can walk or float forever. I actually liked this; while my husband found the lack of waves etc. kind of boring. It's all in what you prefer in a beach. On the positive side, you can take a taxi ($15) or a bus to Horshoe Beach in about 10 minutes. This beach is absolutely unbelievable, not too crowded, and has full ammenities (bathhouse, showers, chairs umbrellas, food)

I found the food at Pompano to be very good. I don't think it's reasonable for people to expect food at a resort to be at the level you would get at a 5 star restaurant. For a resort, the food was excellent. There was lots of variety, and the service was friendly and relaxed. (Some might call it a bit slow, but who's in a hurry on vacation?) We ate one night at the Reefs, and found the food and service comparable to Pompano.

A suggestion, if you travel to Pompano. You must go on the Snorkeling trip on the Catamaran. It's worth every bit of the $70. The captain, Chris, is incredibly knowledgeable and makes the 4 hour trip amazing. The crew was unbelieveble, not to mention wonderful service, food and drinks.

In closing, I would definitely stay at the Pompano in the future, and would recommend it to others. It was one of the most relaxing vacations my husband and I have ever taken, and the atmosphmere of this resort really added to our experience.

Stayed July 2005
13 Thank Sarahjb001
North Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2005

We stayed at the Pompano Beach Resort in June, and had the easiest most relaxing vacation ever. The resort is small and cozy, not "big and fancy". You have the ammenites and service of a large resort with the intimacy of a small inn. As in every previous review of Pompano, the personal service is what makes this resort...along with the fantastic views from every direction. Everyone on staff is there to make sure your stay is exactly as you wish, and it doesn't come off as people providing a service, it is like a friend helping you out. Within a couple of days, you feel as you have known the staff forever.
Pompano is somewhat isolated, down a winding road, but that is part of it's appeal. You never work about traffic noise, or all the hustle and bustle of being on a main road. Getting to and from the bus and ferry stops only takes a phone call, and they provide a shuttle, quickly and efficiently. During our stay we only took a cab, twice when we participated in the dine around program. The public transportation system was easy to use, and fairly inexpensive. The front desk staff, is also willing to help you plan your route. We also decided to rent a scooter for a few days of our trip. It was a bit nerve wracking for the first 20 minutes, but then it turned out to be one of our highlights. We drove around the island, and saw what we wanted to see at our own pace. Just stay left, follow the rules, and you'll be fine.
The beach at Pompano was small, but never too crowded. We always had a chair and a raft to use. The water is beautiful, and being able to go out for hundreds of yards and still stand up, was great.
We participated in the MAP/Dine around program. The food at Pompano was wonderful. The menu changed every night, so you were never bored. One night we exchanged and had a lovely meal at Cambridge. It was a more formal attmosphere, but we recommend it, for a change of pace. However don't miss the Barbeque on Monday evening at Pompano. The dessert table is reason enough to go. A money saving tip that worked for us, was we would eat a late full breakfast at Pompano, and have snack such as ice cream while out later in the day, then ate dinner at a reasonable time. Between the large breakfasts, and five course dinners we never even missed lunch.
In summary, Pomapno is the perfect place for a casual, relaxed vacation, in location where everywhere you turn looks like a postcard. In my opinion you can't ask for more than that.

16 Thank sala
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2005

We stayed at the Reefs but had dinner at Pompano one night and the food there is really not that great. Especially compared with The Reefs and Cambridge Beaches or the Fairmont SOuthhampton, the food at Pompano is just not in the same league. And from what I heard at the Reefs, it is hard to get into any of the other dine around restaurants from Pompano because no one wants to go there from the Reefs or CB.

Stayed June 2005
8 Thank LALitLover
Reviewed July 8, 2005

If you are going to Bermuda Pompano Beach Club is a great place to stay. The resort is family run and they treat you like family. The staff is extremely accomodating, the sunsets are breath taking, the food is very good and you are within walking distance to a great golf course or if you wish the management will drop you off at no charge. My wife and I have been their twice in five years and have had a great time both times we have visited the resort. The grounds are impecable, the pool overlooks the ocean as well as many seats in the dining area. We can't wait to go back again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2005

The Pompano Beach Club is THE place to stay. We've travelled all over the world and recently received the best service ever. Highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
new york, ny
Reviewed July 3, 2005

Just got back from a 4 day stay at the Pampano, and we had a great time. (early 30's couple from new york that like relaxing at the beach) As a family run resort, everyone there is very friendly and always willing to help out. That genuine committment to service really made us feel welcome, and as if they would do all they could to make sure we would come back.

The beach there is very small, but beautiful, crystal clear water, and on low tides you can walk a few hundred yards out. There were plenty of loungers and umbrellas, as well as a drink shack right on the beach, always a plus. The pool was ok. It had a dated look to it, but it was fine and they keep it open 24 hours. Nice and romantic if you and someone special want to take a late night dip under the stars. They have kayaks and little paddle boats and stuff you can rent to have some fun in the ocean.

The people that stayed there were mostly couples, ranging from mid 20's to 50-60's, about 25% of the guests were families, there were more little kids there than we would have liked. The kids werent too bad, just a little noisy at the pool. But pretty much everyone we wet was very nice and having a great time.

We ate breakfast there everyday, the food was fine. You can sit outside and look over the water if you like. We sat inside after our first day because there are a lot of birds on the property. Lunch is available all afternoon out by the pool, very convienient. We had dinner at Pampano twice, and the food was very good, they make a good effort to change the menu everyday to offer some variety. I would reccommend using the meal plan there, because a cab anywhere else is going to add another 30-75$ round trip to your meal, (but it is Bermuda) and as I mentioned the dinner was very good.... The bar stays open at the hotel till midnight, and you can sit outside and watch the sunset right there over the water. There is usually live music in the evening, I think it was 6 days a week.

The rooms were nice, we were in a deluxe room, nice terrace (heads up tho, there is some bird poop problems), facing the ocean. Air conditioning and fans keep the room nice and cool. bathrooms in the deluxe were huge and nice. My only complaint about the rooms were the king beds. Too soft, and worse the sheets were not fitted, just palced on the bed and folded under the matress, so someone like myself (6'1", 230 lbs) will take the sheets with you everytime you turn at night and end up sleeping on a bare matress. This really bothered me. Good sleep is a huge part of the vacation to me.

Pampano is about 45 minutes and $50 from the airport. Town I think was about 1/2 hour and 25-30$ away. There are other great beaches like horseshoe bay that are very close to the property. If you want to go into town a lot maybe this is not the best place to stay. If you can be comfortable with a nice small beautiful beach and a few excellent ones close by for variety, I would then reccomend the Pampano. Also there were some other good resturaunts that were like 10, 15 mins away. If you are a golfer, Port Royal, one of the best public courses is right next door.
I would reccomend this hotel to couples like myself looking to get away for a few days and relax. If you get antsy and have to leave the hotel a lot and do a lot of sightseeing, be prepared to pay up for the cabs. not only that, its just the time it takes to go around the island. If I am on vacation I want to relax, not spend an hour in a cab. A lot of people rent mopeds, we opted not to, it may have been cheaper but not worht the hassle if you ask me. But if you need to get out a lot, maybe this isnt the place for you. I think most people will have a great relaxing time here. One other thing of note that I heard from a guest, so it may or may not be true: They are bulding like 20 more units or something along those lines. If they do add on to the resort, I may not come back, because like I said the beach is small, but just comfortable enough that it wasn't annoying, another 10 people down there and that might make it tight.

But go and have a great time, get a deluxe room if you can, I believe there is a good difference from what I hear. Especially the bathrooms.

As I said everyone there works very hard, and they are super nice. We really enjoyed ourselves, mainly relaxing on the beach right there at Pampano and had some great meals too.

PS they don't sell aloe there at the resort, you pick yout own from the aloe plants that grow right there. Something different and fun.

12 Thank caribcarib
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Pompano Beach Club? Share your experiences!