“Can't wait to return”
Review of Pompano Beach Club

Pompano Beach Club
Reviewed August 11, 2008

This was our 5th visit to Pompano and was the 10th Anniversary of our first visit on our honeymoon. Pompano has grown over the years but the welcome is as warm as ever. Many of the staff were there in 1998 and it was like coming home!
The other reviews say it all about this little gem, yes it is a little dated and there can be some damp but the views are some of the best in the world, as are the staff. The food in the Cedar Room is excellent with good variety and the breakfast sets you up for the day.
Evening entertainment leaves a little to be desired but there is no need to do anything except sit out under the stars, listening to the tree frogs and the waves with a bottle of wine - Bermuda is indeed another world!
It is definitely best to stay MAP/Half Board as there are not many other dining options nearby and it is worth trying Cambridge Beaches and The Reefs just out of interest on the exchange if you can. Try to avoid leaving Pompano on Monday evening as the buffet has to be seen to be believed. The desserts especially are worth leaving room for!
Hire a scooter if you can as it is the best way to explore the islands - there are so many little coves and beaches which you can't reach by bus or ferry. It takes an hour to get to St Georges so its best to go to Dockyard and catch the fast ferry.
Hamilton is always worth a visit and Dockyard has the museum and some interesting shops. Flatts Inlet is pretty little spot with an aquarium and small zoo but not much else - definitely worth a visit. Ask Larry about Captain Shiner if you fancy a spot of gentle Reef Fishing - he is 87 and hasn't changed since we met him in 1998 - we have fished with him on every visit since and it is always a highlight of the visit.
We have already booked next years visit to Bermuda and needless to say, we are staying at Pompano!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BADGEREssex_UK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,440)

Reviewed July 29, 2008

We just returned from a 4 day stay at Pompano Beach on July 28th, 2008 to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary. We had visited the hotel and received a tour several years ago when we were in Bermuda on a cruise so we were very much looking forward to a relaxing stay at this hotel. In general, we were not disappointed, and we will be going back.

As others have noted, you really can't say too much about the staff at this property. Owners Tom and Larry Lamb appear to alternate days on, and they are both hands on managers, dealing personally with guest issues, driving guests to and fro, and in general being right there and ready to jump in wherever they can help someone. Both are very friendly and outgoing, and it's a very pleasant experience to have the "bosses' that involved personally, especially if you've gotten the "boss" involved at any of the major chains.

The entire staff reminds you very much of a cruise ship staff, as they are professionally dressed, professionally trained and for the most part, extremely friendly and accommodating. I would especially like to mention Fanny at the front desk, George and Greg who are waiters in the restaurant, and Ian who works the beach bar. This entire gang took VERY good care of us while we were there.

The first day was marred for us a bit in that we took the 7:25 AM flight from JFK to Hamilton on American. We arrived several hours late in Bermuda, primarily due to weather (bad rain storm) only to find that about 80 people on our flight didn't have their luggage. So our first hour on the island was waiting in line to submit a claim. When we arrived at the hotel, we informed them about our luggage, and Tom Lamb immediately contacted a little clothing shop nearby to see if they carried women's swim suits for us. They then drove us to the bus stop and gave us instructions on how to get to the store. After going to bed, at 12:07 AM, our phone rang and it was the late night crew calling to inform us our luggage had arrived and while apologizing profusely for bothering us so late, they thought we would enjoy at least knowing it had arrived. They were absolutely right, and I said I'd be right down. They said "no sir, we'll bring it right out, and don't bother yourself, we'll open the door and just drop it in so you don't have to get up.

We were not really pleased with the room we received upon check in (an end unit on the first floor with much foot traffic going by). We asked them about changing, and while the hotel was very full, Larry Lamb worked for about a half hour to move schedules of people checking in that day around to see if he could get us a room over the beach. After a lot of work on his part, the made the switch and we were told to leave all our clothes on the hangers, and just put the rest in our suitcases and they would move it all. That was accomplished in about a half hour. Great service! We would suggest asking for rooms in the Flying Fish or Angel Fish buildings, and definitely ask for the second floor for the most privacy.

I will not rehash all the previous reviews other than to say, in general, the food is wonderful. It's beautifully prepared and presented, it's hot, prepared as you order it, and delicious. The service is very accommodating and friendly. You must make reservations at the Ocean Grill and one night they told us they were booked and we could not get in. I called again a few minutes later telling them I wasn't very happy about them not being able to accommodate us, as we weren’t interested in that day’s menu at the Cedar room. They checked again and told me to come down about 9 and they would fit us in. They did so and we had a great meal. I will reiterate what one other reviewer said……don’t miss the Panko Tuna appetizer!

We were on the MAP plan which is the best way to go economically. They have a reciprocity agreement with 2 hotel restaurants nearby. You have to call early in the day to have them make reservations for you. We tried it one day to get dinner reservations at the Reefs. We called very early in the day, and they said to check back after 4 pm. We did and were told that they could not accommodate us. That was a bit upsetting, as there is no point in having the agreements with other restaurants if you can’t get it. So we wound up eating at Pompano every night we were there. The one thing that’s very nice (and very cruise ship like) is that the gratuity is set and charged when you pay your bill, so you never have to wait for a check or add any tips each meal. All they ask you for is your room number, and that’s the extent of the “paperwork.”

Much has been mentioned about the housecleaning issues, and most is true. The furniture and bedding is dated, and the housekeeping leaves a LOT to be desired for the price you are paying for the room. The glassware in the room was dirty when we arrived. I took it off the tray and turned it over so it would look used and get replaced, as they obviously hadn’t even checked it. The tracks of the sliding door were filthy, and the outside patio was ant infested and hadn’t seen a broom in some time. The bathrooms are updated and very nice, and in general the cleanest part of the room. The rooms also have carpeting which should be removed and tile should be installed, as the carpeting keeps the room smelling musty. There was some a Q-tip someone had dropped outside the door to our room, and it remained there for the 4 days we were there. If Tom and Larry turned their attention to the housekeeping staff, and were able to train them to be as top notch as the rest of the staff, this would be a premier resort. Right now, I would rate the housekeeping a 2 out of 5.

The beach……WOW. We’ve been to a lot of beaches in our world travel, and I have to say if this isn’t the best…….it’s about as close as it comes. Towels are abundant, beach chairs, umbrellas, noodles and floats are all there for your use, and we never had to really worry we weren’t going to get a chair, even though the hotel appeared to be full. The beach and the water are spectacular. All you see is beautiful green water on the sandbar which extends about 400 yards out until you hit deeper blue water. The sand is pristine and mostly rock free. Wonderful!

This property has separate buildings, and the walks can be quite strenuous if you have problems climbing and walking. There are many steps and many different levels, so if this is an issue for you, make sure you let them know when booking so you can get a room that will suit you better.

4  Thank Jeff56
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We stayed at Pompano the week of July 13th and even though Tropical Storm Bertha brought heavy rain and 70 MPH winds on Monday, she could not hinder the fantastic stay we had.

Our room was a suite with a king bedroom, separate sitting room with outside balcony overlooking the resort and azure waters, plus a huge bathroom with separate tub, shower and two sinks.

Upon Check in – friendly staff greeted us and gave a brief tour of locations and amenities.

Owner/Managers Larry and Tom Lamb are on site and really understand and cater to the needs of guests, for example we were looking for a boat tour with some Bermuda history and sightseeing – there was a tour available, but it was on Monday, the day of the tropical storm and we were leaving the upcoming Saturday – Tom overheard us and asked if we would like him to call the tour operator, we said yes, and within 3 minutes he had us booked for a tour on Friday Morning! I really can’t stress enough how friendly and genuine all the staff are, from the front desk, to dining staff, pool bar, beach bar, water sports, and housekeeping – everyone was friendly and accommodating.

Some of our favorite things about Pompano:

The MAP meal plan that includes breakfast and dinner in the package or room price; the Chefs’ are amazing, presentation and flavor is exceptional, I’ll try to post some photos of dinners and desserts – outstanding!

Beach is beautiful, water is tranquil and one may walk and wade out for hundreds of feet. Guests receive complimentary use of quality beach umbrellas, lounge chairs, noodles and rafts.

Rooms are mainly clean, large and all have a view of the beautiful ocean – rooms are serviced TWICE daily.

Staff provides rides to ferry, bus stops and a few other select locations. They will also pick guests up from Ferry or front entrance (there is a phone for guests to reach front desk). These rides are invaluable, no worries about missing an hourly van ride, and the staff goes out of their way to bring you when you are ready!

I really can’t say enough good things about Pompano Beach club - we have vacationed in Bermuda 6 times and this was by far our favorite place to stay! We now understand why many of the guests staying at the resort mentioned that they stay at Pompano 2 to 3 times a year and had lost count of how many times they had visited – matter of fact we are already planning our next stay in Bermuda and I’ll let you guess where we will be staying.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank BermudaBliss
Reviewed July 22, 2008

Since we are on the East Coast, my wife and I decided that we would go to Bermuda for our 20th anniversary. We spent a TON of time looking at sites (including Trip Advisor) to find the right resort. We decided on Pompano for a few reasons. 1) It received excellent reviews 2) It was on the west side of the island (SUNSETS!) 3) It had it's own private beach.

Now, let me say that we have realistic expectations. We knew we were paying a good amount for our room for our 10 day stay but every good place in Bermuda is expensive. We knew it wasn't gonna be perfect but we were hoping for a great time.

The night before we left, my wife broke her foot and was put in a shoe boot and on crutches. We had booked the Manta room (down 40 some odd stairs). I called that night before we left and the hotel moved our room to one by the pool. Then when we arrived, they were all aware of what had happened and they sooo went out of their way to make everything wonderful. We couldn't have asked for anything more - the staff was great, the food was excellent, the beach wasn't crowded (the public beaches are nuts!), they made great suggestions on what she COULD do with a broken foot (rent a boat, parasailing, some snorkling, etc.)

We loved it there. We have no complaints. It was one of the best trips of yuor lives and we will go back again and again. BTW, make sure you eat the Panko Tuna!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank drmarsh
Reviewed July 20, 2008

As others have noted, this is a lovely place. The setting alone is enough to make me want to go back; this small group of pink buildings is perched on a cliff overlooking a gorgeous pale blue body of water, and I never tired of looking at the view from my window (and, I would add, swimming was fantastic, as was snorkeling on the reef). The people who run the hotel were very nice and helpful and there was a good vibe about the place.

My one issue is that the hotel was overpriced and did not feel quite like a four-star experience.

For starters, rooms were definitely not worth $500+ a night. Yes, the view was great; but the furnishings were generic, there was a big stain in the carpeting, and I was overwhelmed by the smell of cleaning fluid when I walked into my room at check-in. I don't need much to be happy, but as others have noted, these rooms
were more akin to a Raddison than a luxury resort. There was also no room service (except, I believe, for continental breakfast), so if you wanted a quiet night of in-room dining, you were out of luck.

I didn't mind that the public rooms and dining rooms felt a bit dated -- one sees this all over Bermuda and it's part of its charm -- but I just felt like a few things could use some tweaking. For example, the view from the Ocean Grill Restaurant was dramatic, but always marred by lots of smudges on the windows; ditto the massage room. Food was good and plentiful, but not quite top notch.

With so many hotels in Bermuda closing or turning into condos, I don't want to be too hard on Pompano. It has a kind of Bermuda ambience that may be difficult to find in the future, and the setting and swimming alone were enough to make me happy. I just hope that going forward the owners can do a little bit more to make the experience of staying here truly worth the not inexpensive price.

Also one word of warning: If you have back or walking problems, best to take a room close to the beach, as the constant walking up and down the hill, though good exercise, took its toll.

4  Thank Bequia1
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Just returned from 10 night stay at Pompano and loved it. We had a deluxe room in Angel Fish building - very nicely decorated and a generous size with large bathroom and amazing ocean view. The staff, as has been mentioned in many reviews before, were very friendly - some outstandingly so. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast and dinners in the Cedar Room and Ocean Grill. We also had a couple of snack lunches in the Coral Reef restaurant and found them very good. We were there during tropical storm Bertha and while we felt somewhat trapped all day in the main areas of the hotel the staff remained good humoured and helpful. Quite a few emergencies had cropped up in the course of the day - blocked drains, leaking doors, windows etc and managers and staff must have been exhausted in their battle with the elements but when it came to early evening they served up generous helpings of pre-dinner rum swizzles and delicious hors d'oevres as if they hadn't had a care in the world - a slick performance.
The beach was small but the sand was lovely and the vast area of safe shallow water for swimming must be amongst the best in the world. Even at its busiest we always found loungers, beach umbrellas and noodles or floats and there were loads of beach towels available.
If I had to nit pick I would say that perhaps housekeeping was a bit relaxed and not up to the standard of other top resorts. Our room was clean enough and bedding and towels were immaculate and changed as much as we could have wished but I did feel that carpets and floors were given a bit of a cursory clean while we were there and noted the glass topped coffee tables becoming marked and dusty. We had had complementary champagne on arrival as part of the anniversary package and I had to leave a note after 3 days to please remove the dirty glasses (other glasses we used for drinking water were likewise not removed/cleaned). Outside our room the pathway and stairs would have benefited from a more regular sweeping routine but overall the property was very nice. We used the coin operated laundrette one day and it was only then that I realised how many steps there were to some parts of the resort. I don't think I would have coped with the long trek up to these rooms in the heat of the Bermuda sun (or even on a cloudy day!!) so I think anyone even a little unfit should choose their room with care!
This was our first trip to Bermuda and it is not the easiest destination for us to get to - no flights from 'local' airports - but it was well worth the trouble. We adored the island and Pompano will certainly be our recommendation for anyone who is looking for somewhere 'a bit special' .

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank scotswanderer
Reviewed July 17, 2008

I agree that this Hotel has issues.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned them previously.

The recently renovated rooms definitely have an 80s vibe to them.

And the renovation was mostly in the bathroom. But the old lighting is still there.

The rooms do feel like a motel, not a resort. The housekeeping was not good at all.

I think, with the exception to the Ocean Grill room, the whole resort needs a facelift. Everything looks tired and worn.

The service is five star. The owners and employees are so friendly and will do anything for you.

The beach, while very small, was so beautiful. The water is calm and you can float on a noodle all day long - its that nice.

The food is good. But if you are expecting food on the level of NYC or Nantucket - don't.

The location and the service were the best part of the trip.

3  Thank travne
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Fairmont Southampton
Fairmont Southampton
#3 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Pompano Beach Club? Share your experiences!