“Great Private Beach”
Review of Pompano Beach Club

Pompano Beach Club
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Pros:
- family owned hotel with owners that are hard workers and nice guys.
- great small beach with crystal clear water that's a short walk from room
- great choice of water sports at reasonable prices
- shuttle service to Hamilton ferry
- small hotel that's not too crowded
- the interns working there were friendly and great
- maitre d' at the cedar room was very nice - forget his name.
- several of the woman behind desk were very helpful

Cons:
- rooms were somewhat outdated.
- no waiter service on the beach
- little to no beach staff on beach
- the wait staff in both dining rooms seemed unorganized and at times confused. I understand the concept of having a captain, runners etc. but it it didn't seem like there was any true leadership in either of the dining rooms, which in turn made each meal more frustrating then the last. I actually waited an hour and a half for an eggwhite omelet and an order of pancakes (which came out cold) and on multiple occasions found it very hard to get a drink (even water).
- although most of the staff was friendly there were a few servers (particularly the bald gentlemen at breakfast) who were rude and unfriendly (borderline frightening).

Overall I thought the hotel was average but has the potential to one day be much, much better.

4  Thank MurtyVacation
TLIII, Managing Director at Pompano Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

We're sorry that you didn't have a more positive experience at our resort. I know you were travelling with four young children (all under the age of ten) and that you were all accommodated in one deluxe room (your choice - since we didn't have any suites available when you booked your trip). I'm not sure how you could say that your room was "somewhat dated" since I know that you stayed in one of our recently renovated (April 2013) oceanfront deluxe rooms - that was conveniently located to our beach and pool areas (??!!). As I've said in the past, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - those reading your review just need to know that the room you stayed in has brand new furniture and a stylish duvet look to the king-size bed.

We offer cocktail/beverage service at our beach (via our beach attendant) every day from 11am thru 6pm (and really up until 7pm), so I'm not sure why you would say that we offered no waiter service at our beach (??). If you are referring to their not being any food service at our beach, you are correct. We choose not to serve food at our beach - thereby keeping it that much cleaner throughout the day!

The time period you stayed with us happened to be one of our busier ones as far as families go. We apologize that that food service in our restaurants took a bit longer than normal due to the heavy volume of guests at peak service times. I know that having four small children at your table with you and your wife also made it tougher to keep them occupied when you waited for your food to come. The bald waiter you criticized happens to be a very considerate
food server and he is frequently commended by our guests for his efforts. I'm sorry you came away with a different opinion and regret that he wasn't more helpful to you.

We pride ourselves on being a very "family friendly" resort and as you saw during your stay, we cater to a lot of families and family groups during the busy summer months. Sometimes the large amount of guests staying with us at one time can impact our service levels a bit and I apologize for the delays you had during some of your meals. Be assured that your comments have been shared with our staff for their follow-up and training purposes.

There are newer reviews for Pompano Beach Club

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We chose The Pompano Beach Club based on the glowing TripAdvisor reviews that they recieved. It is almost as if we stayed at a totally different hotel then what the reviewers described. The service at both resturants was probably the worst service I ever experienced. I enjoyed it when two members of the wait staff actually got into a fight in front of me. Also, how can you recieve your first drink at dinner during the second or third course? How do you have no wait service on the beach serving drinks during the day (except for one poor intern who is responsible for four to five different things). how do you have the beach bar unstaffed at certain points of the day? How do you have no one helping with chairs and umbrellas on the beach? Yes some of the staff were friendly but at the same point some were rude. The rooms were dated as was the pool. We wanted to like this hotel but found it impossible. We almost felt like we stepped into a time machine and were transported back to the early 1970s. I will admit although the beach was small it was beautiful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank Mike S

We're sorry that you were so disappointed with your recent stay at our resort. It's hard to believe that your experience in our restaurants was not more positive. Our waitstaff is frequently commended for their friendly, efficient service, so we regret that you didn't come away with the same feeling.

We always have one of our interns on duty as a beach attendant from 11am thru 6pm daily (although they are usually working until at least 7pm). Their job is to circulate the beach and serve cocktails/beverages and assist guests with their umbrellas and chaise lounges when needed.

For you to suggest that the "glowing" reviews we've received from so many of our guests can't be real is an insult to those that have had a great time with us. We are sorry that you weren't one of those guests. We closely monitor the guest comment cards we receive from everyone prior to their departure from our resort and have been pleased with the overwhelmingly positive feedback we've received from the vast majority of our guests. We regret that we were not able to live up to your expectations though.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were scheduled to stay at Pompano Beach Club for 10 nights, but left after 4 (and would have left after 3 if we could've gotten into another resort sooner).

First, the good things...

The beach:
The beach (meaning the natural sandbar that stretches out for hundreds of meters) is great. It's the best beach for snorkeling/ swimming/ wading/ kids I've ever seen. There's not much surf, no current, and the water is crystal clear. The beach chairs and umbrellas were adequate, and the beach itself gets cleaned every morning.

The staff:
The owners generally seemed friendly and always wanted to help, and switched our room (moving our stuff) after one night so we could be a bit closer to the beach. The shuttles to the ferry & such were prompt and helpful.

Now, the bad things...

The rooms:

The first night, I cleaned a fist full of hair out of the shower drain. I also saw and killed one roach in the room. I didn't feel like complaining because I initially liked the 'family operated' atmosphere. The next night we moved to a different room. Again, hair in the shower drain (this is a $900/ night resort). On the third morning, my wife put her (bare) foot into her shoe and felt the crunch of a huge roach, which came scurrying out and running around the room while. I killed it while my wife was screaming and kids were freaking out. Still, we didn't choose to leave. We came back to the room after a day in Hamilton. I picked something up off of the dresser in and found my hand covered in ants. A plate of left overs from the night before had not been removed from the housekeeping staff, and ants had made their way into the room, over the ceiling, up the side of the dresser, and were covering nearly everything on the dresser. I called the front desk, which sent someone with bug spray. He sprayed the dresser and wiped it off with one of our bath towels (which he took away). He also sprayed the wall, ceiling, and floor along the edge of the sliding door, but didn't bother to wipe up the dead ants there. After he left, I pushed aside the curtains to look for any more ants and found another roach! We packed that night and went to Elbow Beach the next morning. Before we left, I killed 2 more roaches in the room. The management didn't offer to comp us for the problems we had, and suggested that guests leaving room doors open were the reason for the bugs.

The pool:

The pool and hot tubs looked so old and/or dirty that we didn't go near them.

The dining:

One bird flying into a dining room is cute. 3-4 every day, settling on rafters and chairs, in a buffet with food laid out openly on tables, just seems like inviting disease. The breakfast omelets were awful, and the cooks routinely 'shook' their spatulas dry right onto the dining room carpet (which was dark and depressing, and looked to be 20 years old). The roof in the dining room leaked everywhere during rain. Ordering a glass of wine at dinner twice resulted in the wine being brought after I'd finished my main course (despite there being about 8 staff members standing around in the dining room). The food itself was mediocre at best.

The beach:
Despite the natural beauty, there is junk stored along the rocky edges & caves of the beach. It looked like old nets, tools, ropes, etc. It's just unsightly in a place you're spending $900 a night for. Towels are old and stained. Nobody is there to help you set up a beach chair until 11am or so (most people just do this themselves).

Summary...
I really wanted to like this resort. I convinced my wife to choose Pompano over Elbow Beach and Rosewood. The beach was wonderful, especially for kids, but there are public beaches we found that were just as good. The rooms were disgusting, bug-infested, and unacceptable. The food wasn't worth the price. We've been to a lot of islands and a lot of resorts, we all (wife, kids, and I) ended up calling this our worst hotel experience we've ever had.

20  Thank Lee L

Fortunately for these guests, Trip Advisor gave this family the forum to say whatever they wanted. As you can see from their mean spirited review, our resort was obviously not the type of property they were looking for.

Our pool, beach and hot tubs are cleaned and maintained daily - enabling our guests to enjoy these facilities day in and day out! The deluxe guest room this family stayed in was furnished with new dark wood rattan furniture and granite counter tops this past April. All of our beds have stylish new duvet covers, etc. For them to say that our rooms were "disgusting" is utterly ridiculous and false. Unfortunately, small bugs can get into our rooms from time to time since they are indigenous to the island. Doors get opened by not only our guests but our cleaning staff and we always do our best to remove any bugs that have made their way into a room whenever we are notified. Our rooms are certainly not "bug infested" (in fact, most guests never see one in their room)! We regret that this family had a few issues with some bugs. We made efforts to try and remove them as soon as we were made aware of their presence in the room.

Our resort was fully occupied at the time this family chose to cut short their stay and move to another resort despite our offer to move them to a different room. We did not penalize them for leaving us several days early. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding food so I'm not going to begin to address their food related comments. I'll just say that we've received a great deal of praise from our guests all year long regarding our cuisine.

We regret that this family did not enjoy their stay with us. It isn't always easy to please everyone 100% of the time, although as so many of our repeat guests know, we always try to do whatever we can to make our guests happy.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Pompano Beach Club was just a lovely place to stay. It worked out beautifully for our extended family with a range of tastes and styles. There was something for everyone and everything was accessible and easy to get to. You could spend days without leaving the Beach Club and be perfectly content or could use their wide range of contacts to go fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling or rent bikes. Golf, on one of the nicest course (Port Royal) I've played on was just next door. No crowds, no waiting. Hosts and staff were as nice as could be. We look forward to going back.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Arrived this morning. Scenic drive to the hotel and all I can say is "wow!" This place is drop dead gorgeous. Traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean. This hotel is truly special. From the moment you arrive you are welcomed. Everyone works so hard here. It is their pleasure to make sure you have everything you need to enjoy your stay. The beach is spectacular. The highlight of my day was learning how to paddle board. conditions were excellent. The pool area is shaded. The food is delicious. I live in NYC. I enjoyed a 5 course world class meal tonight with a great bottle of wine. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and have breakfast. Think i'll head into town and come back to the beach for frozen cocktails on my lounger. Going to go to sleep now. Thank you Larrry, Tara, Cc, Velda, Mervin, Nick, and George for a wonderful day. Until tomorrow.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sueZcue
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at Pompano. I don't usually write reviews because I think everyone's expectations of great vacations vary, but we had such a nice trip that I thought I would pass along a few comments. First, if you are considering Bermuda - go. It is a beautiful island full of some of the nicest people, beaches, golf courses and stunning scenery you will find. Second, Pompano is a great place to stay and is a combination of elegance with a comfortable atmosphere. They have a little slice of heaven and a staff that truly will take care of anything they are capable of with a smile. We stayed in the Deluxe Oceanfront room and loved it. Bermudians are proud of their island and are happy to share their knowledge with you. Everyone we talked to on the island was friendly, happy and helpful. It is easy to get around by bus, taxi or in close vicinity the hotel has a shuttle. And it is an easy trip from the east coast of the United States. As the Department of Bermuda Tourism logo goes - Bermuda so much more and it really is.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TBChas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Bermuda has a number of top hotels from which to choose, but the cream of the crop is Pompano. The setting is spectacular, the ambiance charming, the staff welcoming, and the food outstanding.
We have enjoyed six visits over the past ten years and plan to return. We have stayed in four different buildings (by choice) and have found the view and accommodations in each excellent. Accessibility is the only major difference of note: as the property rises from sea level to about 150 feet above sea level, with the clubhouse and many adjacent rooms in the middle, the beach and the uppermost suites require navigating stairs. Thus, for someone with specific mobility issues, Pompano may not be the right choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Pompano Beach Club? Share your experiences!