“Incredible!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pompano Beach Club
Nutley, New Jersey
“Incredible!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in room 41. We've traveled all over and we rank this as one of the best vacations we've ever had, anywhere. It's been more than two weeks and we are still talking about it.

SERVICE: 5 star service!! When I was booking I had a special request that one of the owners (Tom) followed up with me directly about. I knew right away that the Pompano Beach Club placed an extreme emphasis on service quality after speaking with Tom. When we arrived we were greeted by the front office staff and immediately given a tour (all while our bags were secured and taken up the hill to our room). From the wait staff, to the front office, to the cleaning staff... everyone was extremely friendly and accomodating. The resort operates like a family-owned property should.

ROOM: I don't think any of the rooms have a bad view, but ours, from the top of the hill, was exceptional. Truly surreal to wake up to that view every morning. The room was large and well laid out. There was a pull out couch. The bedding was VERY comfortable. We had a huge balcony (really more like a patio) with lounge chairs and a table. Did I mention the view? The only think I could compare it to would be what you get when you stay in a high deck balcony room on a cruise ship. The bathroom was large and updated with a soaking tub, dual vanity and separate shower stall.

FOOD: Terrific food. Much better than the typical "all inclusive" fare. Breakfast was available two places (either continental or full service/buffet). For lunch there was plenty of variety at a reasonable price. The prices were also very reasonable. Dinner is also served in two places. Our favorite meal was at the Grill (more amazing views). We participated in the dining exchange program to the Reefs, which is another great option to guests.

AMENITIES: The property is truly unique. It's basically perched on a steep hill/cliff. ...but no matter where your room is, you are close to everything (the beach, the restaurants, etc... all steps away). You will walk up and down a lot of steps (as is the case with any shoreside Bermuda resort) but the staff will give you a ride if you get too tired. The pool deck, the layout, the buidlings... made the resort have a Mediterranean feel, The beach is truly unique. It's a nice white sand cove with a sand bar that stretches nearly a quarter mile. At low tide, you can wade out hundreds of yards in the shallow water. There are free chairs, tables, and umbrellas at the beach. It NEVER felt crowded. My wife and I watched the sunset from the beach one night and were literally the only people on there. There are not any connected properties, so Pompano's area of the shore is competely private and secluded. There is a tiki bar on the beach just steps away from the sand. The resort provides all kinds of free water sports. They will even give you free fishing equipment and bait (and they will cook any decent sized fish you catch when you go to dinner). There is a game room and spa. There is daily entertainment and activities. My one (very small) gripe... I wish the resort would change the hours at the pool bar. It close around dinner time. I think it would be incredible if they moved their live entertainment out there at night from time to time. Its gorgeous there and I think guests would love to hang out there and enjoy the scenery at night.

ATMOSPHERE: There was a mixture of couples and families. People of all ages, really. We didn't bring our 2 year old son, but he wouldn't have been out of place at all. Actually, we're hoping to plan a trip with him and our extended family soon.

LOGISTICS: The resort is about 45 minutes from the airport. 30 minutes from Hamilton (by bus). It is only 5 minutes from the Reefs and the Lighthouse (by taxi). Transportation from the airport (via CEO transportation) was easy and cheap.

SUMMARY: Amazing trip. Memorable and worth every penny. We can't wait to go back. Thanks to the Lamb family and all of the staff for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: Room 41. 2nd floor room. High on the hill but the views were great. Large balcony, soaking tub, p...
3 Thank Beng55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
Sudbury,Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was the first time visiting Bermuda for both myself and my Husband, but it will certainly not be the last. We booked Pompano due to the recommendation of both my Parents-in-Law and my Brother-In-Law, and they could not have made a more perfect suggestion! This resort does have the feel of a family owned resort, but with the luxuries that make it feel more grandiose.
I will be honest that I did feel a little nervous due to some comments regarding the dating of the rooms, but believe me they were great. The bathroom was very large with a separate walk in shower and double sinks. The air conditioning worked fantastically, and the little sitting area with 2 chairs and a table was perfectly comfortable.
The staff were what made this place above and beyond what I have experienced in other locales. We had great experiences with 99% of them , with the other 1% not even bad enough to warrant a complaint. I just think that everyone cannot be 100% one hundred percent of the time! Having the owners on hand the whole time I was there probably helped with morale and they really did seem to be happy to work there, which tells you a lot about the bosses.
The food at both restaurants was great and cooked perfectly every time, and the desserts.....yum. Another poster had commented on the Papaya & Mint soup....I was trying my hardest not to finish the whole bowl because I had another 2 courses to go...but I could not stop, it was so good!
The beach ...perfect...seriously....There was quite a bit of seaweed that washed up on one wavy morning but it was raked away as fast as they could.
The bartenders were all so friendly at the beach bar and the lobby bar. There also seemed to be quite a few staff that have been there for years and STILL have a smile and conversation waiting.
My only regret was that I did not bring my 6 year old daughter with us because she would have had a fab time also, but this trip was my 40Th birthday present from my Husband :)
I will definitely return again, and this time with my daughter also and am already looking at vacation time next year!
Oh, another note...we booked the discounted rate on the Bermuda tourist website and it gave us a discount of $400.00 for 4 nights. It was a great deal !

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tuna Terrace and it was a hike back to our room via the stairs! We decided to take...
4 Thank JaneDoe99
Acton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Our party of four (two adults, two older teenagers) vacationed at the Pompano Beach Club for a five-night stay in July. Bermuda is such an easy island destination: it was only a two-hour non-stop flight from Boston. We did not arrange transportation to the hotel ahead of time, but took a readily available taxi van to the resort from the airport (approx cost $50 incl gratuity). We were immediately greeted upon entering the comfortable lobby which boasts a spectacular view of the Atlantic. The front desk, though small, was fully staffed. Since we arrived at noon our room was not yet ready for us, so we went to have a delicious, casual lunch at the Ocean Grill restaurant on site. Just as we were finishing up, a staff member came to let us know our room was ready and to give us a tour of the resort. Pompano is on a hilly site, with smaller buildings spread throughout the property. Our tour included the restaurants, lounge/bar area, fitness center, water equipment rental area, pool, beach, and finally our accommodation. The four of us stayed in a Lower Snapper suite (the only rooms available when we called) which, though not large, was comfortable and well-situated. Don't hesitate because of the "partial ocean view" of these rooms-- our view would have been considered a full ocean view at many other resorts! Our suite included a balcony, master bedroom, nice bathroom and living area with both a daybed and a sofa that folded out to a bed. There were separate (quiet) air conditioning units for each sleeping area. For the last night of our stay, we were moved to a suite in Porpoise Perch, which offered spectacular full views of both the ocean and the Port Royal Golf Course next door. At all units, maid service was provided two times each day-- a full cleaning in the morning and turn-down service including lovely Pompano mint chocolate squares left on bed pillows each evening. We were on the MAP for our meals, which included a full breakfast as well as a five-course dinner on site each night. You also have the option of participating in a dining exchange program with two other resorts as space allows (though we chose not to take advantage of this during the week, by the end of our stay we wished that we had tried it once just to for something different). We found the food both in the upstairs and downstairs restaurants to be excellent, though the downstairs menu seemed to stay much the same for our entire stay. Do not be afraid to try the chilled soups-- the papaya mint was a family favorite! The downstairs restaurant offered a buffet in the morning-- sometimes a full menu and other times more continental fare; the upstairs alternative was a made-to-order full breakfast menu.

Pompano is a great jumping off point to do as much or as little as you choose while on vacation. The resort pool is very nice (and the pool bar offers fantastic smoothies including mango and raspberry!) and the beach is terrific. Bermuda does not have the long stretch of beaches that a Hilton Head or Turks and Caicos has; each beach area feels more like its own individual cove. The water was perfect and there was very good snorkeling off the further floating dock right at the hotel (snorkel equipment can be rented for a nominal $6 per day). We spent many hours happily alternating between pool, beach, and hot tubs over the course of our stay. Also, the resort staff is very helpful in helping to arrange activities. We rented mopeds one day and went to the nearby Gibbs lighthouse, the famous Swizzle Inn, and a few local beaches including Horseshoe Beach and Long Beach. Another afternoon we rented jet skis, and one morning signed up for a snorkeling/ boat trip. Additionally, the friendly and professional staff at the front desk helped us obtain bus/ferry passes and the resort offers a complimentary shuttle service to bus and ferry stops to drop off/pick up guests using the very clean, safe, and well-run public transportation system. We used the buses/ferry to visit both Hamilton for an afternoon of shopping and St. George's, a more historic venue. Unlike some other islands, it is nice that Bermuda offers more that just strictly a beach experience.

I would definitely recommend Bermuda in general and this resort in particular to: families, empty nesters, and honeymooners (all groups were represented during our stay). Pompano Beach Club is lovely without being uncomfortably pretentious, and I can certainly see why their returning guest rate is so high. The only potential issue would be that of access for someone who has mobility issues or a difficult time with stairs (there a a few steeper flights, including one that provides access to the beach)--of course it is possible that the dedicated and friendly staff at this resort have some creative solutions already in place to avert this potential pitfall. Our family is already looking forward to a return visit!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Acton_Traveler2010
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

First of all I would just like to thank everyone at Pompano for making our stay there absolutely wonderful. The staff are amazing; they treat you like family, not just people staying at their hotel. If they walk by you, they say hello and ask you how you're doing. I've never experienced such kind hospitality anywhere, so thank you! When we first arrived we were blown away by their willingness to help us with our bags. They drove us up to our room (the rooms are scattered throughout the area, in different areas) and even lugged the bags up the stairs to our room! I was just about to help and carry my bag but they wouldn't allow it. Very kind of them! After we got settled in, Cindy gave us a tour of grounds, which was really helpful. Plus, she let us know about all the different events that happen throughout the week. (There's a board in the lobby that lets you know what kind of entertainment is on for the day) Cindy is SO nice; she was so welcoming and made us feel like part of the 'family'! Throughout our week's stay, we kind of got to know everyone. The staff are so helpful, laid-back, and kind. We were so impressed by all of them - - Tom, Larry, Cindy, George, Greg, Gabby, Corvet, Lynn, Clay, and EVERYONE else, including the interns (unfortunately I can't remember everyone's names; but please know I appreciate you all!). This place is fancy, but not snobby by any means, which makes it great for families and couples alike. The private beach is perfect, sandy and shallow, with enough room for everyone. We originally intended to go to lots of public beaches in Bermuda but decided against it because nothing compares to this. It's not crowded, and you're not going to be charged with additional chair and umbrella rental fees. There's even some rocks close to shore where some cool fish hang out. We saw schools of pompano and parrot fish, too, which was really neat. In fact, we caught a pompano fish and they cooked it up for us for lunch! We went swimming here and at the pool everyday, but for 3 days we just stayed at the beach the entire day because it's so nice and relaxing. They have these white mattresses you can take out on the ocean and lie on. The pool (open 24/7) is great, and fairly spacious. Also, there's a kiddy pool and 3 hot tubs. I love how there's bathrooms and a place to shower off the sand close to the beach. There's also two great outside bars. Room service is amazing; they even leave little chocolates on your pillow every night. Within the lobby there are a few lounges plus a library and many board games. There's also a games room downstairs by the spa. We liked it when 'Bubbles' the DJ came...lots of great music after dinner. Speaking of dinner...it was fabulous, every night! We ate 3 times in the Cedar Room and 4 times in the Ocean Grill. The Ocean Grill's menu never changes but you need a reservation (book multiple days in advance!!). The Cedar Room's menu changes every day and you don't need a reservation. We were on the meal plan so we got the five course meals every night which were delicious. Cheese pyramids, Bermuda fish chowder (best soup EVER!), seafood sausage, mahi mahi, pompano, oriental salad, fruit and brie, peanut butter peaks, chocolate mousse - - these were just some of the amazing dishes I tried. Plus...you get a nice basket of hot bread. The Rum Swizzle Party on Monday was great, it included a nice buffet spread of fish and salad and cheese and bread, plus anything from the BBQ you wanted! And then to top it off....any desert you wanted! On Thursday, we had s'mores on the beach. There was a breakfast buffet every morning (it moved from room to room). I loved the omlette station. The Pompano is located at the end of a long road, so it was very nice to get shuttle service to and from the bus stop. While we were there my son got a severe sun burn, so we really appreciated how Cindy picked some Aloe Vera growing by the hotel and got the chef to slice it up for us. And....I think I've covered everything. Thanks for a great time; when we come back to Bermuda we will definitely stay at Pompano again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank lovelushforever
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

First, I want to say how nice, friendly and welcoming the people here are. Whenever I see a staff member or walk into the main lobby, I get a welcoming hello from the girls at the front desk or Tim O'Neil. Second, the chefs are amazing. For example, I went out on a fishing excursion with my dad (yes, i am 13) and took some fish home. That night, the chefs prepared it for us in a white wine beurre blanc, which I highly recommend, and the fish was free. Also, if you ever need any help with transport, the front desk tells you exactly what to do. They will even call a taxi for you. They give you the option to dine at any other resort in south Hampton for free because of their trade thing. The Reefs was definitely not kid friendly and is half time shares. However, pompano is very kid friendly and even has a nice game room with play stations, arcade games, ping pong, shuffle board, hockey and foosball. My favorite waiter was Lynn. He was so nice to me and he always wanted to have a conversation. When my sister was not feeling well, he perked her right up. I hope you come to the pompano beach club especially if you have kids. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011
Englewood, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We had a wonderful 4 day vacation and will certainly return to this comfortable resort. No place is perfect in all respects for all people. We found the accomodations and staff to be excellent. Our room was lovely. We ate in the Grille 3 of the 4 nights. The menu in this restaurant does not change..there are no specials, which surprised us. The Cedar Room does have another menu which we needed to try on the 4th night of our visit. We were a bit disappointed that there was only 1 vegetarian and 1 fish selection in this restaurant. Aside from that, we were so pleased to be at the Pompano and look forward to another visit.

springfield, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We enjoyed several days at The Pompano Beach Club in Bermuda. Our experience was truly SUPERIOR in every way. We loved our room; the overall
beauty of Pompano & the area; the friendly, always helpful staff; and the food was
terrific. It's an especially wonderful part of Bermuda: beautiful & convenient. We were
there from late May into early June. We will return as soon as possible; the best vacation in 27 years of marriage.

Room Tip: i think best tip is to ask the hotel mgt/staff to give you what they...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,023 reviews

Been to Pompano Beach Club? Share your experiences!