1,516 results
All reviewsthe cedar roomthe lamb familyocean grilllarry lambmeal planport royal golf coursedeluxe roomthe buscouples golf tournamentmonday nightflying fishfamily owned resortdining roomslow tidecoral reeftour of the propertybreakfast and dinner
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Bermuda for the first time and stayed at Pompano Beach Club on based on Trip Advisor recommendations. We weren't sure what to expect. The resort was not the biggest or fanciest in Bermuda, but I cannot imagine happier/friendlier employees anywhere. The owner, Larry Lamb, was around several days of our trip. He greeted us, he even drove us to the main road on the shuttle one day. We took a boat trip and the captain noted that Larry Lamb was almost always around, doing everything from answering phones to fixing things in the rooms. I think that having a manager who is so involved in the day-to-day operations is key to their success and customer service. The ladies at the front desk took care of us like our "Bermudian Mamas" making sure we had plenty of water and didn't get lost the day we decided to venture out for a run/hike. Thank goodness they did or we'd have been in trouble!

We did the meal plan that included breakfast and dinner. The breakfasts were good. Options like fresh fruit, berries, yogurt, meats, pancakes, eggs, etc were available to order. We could order as little (for a healthier breakfast) or as much as we liked. The staff went above and beyond to make sure we got exactly what we wanted at meals. We ate dinner in both of their dining rooms. I preferred the Ocean Grill to the Cedar Room. It seemed to be a bit more to the tastes of younger visitors. My husband had fish at every meal and loved it. I'm a strict vegetarian and found dishes at each restaurant that were appealing. They had a pizza made-to-order one night. I didn't really have high expectations for it, but even that was great. One of the salads offered was a field greens salad with blueberry balsamic vinegarette, cornbread croutons, and watermelon. I can't wait to try to imitate that at home. One night they held a manager's "Rum Swizzle" party in the little resort bar and served delicious drinks and hors d'oeuvres, which was followed by a grilled dinner.

The room was larger than anticipated with a very spacious bathroom. The shower had good pressure. The only drawback was that the door seemed a bit loose and light came through the cracks and one very windy day we could hear it rattle. I am sure it was not a problem throughout the resort and certainly didn't really diminish the quality of the trip. The housekeeping staff was very thorough and seemed to pop in and out quickly and unobtrusively to get things straightened while we were away or at meals.

The resort had a little beach. We were there at the end of March so it was in the low 70's for 2 days and very windy for our last full day. They had nice lounge chairs, powdery sand, and beautiful turquoise water. They had 3 hot tubs and a heated pool. Even in that cool of a temperature, the pool was fine for swimming. The hottubs offered a good view of the stars at night.

At the time of our visit, I'd guess my husband and I were some of the younger guests (early 30s) and I did notice that there were many seniors at the resort. There were quite a few golfers and it seemed like many people there were repeat visitors. I can see why, based on the quality of service.

All in all a great experience. Do not go expecting the kind of high-end modern "uber fancy" decor and lodging you'd find in big cities like Las Vegas or a crazy nightlife. The resort was clean, safe, served great food and welcomed us like we were guests in someone's home so that we were able to just relax. I will certainly return and can't wait to take family and friends with!

4  Thank Cassie S
Reviewed March 27, 2012

First visit to Bermuda and loved our stay at the Pompano. Southampton is about 40 minutes from the airport and worth the compute! The hotel is located within walking distance to the beach, unlike many of the other hotels which offer a shuttle service to the beach. View from the balcony of our room was the best in all my travels. Staff were attentive and so accommodating. My friend asked about the availability of soya milk, and they quickly said that they would have it ready for her for breakfast...no problem! Miss Patti, Gregg, the Owners and Assistant Manager, dining staff, etc. were all great! Recommend going to the dockyards to catch the ferry to Hamilton (20 minute ride). You can get to the dockyards by bus ($3 - $4) or taxi ($18). Ferry ride is $4. Tokens can be purchased at the hotel desk. Restaurants in Hamilton are expensive. We opted to buy lunch from the hot table at the local supermarket located across the street from the cathedral on the hill. You cannot miss it. We purchased the meal plan (breakfast & dinner) at the hotel and loved the food. No need to leave the hotel to eat. Lunch was also good and reasonably priced. Drinks were great ( $8 - $10). Be sure to try the Pompano Punch and Dark & Stormy! I cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 12 with two single bed (somewhat small), but the view makes up for it!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This was our first trip to Bermuda, and we did our research. this hotel/resort is a family run business and it feels like you are on a first name basis with the proprietors. The hotel is clean and the food was spectacular. you would be a fool to not opt for the dinner plan. We were there during March break and the weather was perfect, though i'm not sure how the weather is normally during march as this winter was warm. The beach was small but perfect and private. There were no other hotels in view from anywhere on the property. we had the luxury of checking out the Grotto beach resort and we felt that this property was more quaint than the bigger properties, additionally there is a Golf Course adjacent to the property which is perfect if you don't want to travel everywhere with your clubs. The Water temperature was a bit cool during our visit but this was expected. Our only disappointment was that the Watersports were closed during our visit. We figured it may have made sense to have the watersports open for a few hours(say 12:00 to 2:00) 2 or 3 days per week during the off season. This way there would be at least an opportunity get in some kayaking at least once during a one week visit. The location of this resort is perfect for using the bus and being halfway between the south shore beaches and the dockyard, both are highly recommended and so is buying a book of bus tickets. Getting to Hamilton was a bit of a journey, but it gave us an opportunity to experience Bermuda, and be sure to use some bus tickets(2 per person) to go for a ride on the ferry. You can get to Hamilton in the off season and to St. George as well during the high season via ferry. During our stay at Pompano Beach Club we met many people that were return customers, some for over 40 years, which speaks volumes about the satisfaction people feel when they stay here.

Room Tip: All rooms have a clear 180 degree view of the ocean, higher grade rooms are closer to the water, lower grade rooms are far above the higher grade rooms. All rooms have a sense of privacy. Visit their website and see the well documented and accurate images of the establishment.
2  Thank tctrotter
Reviewed March 26, 2012

This was our first trip to Bermuda, but it won't be our last. We were lucky to get great weather in March (high 60s to low 70s and no wind), and everyone reminded us of that. But the trip would have been great even with wind and rain because the Pompano Beach Club is a wonderful place to relax, to eat, and to swim. OK, the locals don't swim until May, but for Canadians, the water feels actually quite warm.

Our room had a great ocean view and was comfortable in every way. We were just a short walk from the main building. The restaurants (up and downstairs) are both excellent. We were never tempted to go elsewhere for dinner because in a week we never exhausted all the possibilities on the menu. The seafood was excellent and the steak I had was one of the best I've eaten anywhere. We also enjoyed tea at 4 o'clock every afternoon. (Get there promptly before the brownies all disappear.)

The hotel shuttle seems to be available to take you to the next-door golf course at any time you request and pick you up again. The Port Royal course is a real challenge. I don't know what it would be like when the wind blows, but I had enough trouble off the tee that I didn't need wind to compound it. My wife, on the other hand, played 18 holes twice without losing a ball. So it can be done, apparently.

Service is great at Pompano. The staff are friendly, they recognize you when you come in each time, and they are uniformly helpful. We had one minor plumbing issue that was fixed while we were at breakfast. We got the impression that staff were always eager to please, no matter what the request. It should also be said that the atmosphere is laid back and easy-going. You don't feel guilty about tracking beach sand through the lobby. (Well, actually I do feel guilty about it, but that's my problem.)

One other point about Bermuda in general: Don't let anyone talk you into renting a motorscooter unless you're a thrill-seeker in your 20s. The small cars and vans drive fast for such narrow roads, and they will come up to 3 feet from the back of a scooter and hold that position until they can pass. If you like that sort of thing, of course, you can have your fill of it.

Tourism is down in Bermuda, according to the local media. The number of hotels has dropped from 75 to 44. There are various reasons for this--the restrictive laws on property ownership, competition from lower-priced Caribbean resorts--but we found nothing to dislike about Bermuda. The water is the cleanest we've ever swum in, people everywhere are friendly, and to judge from the Pompano Beach Club, prices are not that high. With great meals included in the room rate, we found that our week in Bermuda cost half what we spent the year before in Hilton Head (and we loved Hilton Head!).

2  Thank Gzowski
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Just got back from Pompano again!! Was there this same time last year. We had perfect weather every day. The staff was 95% the same and the service was excellent, as always!! Rooms were immaculate, amazing ocean views from every room! The food was awesome, as usual. We went somewhere alse for dinner and wished we'd just stayed at Pompano. The dining room staff are the BEST!(Lynn & Lorna, King & Queen of hopitality). Sierra, at the front desk, has nerves of steel and infinite patience when dealing with difficult guests. Cyndi, Laurie, and Patti, also at the front desk, can handle any accomodations or special requests that you may have. Hanging at the pool bar with Velda, Greg, Nick, and Gabby, makes for a great afternoon. Mervyn rules the Sunset Lounge and owners Larry and Tom can tell you great stories about hotel and local history. Tim is the "everything man", he is fabulous! I can't say enough great things about this resort, JUST GO STAY THERE!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family