“Nice beach, average hotel”

Fairmont Southampton
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice beach, average hotel”
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Pros:
-Very nice private beach with chairs, umbrellas and towels. The location just steps away from Horseshoe Bay beach is also a big plus!
-Ferry to Hamilton was pretty convenient (the last ferry back to the hotel leaves hamilton at 7pm, so if you want a later night there you have to plan for a bus ride/cab back)
-We only ate at Jasmine and Wickets but found the food and service to be excellent at both restaurants

Cons:
-The walls in our room were very thin, we could clearly hear conversations happening in the rooms on either side of us. A couple of nights the noise level was very loud and kept us up or awoke us during the night.
-We found the beds to be very uncomfortable
-I agree with a previous poster that mentioned a urine smell, there was definitely some sort of foul smell that lingered in the bathroom, it seemed like the smell came from the plumbing and was stronger when the shower was running
-The hotel is somewhat remote from other attractions or restaurants (besides the hotel restaurants) so you need to be prepared for long walks, cab rides, or the bus/ferry just to reach another restaurant or find something to do.

This was our first trip to Bermuda and we got a great rate. We enjoyed the beaches but If we were to return we would consider other hotels.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank enfuego06

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 30, 2009

We just got back from a four-night stay at the Fairmont Southampton and were very impressed. Overall, the staff were very friendly and eager to help in any way (with the curious exception of some of the front desk staff when we checked in, who seemed indifferent at best). The only problem we had there, which was that our toilet had a tendency to run, was reported to the concierge desk when we went down to breakfast one morning and had been repaired by the time we returned to our room after breakfast. We were there to (belatedly) celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and minutes after we arrived in our room they sent up a half-bottle of chardonnay and some wonderful chocolate truffles. Our room was delightful, very good sized with a walk-in closet (and this for a rate of $129 per night, part of their 99-hour sale in May!) and a lovely view to the southwest which included a nice span of ocean and the Gibbs lighthouse. The concierges were great, and in fact all of the staff greeted us throughout the hotel in a very friendly manner all day long. The restaurants there are surely not cheap but we enjoyed all of our meals, especially the night we ate at the Ocean Club, which really was delicious and such a great atmosphere! The beach was great and the spa pool, which we enjoyed in the evenings when non-spa-users could use it, was very pleasant. We all found the beds to be exceptionally comfortable and the air-conditioning worked perfectly. We had no complaints at all and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank woodchucker
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 28, 2009

As my wife and I departed the Fairmont Southampton we actually departed early enough to visit other hotels to determine where we would stay during our next visit to Bermuda. It was that bad. Upon check-in, we were placed in a room that smelled of urine, was humid, damp and musty. To say the room was dated is an understatement. In this age of digital technology, we had an old 19 inch television set with poor audio transmission. This problem became evident because the weather was bad for three of our five day visit. We had to have maintenance come to fix our A/C, which did not work the entire first day, a lamp, replace a telephone, and repair the bathroom faucet, which sprayed water every time we used it. Beware! They charge for EVERYTHING! Guests have to pay for use of the gym ($40), internet ($14), pool ($30), etc. Notwithstanding, they still charge you a daily resort levy fee of $18.00. For what, I’m not exactly sure. If we excuse the Southampton for dated rooms and charging for basic amenities in a ploy to have you join their President’s Club, what I can not excuse them for is the consistently rude response from their staff. At times we felt as if we were imposing on them for making basic requests, like a ride to the golf course, a band aid, a restaurant reservation – which was never confirmed – a tee time – which was never confirmed – etc. Suffice it to say, that we’ll be back to Bermuda but not the Fairmont properties. Best of luck!

3 Thank JLV_9
Wiltshire
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Firstly – the good. The Fairmont Southampton was just packed with holidaymakers who all seemed to be having a great time, greeting one another ecstatically and hailing the staff as old friends. So please take what follows in context – we are the exception in that we did not much like the hotel and were disappointed in Bermuda. But that may be as much a reflection on ourselves as “old colonials” from the UK (or in my wife’s case no colonial – she is from Ireland), very much in the minority among crowds of vacationing Americans. Perhaps the Bermuda we dreamed of in happy anticipation of our Ruby Wedding celebration existed, say, three or four decades ago. Today it is overcrowded, the only open spaces having been sacrificed to the deity of Golf. It is a golfer’s paradise OK, no less than five outstanding (so I am told) courses on the islands. But we are not golfers.
And it rained, and rained and rained. We had just one day in our week when we were able to sit on the beach and enjoy the sunshine. If we expressed our disappointment to the hotel staff we were reminded on each occasion how badly Bermuda needed rain. No doubt they did, but among all the panoply of wealth it seemed not a quarter as much as, say, Somalia needed it.
The hotel is imposing and majestic in an Alcatraz sort of way – please take the analogy as being tongue-in-cheek. It’s just that the tall building and the rows of railings on the balconies that seemed cloned to infinity were reminiscent of something, and I’m sure it wasn’t really a prison. Surely though, it was not beautiful. The room was adequate, but I have had far better for that money in Italy, and with weather guaranteed as well. No complaints about drought either –but then I suppose they have fewer golf courses to water. The pool was diminutive and the poolside crowded – when the rain desisted for long enough for us to sit by it. And no-one troubled to take in the mattresses from the loungers and place them under cover when the next downpour threatened. So they were always sopping wet, to the extent that even layers of towels (with which the hotel was admittedly generous) did not protect our clothes from the damp. On our last afternoon there was a virtual, albeit brief, hurricane: mattresses, loungers, umbrellas, glasses, plates and various other detritus were blown about and into the pool. It was actually quite hazardous, yet a few people remained in the pool. We did not see any sign of staff coming out to order them inside. But maybe this had to do with the several notices by the pool and on the beach pointing out to guests that there was no lifeguard and anyone who chose to swim did so at their own risk.
Every morning we had an excellent breakfast in the “Windows” dining room, beautifully furbished and with glorious views out to the lagoon. We were greeted on the first morning by a nice lady staff member who said “And how are you this beautiful morning?” so convincingly you’d have thought she really meant it. But these were the exact five words she said to everyone else, and to us again morning after morning. The cynic in me concluded that she was only issuing this greeting because she had been told to. Is it an American thing? But what a pity that this magnificent dining room was closed off after breakfast and not used until the next morning! Why could it not have been available for dinner? Instead we had the choice of a snack meal in the Jasmine Bar, or going downstairs to the Wickets, a burger and ribs joint downstairs and, sorry, we did not come to Bermuda to celebrate 40 years of marriage to eat burgers and ribs. So the only realistic choice was to avail of one of the three – admittedly good – restaurants away from the main hotel building. Two were a good half mile away down a steep slope, accessible by what they call a “trolley” which ran frequently if rather hair-raisingly around the hairpin bends. This would have been OK, but in the rain it was really not acceptable, particularly for my wife who had brought some lovely outfits for the evenings and had so looked forward to wearing them.
We thought an outing to the capital, Hamilton, would be a distraction. The Fairmont Southampton runs a ferry service four times a day to its sister hotel in the city, and back. This was fun, but the city a real disappointment. Its scattering of historic buildings and the cathedral notwithstanding, Hamilton is a dump. No shops worth speaking of and, worst of all, a potentially lovely frontage ideally suited to shady palms and harbour side bars, restaurants and cafes was entirely given over to parking for row upon row of stinking motor scooters. Shame upon you, Hamilton. The little market town where we live in the county of Wiltshire, measured against you, would win hands down.
A further word about our room: drear, and with decor about as unimaginative as you could get. But at least the air conditioning was efficient and the bed comfortable. For the most part it was quiet, but with two exceptions so awful that these in themselves will preclude us from ever returning: on two occasions on our third night we were woken by noisy activity in the room above us the nature of which was only too apparent. I cannot be too specific here as I know Tripadvisor will veto it if I am. I accept that this is a hotel favoured by honeymooners, and some may have found it amusing. But for a couple in their sixties who are grandparents five times over it most certainly was not. The second occasion was even more blatant – a fight broke out between two male guests on the pool area close to midnight on our last night. It was violent, vicious and punctuated by as foul language as you could imagine. I hope none of the smashed glass found its way into the children’s pool. My wife was frightened by it. We paid a huge amount of money for this “holiday” as we Brits call vacations, but not for the “privilege” of having to endure these degrading exhibitions.
The Fairmont Southampton is clearly one of the most popular holiday destinations in this area. Long may its success continue, for doubtless it has great appeal. But not for us. We will not be coming back.

6 Thank Meriope
NJ
Reviewed June 24, 2009

My wife and my 4 year old son travelled to the Princess for four nights in June. We got a deal where we got interconnecting rooms with the 2nd room 50% off, child eats for free, and we got a $400 credit on our bill for Bermuda's 400th anniversary.
PROS:
1. Wonderful Beach! Great sand, plenty of chairs, pretty rock formations, calm clear water, and frequent Trolley shuttle. Also be sure to check out Horseshoe Beach next door which might be one of the prettiest beaches in the World!
2. Food while expensive is very good. Also all restaurants have kids menus.
3. Staff is warm and very friendly in all the restaurants
4. Beds are pretty comfortable and linens are of good quality
5. Housecleaning came early everyday, almost waiting for us to leave the room.
6. Nice marble bathrooms with double sinks and good products.
7. Free Trolley Service is great and runs frequently.
8. Pretty location with nice views.
CONS:
1. Hotel is a little dated. Rooms could be brought a little more up to speed. Cheap furniture and I had some light bulbs out.
2. TV's are horrible old 25 inch TV's with about 20 stations. No Nickelodeon and no inputs for a DVD player. Wouldn't cost them much to put in some new energy efficient LCD's. Movies were barely watchable.
3. Pool is too small. For a hotel this size they could use a much larger and more modern pool. They have a cute Kids pool, but it is way too small for the number of kids at the hotel. Slide barely works. I think the finish is gone.
4. Kids Club was just a room with some TV's and some couches. My son did not like it. They could use a playground and some more outdoor activities.
Overall, the beaches in Bermuda are what it's all about and the hotel has a nice one. Plenty of dining options and a pretty location. Not a bad choice for a large hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank MaxnBaci
Reviewed June 23, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Bermuda and the Fairmont Southampton Princess for a long weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary.

Check in was smooth and quick, although there was clearly a dispute occurring among the front desk staff that they were loudly discussing.

The hotel is very beautiful. We used American Express points and were upgraded to an ocean view room, room 142 on the 1st floor (actually 3 floors above ground level). Our room was very spacious and featured king bed, desk, small sofa, balcony, beautiful bathroom and a walk-in closet.

While our balcony had a good view of the front of the hotel grounds and water, it also had a direct view of the large entrance roof. Our room was also directly above the shuttle bus pick-up and drop-off area and the hotel parking lot, so it was a bit noisy. I think a room on a higher floor and/or closer to the golf course side of the hotel would be a bit quieter.

The shuttle buses were convenient for travel to and from the beach/tennis areas and the ferry to the Hamilton Princess. You can walk down the hill to the beach also; be warned the sidewalks do not continue the entire distance to the beach.

The beach itself is very nice. We were able to do some snorkeling, swim and lounge. The outdoor pool, located next to the hotel, was fine too. The indoor pool is only available to non-spa users after 6:30 p.m. daily.

The hotel was having major problems with its emergency alarms during our stay. On our first day, the alarms went off late afternoon. An announcement on the public address system told us the hotel staff was investigating and to await further instructions. A few minutes later the “all clear” was announced. On our second day… a repeat of the first day during the same time frame. On our third night – the alarms went off at varying times between 1 and 3 a.m. Since we had the a/c on, we could not hear the public address well, so I stood near the door on and off during this time. An announcement after the all clear stated the staff was having trouble resetting the alarm. Apparently so, because the alarms continued on and on.

Despite the lack of sleep (or perhaps because of it), I asked about the enrolling Presidents’ Club upon check out. I didn’t have my business cards with me, so the gentleman at the desk told me I could sign up on line. Seriously, I am standing right here and actually want to visit your other hotels after the events of the previous evening.

Dining:
Ocean Club – fantastic, pricy food; Try the tuna.
Jasmines Lounge – we only had drinks here. Good atmosphere.
Wickets – good poolside option for casual fare and dress.
Dining Room at Gibbs Lighthouse (also called Primavera on their website) – small restaurant with very good food and great views from the Lighthouse area.
Pickled Onion – in Hamilton. Okay for lunch. Across from harbor.

In all, the property is quite lovely. I wouldn’t bring a large group here, or a family, but may give them another shot should we travel to Bermuda as a couple again.

DE
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Fairmont Southampton. I was very lucky and got the room for 99$ an night. Check in was simple and our bags were in our room almost before we were! Everyone was helpful and friendly. Genuinely wanted to serve you and make your stay comfortable. The rooms were nice, we had two-- one for me and the hubby and one for the teens. The view off the balcony did include the roof and very little water, but I could see Gibbs lighthouse and for me that was an added treat! Be sure to take a walk up to lighthouse the view is awesome (about 15 mins there--10 mins back).The rooms were spotless--and I am picky about clean--and I would give the housekeeping an A+. The robes were nice touch and beds comfortable. Only one minor issue we called for fridge for the room (we had one in the honor bar but it was full) and for someone to unlock the door that connected the two rooms. It took the following day for them to accomplish this, but then it wasn't that big of a deal. Everything in Bermuda is expensive, especially food and drinks. We ate mostly at the resort and honestly, did not have one bad meal. Lunch was usually at the Cabana at the beach and the pool bar -- they had salads, wraps, burgers --usual lunch food. We often shared wraps or sandwiches and they were quite good. Adult drinks ran 10-14$, service was always great. Remember--tip is already added in the bill! Also ate at Wickets, Jasmine, and Bacci. All were good, but I found the Bacci to be a bit pretentious, but desserts there--one word--YUM. One thing we did not like in Bermuda was the tap water. Sure you could buy sparkling but that is a bit pricey at 12$ a bottle (at Bacci anyway). We purchased bottled water out of the drink machines for 1.50 and kept them in our fridge. We are not big breakfast people and I could not justify 20$ per person for breakfast every morning so we brought granola and cereal bars and that worked out fine for us (and saved a little money too). Took the ferry into Hamilton. It only goes out 4 times a day and the last return trip is 7 pm so you have to plan accordingly. We actually took a taxi back from Hamilton so we could stay later and it cost about 25$. Only used taxi service 3 times and each time the drivers were very nice and told us some interesting things about the island. There are scooters you can rent and we saw plenty of them, but that was not for us. On more than one occasion I saw scooter incidents that could have ended in tragedy. Took the ferry into Hamilton, smooth ride and took about 25 mins. Hamilton was fun, we did some shopping along Front St and were fortunate to see the tall ships that were in for the race. The stores do close early -- like 5 or 6. Ate at the Pickled Onion and Hog Penny both were good and had excellent service although busy. We had the chance to see the Gombeys in the parade that was held for the race, but I believe that they perform on Saturdays in the Par la ville park off of Queen street. My daughter and I enjoyed walking through this park to look at the statues and flowers. The Fairmont in Hamilton, where the ferry arrives/departs is a 5-10 min walk back to/from the shops and restaurants in town. Back at the hotel we enjoyed the private beach and both pools and hot tubs. The private beach is beautiful and well kept. If you want an umbrella I would suggest arriving before 10:30am. There is some service from the Cabana restaurant onto the beach, but you can walk up as well. Water was nice and calm and a beautiful shade of teal! One word of caution--beware of man-o-wars. We saw several while we were there. The trolleys are frequent to and from the hotel and we never waited more than 5-10 mins. Be sure to take a stroll to the public beach on the other side, (just go through the gates on the other side of the beach trolley stop) it is crowded, but beautiful as well. The outdoor pool tended to get crowded in the afternoon, but we never had a problem getting chairs for the 4 of us. Water was a bit chilly but not too bad. It did need constant cleaning, with all the flowers and foliage around stuff was always in the water. I did see someone cleaning it each time I was there. Indoor pool was beautiful but chilly as well. It is the spa in the daytime, so plan on using this pool after 6:30. We opted for the hot tubs, there are two on the patio surrounding the indoor pool and they were great for relaxing and looking at the stars. Had some difficulties at check out. First there are computers set up for guests to print out their boarding passes, the problem was the way USAirways site was set up, we could not get the passes printed. A staff member came by and tried to help us, when she could not get them printed she took us back to her office and printed the boarding passes from her computer. I was impressed that she took the time, I have been to hotels where they could care less--this is definitely not the attitude at this hotel. We also had some billing issues (all of our meals that we charged to the room were lost) they did eventually find the charges but this took some time and could have been a problem if we had not allowed plenty of time to get to the airport. Just a note on the airport--I found it to be one of the smoothest I have been to--maybe it was just that day, but we sailed through with no wait and no problems. One last tip, join the Presidents club its free and you get free WiFi and special service! This was a great trip. We thoroughly enjoyed the Fairmont Southampton and I would recommend the hotel to anyone and I really hope to go back sometime!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,054 reviews

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!