We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Bermuda Fairmont Southampton Hotel, and for my husband and I it was one of the loveliest relaxing 4 days we've had all year! This is a beautiful classic Fairmont style hotel. We took the advice of other reviewers and really enjoyed our stay with a few tips of our own:
1. This is an expensive vacation. Know that upfront and you won't be disappointed. This is not a budget all inclusive where the food and the service is suspect. We've been there. At the Fairmont the staff are first rate, The food we ate was very good. Be prepared to pay a 17% gratuity for excellent service, that will appear on your bill.The staff is well trained, courteous and discreet and for us everyone who served us was worthy of their gratuity. Living in Bermuda is expensive, this is not unreasonable. We pay 20% gratuity at home for good service, so we expect to pay the customary rate when travelling.
2. I checked the weather forecast and discovered we would most likely have some cloudy weather with some rain on arrival. So I called the hotel in advance of our stay and booked a massage for two. We had some time, approximately 4 hours before the 4 pm check in. We gave reception all our particulars and left our bags with the bell desk, taking only a small tote containing our swim suits. After a quick and delicious lunch of Lobster and Prime Rib Sliders at Jasmine (lobby lounge) we went to the quiet lovely Willow Spring Spa and really took advantage of it's offerings. After the very nice massage we went for a swim in their beautiful indoor pool, the sun was peering in so we also took an outdoor hot tub, then relaxed in the uber comfy robes, with a nice view of the pool and the Ocean beyond. After a steam and a shower, we were totally relaxed. We picked up our keys and the bell boy quickly followed us with our bags to our room. We were so relaxed we decided not to go to dinner but we ordered some flavourful chicken wings and a pizza for dinner. A great night in. We so appreciated this after getting up early for the flight.
3. Although the Gold rooms were highly recommended, I wasn't sure that the room had a view, so instead we had an Ocean View room and we got it on the 2nd floor in one of their newly renovated areas. My favourite thing, apart from the fabulous view of the pool and the ocean, is the walk in closet. In some hotels the safe is either down by the floor boards, or up high in a closet. Here the safe was eye level just above the nice built in drawers. Lots of hangers, an umbrella for inclement weather, great. We also appreciated the Keurig coffee maker and the nice large robes, the extremely comfortable bed and pillows, the direct reading lights, everything was a modern take on the classic grand hotel style. Taking our meals on the balcony was a special treat.
4. Wifi is important so I remembered I had a number for the President's club. I had joined awhile ago at another Fairmont, so I was happy to use that number for free wi-fi.
5. This is a very busy hotel, but it does help to do things a little differently so as to not be in the midst of crowding. We did use the Breakfast Plan offered at check in by the hotel, so that if you went to Windows for breakfast or if you had room service the cost was the same.
We took our first breakfast at Windows at a little later time, roughly 10:30 am, so we weren't in any line ups and we got a great window seat with a view of the sound As a consequence, we didn't get to the beach as early as we would have liked, but we managed to find chairs and enjoyed the day, even though it became very crowded in the afternoon- we made a note of that for the next visit to the beach.
6. The Windows experience for breakfast was nice, and I'm sure there's no problem in going to that restaurant in beach attire, but it is a grand room and I felt comfortable being dressed in street clothes. However, in order to enjoy the beach and not have to change for breakfast the rest of the time we took room service, which was very attentive and efficient.
7. Our third day we decided to hang by the pool. The pool isn't very big, but it has everything at your whim. We decided on a couple of lounge chairs but not right at poolside, since there are a lot of excited children with patient mommys and daddys there, but more in an area closer to the edge of the hotel where we caught lovely breezes off their golf course. We also stayed fairly close to the hot tub. It was a great spot to chill. If you're hungry there's a friendly waiter to serve you at your lounger, or you can go to Wickets just overlooking the pool for outdoor seating. I had an excellent turkey sandwich and truffle french fries and drinks of course :) The pool didn't feel crowded at all. There are quite a few children here so it can get a little noisy, but I love the sound of children playing so it didn't bother me.
8. On our final day we decided to skip breakfast and head out early to the beach so that we could get a lounger of our choice (we liked the ones with the built in cabana overhead so you don't have to worry about getting full sun on your head) and enjoy the beach at a quieter time.
We are so glad we did. This gorgeous beach in the morning is not to be missed. There were a handful of people there, we watched as the early SCUBA divers got their lesson and then headed out for a dive, we marvelled at the beauty of the colour of the water, from pure aqua to deep emerald, and it was just heavenly. We stayed from approximately 8:30 a.m. to noon then took a very satisfying lunch at Cabana on the beach, then went back out to our lounger and the little half chairs that you can sit in the water and daydream to approximately 3:00 when a lot of beach go-ers were in attendance. We timed it right as another quick rainfall came and went.
9. We loved the Shuttle service, we never had to wait any more than 3 minutes for a shuttle, so we never missed the feeling of not being "right on the beach" the hotel more than made up for that by providing great chairs, washroom and foot shower facilities, and beach food and beverage services. You can certainly go to the famous Horseshoe bay right next door and discover a gorgeous beach but if you want all the ammenties including beach toys and having a raked beach every morning the Fairmont's private beach was for us amazing.
10. Did I say I loved the Shuttle? This was particularly true for our evenings and dinners out. We tried Waterlot, Ocean Club and Baci. Every meal was memorable. For Waterlot the shuttle takes you down the steep hill and you only have to cross the street to get to the restaurant. Fairmont has a security guard there to ensure you get across safely, especially when it's very dark there at night.
11. Excellent restaurants : We really enjoyed all our dinner meals.
First night our meal at Waterlot in the 1629 building was very good. The service was very good. Most impressive for us, is they had a great wine we hadn't had or seen in Canada since our trip to Argentina. It was so delicious with our meal of steak and lamb. And the snicker's bar dessert... decadent and truly memorable!
We were so excited to see the beach at sunset and Ocean Club was just absolutely the most gorgeous setting. We timed a 7:30 pm reservation. We were lucky enough to sit outside and had a window seat to the rolling waves, the pink sand and the setting sun. For us, our fish meals were just incredible. I had a south sea grilled sampler of fish, and my husband had the tuna. Of the number 1 meals, we think we liked Ocean Club the best.
For our final evening we had pasta at Bacci. It was excellent, again cooked perfectly al dente, my husband had the Fettucine Al Fredo with a lobster tail, and I had the house specialty made with their own vine ripened Bermuda tomatoes. We were very impressed with this meal as well as the staff, who called for the shuttle when we were finished our meal. Fantastic.
All in all, we were very impressed with the Fairmont Southampton Bermuda. We hope to return~ .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fairmont Southampton, Bermuda is a luxury resort perched on Bermuda's stunning south shore with miles of pink sand beaches. Conveniently located in the mid-Atlantic, less than a two-hour flight from most east coast gateways, this hotel is perfect for getaways year-round. Sitting on nearly 100 gorgeous acres dotted with lush bougainvillea and towering coconut palms, The Fairmont Southampton is Bermuda's largest full-service luxury beach resort boasting 593 rooms and 6 floors with amazing views of ocean and sound. Unparalleled amenities are offered throughout the property. Spend your days relaxing at the resort pool, or pull up a chaise lounge at the sprawling private oceanfront beach club with Dive Centre, 11 tennis courts, jet ski rentals, and more. Unwind in the luxurious Willow Stream Spa with indoor spa pool & fitness facility, or tee off at the Turtle Hill Golf Club, an award-winning 18-hole par-three championship golf course. The Fairmont Southampton has dining covered for even the most discerning palates with an impressive range of restaurant options. Family-friendly, the hotel offers a kids camp for day & evening. Free round-trip ferry service is available to the Fairmont Hamilton Princess, located in the island's downtown district. Guest rooms feature AC, 42" flat screen TV with multimedia panel, spacious work desk, 2 telephones with voicemail, dataport, Keurig coffeemaker, tea kettle, mini bar, large walk-in closet, iron & ironing board, personal digital safe, private bathroom, hairdryer & bathrobes, and WiFi Internet access is available (fee). The Fairmont Southampton is a AAA Four-Diamond award-winning resort. The Turtle Hill Golf Club was named one of the top 5 par-3 courses in the world by Golf Magazine. The Willow Stream Spa won the 2012 Conde Nast Readers Choice Award for best hotel spa in the Caribbean. In 2012, Conde Nast called The Fairmont Southampton one of the top hotels in the Atlantic & one of the best golf hotels in the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Fairmont Hotels, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Fairmont Southampton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Fairmont Southampton Hotel Southampton
- Fairmont Southampton Bermuda/Southampton Parish
- Southampton Princess Bermuda
- Southampton Fairmont