“Great Staff”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I have just left the Fairmont Southampton having stayed for seven nights. We have thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

I will try and give a balanced view of the strengths and weaknesses. We struggled when choosing our accommodation in Bermuda torn between FS, Elbow Beach and Cambridge Beaches and will be going from here to try Cambridge Beaches.

One point to note is join the Presidents Membership online in advance which will give you free internet and gym access. I did this on arrival which was fine as I would have been really annoyed if charged to go to the gym at that room rate!

Strengths:

Definitely its people. We booked a Gold room, on the top floor with its own check in/concierge. Courteous and friendly service at all times. The lounge staff were also very helpful.

Proximity to Horseshoe Bay- just stunning.

The beds- extremely comfortable.

Dining options were varied-good steak fine dining restaurant and fish restaurant which we tried. Also available were Italian, a British pub (no bar oddly) and a casual restaurant, which we did not. Cabs are pricey here so on-site dining is a real strength. At this point I must enthuse about the Jasmine lounge. Great martinis and bar food served with a lovely smile (thanks, Daisy!). We found that if you have a good lunch this was a great alternative to a big dinner.
Ocean restaurant is much stronger than the Cabana at lunch but similarly priced- the views are stunning too.

The Gold lounge. A really pleasant breakfast experience with nice China and good breads,pastries, cold cuts, fruit and cereals with a couple of changing hot offerings included in the room rate. Afternoon tea also pleasant, with scones and cakes (no sandwiches) . Evening canapes also served but did not try those followed by mini desserts (that lemon meringue.....) You could graze all day!! It was nice that we could take soft drinks back to the room- water importantly .Big note, there is an honour bar which is charged to your room. I did not realize this (my fault) - having stayed in Club rooms in other hotel groups before, either the booze is included or at least pre-dinner with canapes.

The golf course on-site. We played twice. A super par 3. As holiday novices it was ideal. 3 hours was plenty to get round. Note if you are a Presidents Member (their free loyalty programme) golf clubs are not free to hire. The website is unclear on this as it refers to hire being free at selected hotels,in this case the Hamilton Princess. I presume perhaps that hotel needs more selling points? Not a huge issue for us as we were not expecting this as a freebie anyway.

The weaknesses as we see them:

The hotel is not actually on the beach, but runs a short shuttle up and down the steep hill. This is fine but for us put us off going unless we intended to spend at least a few hours,for example pre checkout,we will just go to the pool.

My husband says he is disturbed by noise at night, in terms of the air con units on top of the shuttle buses when they are stationery, also taxi drivers chatting and from inside the hotel. The walls are a little thin. I slept really well and use ear plugs as my husband snores!

When considering the above, the top floor is without doubt the best, but if you choose an ocean view you still overlook the car park before the ocean. I would probably go harbour view next time, which I suspect may be quieter and just as attractive.

We would have preferred not to have the entertainer down at the Dock Bar. To us the comedy mini guitarist (sorry I am not sure of the correct term and I mean the guitar and not the player when I say mini) was not in our view a good fit for the pretty spot. Some background chilled music would have been perfect. The last straw warranting this mention was when one poor group got up to leave without ordering and he called after them over the microphone with some ditty or other. Maybe a little bit of a sense of humour failure on our part, but at £400 plus a night for some rooms- really? When going to the fine dining restaurant we thought of giving it another try, but reconsidered when we saw him two nights later and went straight into the restaurant instead. Generally the Dock Bar is a good spot and serves snacks (posh ones) but you need the right table as in our view not all the furniture were conducive to eating even if only the lighter bites.

The pool area- could be better- not a massive pool and we found the extractor fan loud, but there is a private beach so.......

Size is a tricky one. This is a big hotel and families and corporations like it as well as couples like us. Everywhere is a bit of a walk, but if you want the choice of bars and restaurants, that is the trade so more of a strength and a weakness really. We were not bothered by screaming kids or groups of business people, which was a concern when we booked.

Sun Beds- around the pool ok, but poor on the beach. Those rubber slatted ones. I found them uncomfortable. There seem to be loads left out and close together, more than were needed. It created a crowded impression where it was not that crowded at all.

The sea was let's just say, refreshing!

General final pointers.

There is a free ferry to and from the sister hotel in Hamilton. A good service but runs infrequently eg 9am then not until 12.30.

We caught the bus to and from Hamilton from by the shuttle stop. Every fifteen minutes and tokens can be bought from concierge. Otherwise there are loads of cabs, so transportation is really not a problem.

The room was bright and a good size- great coffee machine and big tv. It was what we expected with a nice balcony with a table and two chairs. Perhaps a little dated but perfectly acceptable.

I have no doubt that anybody who does their research and thinks carefully as to what they are looking for who goes on to book would have a good stay at this hotel.

As a final PS, we did go to Elbow Beach for lunch and asked to see a room. They appeared to be pre-fab style bungalows and really not inspiring at all. The development looked tired with lots of rooms looking at the buggy accesses and then down to the sea. I understand the main hotel rooms are not inhabited. The lunch was nice, the beach absolutely stunning but not our cup of tea.

Room Tip: Gold room-I think all of the top floor rooms would have a good view.
2  Thank holidaygal2014

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week and had a good holiday. Our room, on the Gold floor, was very comfy and the Gold Lounge and its staff were uniformally superb and well worth the extra. Ashley and Rolly were superb. Breakfast and snacks in the Lounge were delicious. The beach was great and we really enjoyed the ferry to Hamilton and its sister hotel which is conveniently located to explore Hamilton. Food at the hotel was good in the Jasmine Lounge but a bit samey elsewhere and very expensive. We found the Waterlot Inn to be the most overrated place. Our only issues were the large amount of extras added on to the bill - why were they not included in the not inconsiderable room rate. Best of all was the 17% service charge for a self serve coffee. This is a good hotel, not a great one.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bathpair
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I chose to stay at this property because of its location in South Shore. I stayed on the 4th floor (Room 4452) in a Deluxe Ocean View Room. I loved the view from the room. The room had a balcony which was perfect to enjoy a drink along with the view and sea breeze. However, the room definitely needs an upgrade. The wear and tear can easily be noticed when you enter the room. I was really impressed by the courtesy of the staff over the phone and during my stay. Their effort to address everyone by name is very commendable.

The private beach and the bus stop is a 10 minute stroll from the lobby. There is a shuttle that shuttles guests from the lobby to the beach and the bus stop. There is a path to the well-known Horseshoe Bay beach from the private beach. One can walk along the shoreline exploring the different beaches, although the path is not always along the beach.

The property grounds are great although I did not get a chance to explore due to my short stay. I would give the property 3 stars (an upgrade is long due) and the additional star is for the hospitality shown by the staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PJ_Globetrotter
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My teenage daughter and I just spent 5 wonderful days at the Southampton. Every aspect of our vacation was perfect. The staff was extremely attentive, friendly and helpful. They made every effort to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. The food was excellent at Bacci, Jasmine, and we especially loved the Ocean Club with a fabulous view of the sunset and ocean. The beach is great with comfortable chairs with optional hoods to protect from the sun. My daughter enjoyed swimming out to the large rock and climbing to the top to get a better view. We walked next door to Horseshoe Beach one day for a change of pace and it was worth the trip.a very lovely beach with hidden coves and rock formations. I would highly recommend the Southhampton to anyone visiting Bermuda.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Wonderful stay! Excellent room service! The property has friendly staff and great service. The food was very good. You receive extra discounts if you become a presidents club member. All and all I was very satisfied with my stay, and look forward to a return visit!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton for 3 nights in June. Check in was a bit slow, but it was busy and the staff apologized and acknowledged the longer than preferred wait time. The room we were assigned turned out to still be occupied. In the hotel's defense, I think the bags that were still in the room were supposed to have been moved. It wasn't a big deal anyway, and we weren't fussed but nevertheless they upgraded us to a larger room (a 1 bdrm suite). It wasn't necessary but was greatly appreciated. Overall the level of service, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff is outstanding. The grounds are luxurious and well maintained, the facilities are high quality, the beach is beautiful (note you have to take a short shuttle ride). We went scuba diving on our 2nd day and were very impressed with our 2 diving instructors Chris and Poppy. Food and drinks are very expensive - I guess that's what you have to expect in Bermuda. We would take our own bottle of wine to the beach, and though we were discrete, no one hassled us. I'd only caution that this hotel gets a lot of conferences, group business travel, etc. so the odd loud drunk group late at night might be common, especially if next door. We had a great vacation overall, partly due to the quality of the hotel.

2  Thank Neil W
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Unfortunately, this was not the Fairmont experience we expected. Housekeeping was bad (we ended up having to write them notes every day of what we needed them to do), service all around was fairly poor. Only highlights are the location, the ferry service to Hamilton and the Waterlot Inn restaurant (which you can go to even if you're not a guest.) OceanClub was disappointing. I ordered Wahoo - the first piece was completely raw in the middle, next piece was tougher than rubber - I ate neither but still had to pay for it. The spa was out of soap and shampoo in the showers 3 of my 5 visits, the sauna was turned off two of my visits and they had no drinking water twice. Service in all restaurants except the Waterlot was slow (I'm guessing it's because they automatically add 17% gratuity so there's no motivation for the wait staff).

If you're looking for a high end resort with service to match, the Reefs and Tuckers Pointe are the only options, we toured both for our next trip to Bermuda and both had what we were looking for - you will be disappointed if you have high expectations of the Fairmont. If location is all that matters, then the Fairmont is a good spot.

Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Jason L,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the hotel but disheartened that you were so disappointed in the service you received. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping and food & beverage team about the poor service you experienced. I’d like to apologise that you did not feel better taken care of, we pride ourselves on providing high-quality service and it sounds like you did not receive that.

I am glad, however, that you enjoyed The Waterlot Inn. The spa did have an issue with the sauna recently which has since been repaired, but I am sorry it disrupted your spa plans. I have followed-up with the spa team about availability of products, also.

If there are any particular incidents you’d like to discuss with me, please feel free to reach out at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com. Again, I am disheartened that you did not enjoy yourself but your feedback will help us to improve, so thank you for sharing.

Carlita Lodge

Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!