“Never disappoints!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Southampton
Montreal, Canada
“Never disappoints!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

We recently returned to Fairmont Southampton and it did not disappoint. Everything was perfect, from check-in to the beautifully decorated rooms to the wonderful service. If you like to be a little out of the hustle & bustle then this is the hotel for you. A short ferry ride brings you into Hamilton (where the sister hotel is located) & of course there is the private beach with pristine waters, plenty of seating and of course A+ service. We only wished we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms, all have beautiful views either of the harbour or the ocean/golf course.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Bridgetmtl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (962)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

We came here for our birthdays and Mother's Day weekend. It was a long, nice romantic weekend. They even brought us a delicious birthday cake. The fairmont gold was great and everyone was very attentive. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The beach was amazing and the reefs that were right off shore were beautiful and lively. The restaurants in the hotel were great. We especially liked watching the Miami Heat game in the Jasmine lounge. My husbands favorite part was seeing the parrot fish in an array of colors coming really close to shore. We had a blast! Thank you!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Ogden, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

First of all, I have stayed at a Fairmont Hotel on the gold floor before. It was in Hawaii on the big island and it was INCREDIBLE! I was so impressed with everything there, and especially with the gold floor. So when we booked our trip to Bermuda at the Fairmont, again on the gold floor, we had high expectations. The Fairmont Southampton was an utter disappointment, and that is being nice. Our first problem was the location of our room on the gold floor. There was a back lot of some sort with what I can imagine is where they do a lot of maintenance. Everyday we would hear people yelling and bantering at each other. The sliding glass doors leading to our small balcony were paper thin. We kept going to the balcony thinking they were open because it sounded like it. And if we weren't hearing people yelling, there was some sort of giant buzzing noise that was non stop. Then there was a fighting neighbors. The walls were as paper thin as the sliding glass doors. We heard them screaming and throwing things at each other. Then I filled up the bath tub the first night and crawled in. I looked up at the underneath of the soap dish and the entire bottom part was covered in thick black mold. It was disgusting. I called down to have them come clean it. The lady came up to clean it and says can you come in here? Is that better? And points to the soap dish. I'm thinking well if the mold is gone then yes. Then there was the gold room. After experiencing the gold room in Hawaii, which was ALWAYS stocked full of amazing snacks and food, I expected this to be the same. I can't tell you how many times we went in there and it was bare.. nothing in there. And when there would be something it was a tiny little morsel of food. Considering how much more expensive the gold floor is, we expected more. Then we were in there when they actually had some food in there and a waiter came around serving this little meat balls and dropped one in my lap. Bless his heart I know it was an accident and he truly felt so bad. He tried really hard to make up for it. So there was no hard feelings there. But it all started adding up. Then we came home from the beach one day and our toilet didn't work. It wouldn't refill after flushing. So we called the front desk and they had turned off the water because there was a plumbing problem on our floor. Ok understandable, but maybe a little notice? The front desk seemed so bugged when I called. She said an hour and it will be on. An hour came and passed. So I called again. Again put our the lady said an hour. Well 3.5 hours came and went. I finally called again and she said it's back on. Well our toilet didn't work. So they had to again send maintenance up and he had to work on it for 20 minutes before to get it working again. Then there was a fire alarm. We were laying in bed at 11 at night and the fire alarm goes off and all the doors shut. It continued going off for about a half an hour. My husband and I packed some bags and got ready to leave. It finally got turned off and we went to bed. The next day.. again it goes off. It ended up going off 3 different times over 3 days. I love that they have a security system in place, but they kept saying it's a gliche in the system. It's a gliche in the system. Honestly, our entire stay was super frustrating. We were so disappointed after staying at a different Fairmont. We definitely won't go back to this one

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LaciJo33
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay. I'd like to sincerely apologize at the disappointment you experienced during your stay, it sounds like you experienced a series of services anomalies which did not create a pleasant vacation atmosphere for you. I have spoken to the Fairmont Gold team, and while they are extremely apologetic and disappointed about the feedback you have left, they are unsure of the particulars around your stay. If you could email me at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com, I would be happy to connect you with our Fairmont Gold Management that would like to discuss some of the specifics of the issues you faced and apologize personally.

To address one of your issues vaguely, the Fairmont Gold Lounge offers a continental breakfast at 6:30 AM - 10:30 AM (until 11 on weekends), afternoon tea at 3 PM, hor d'ourves at 5:30 PM, and desserts at 8:30 PM. I am not sure if you visited the Fairmont Gold Lounge at a different time expecting food, but these times are fairly standard and the spread is quite impressive.

Again, I would like to sincerely apologize for this visit - we are committed to providing high-quality service in a relaxing, enjoyable environment and it sounds like we let you down. I very much hope you take the opportunity to reach out to me directly so that we can try to learn from the mistakes we made. Thank you again for your candor.

Best,
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

If you want a resort hotel with all the amenities, the Fairmont fits the bill. By Bermuda standards a very nice beach; a fitness center with brand new equipment with ocean views; excellent tennis program. Hotel ferry to and from Hamilton. The hotel is spotless and the rooms are very tastefully done. Friendly staff. While it's large, I never felt crowded. A great hotel. Highly recommended. I plan to return.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank fairfaxattorney
Beavercreek, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Spent a week at the Fairmont and loved it. Convenient amenities available on the property include a cycle shop (for moped rentals), golf course, tennis courts, dive shop (for kayak, snorkel, stand up paddle rental), shuttle to beach, several restaurants, and ferry to Hamilton. Recommend joining the Presidents Club online for free wifi and 10% off merchandise at the resort shop, plus using the spa pool and jacuzzis after 6:30 pm (free for all guests).

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

The pros:
The service at the Fairmont South Hampton is perfect. The food is very good at all the restaurants we tried. The hotel offers free ferry service to Hamilton to shop or eat out. It is a nice boat ride of about 25 min. each way. This is a great service that I didn't know they had last time we stayed there. They also shuttle you to the beach and golf course and The Waterlot inn and ferry. The shuttles run all the time and there is very little wait time for them.

The Cons:The views are not all great, the ocean views are good but the bay views are limited views with the employee entrance rooftop of the building in most of the view and only a small bit of water, I asked to move to a better view and they first said no but then let me look at another room. It was a much better view with houses and small islands and the hotel lawn in the view. Thank you for the move, we were staying a week!
The walls are paper thin, I could hear every cough and even someone snoring in the room next door. The housekeepers are too loud in the halls during the afternoon, chatting and talking back and forth, couldn't take a nap even with the privacy sign out.
They turn the AC back during the night and even though it says it goes down to 66 it clearly was never 66! It was hot and it is not even that hot outside You have to sleep on top of the covers. Someone else told me their room was cold so it might have just been our room but they didn't fix it.I called the first night to get the AC checked and they said it was working fine. The fan on the AC you can't turn to on and leave it on, it goes off automatically in 10 min. I wanted to try to drown out the noises from around but I couldn't even do that. I recommend they change the AC's in the rooms so you can leave the fan ON.

Room Tip: Take an Ocean view or you take your chances on getting a very limited view. Room 351, 353 and 355 we...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank juliecoolie
Dear juliecoolie,

Thank you for leaving us such a detailed review, along with so many photos - it looks like you enjoyed the culinary scene! I am so glad you enjoyed the service and found the complimentary ferry services & hotel shuttles to be convenient.

Our room types differ based on the view and we are extremely clear about the options when we label them for sale. Moderate Rooms offer no views, while Fairmont Rooms offer partially obstructed views, both are an economical way to experience Bermuda. Deluxe Ocean & Deluxe Harbour/Golf Rooms have uninterrputed views, one of which you must have been moved into, so I am glad our team was able to accommodate. I have noted your concerns about the walls and will send them on to our hotel management. Our Engineering team engages in rigorous efforts to conserve energy, some of which you found inconvenient, which I am very sorry for.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Best,
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Very relaxed and polished hotel with an extremely agreeable staff. The beachfront oasis was adjacent to horseshoe bay an extraordinarily beautiful beach. The only downside was the pool area that was small and a bit crowded. One waiter was a bit obvious in waiting for a tip when he was not at all attentive and tried to deliver our drinks to another couple. It was rather comical.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Vaq28
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel & found the staff to be pleasant, along with our private beach club. I sincerely apologize if you experienced some service anomalies at a restaurant, all dining includes a 17% gratuity.

Thank you again for the review, and I hope we can welcome you back again to Bermuda soon.

Best Regards,
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,037 reviews

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!