“Great Location.”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Just got back from a week at the Fairmont Southhampton and to paraphrase a famous quote - it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

The positives:
- when we arrived at the hotel I was greeted by Nick and it was like I was a long lost friend, great big smile and couldn't have been nicer. When we left Nick also came by to say good bye. I would say all of the staff said hello and was helpful.
- the location was great, very peaceful.
- good bed and comfortable pillows
- the room was spacious and clean
- good selection on the tv
- we ate a couple of times on property and the food was good
- the hotel helped arrange a party for my daughter and it went off with out an issue

The negatives:
- I was once told that when on vacation don't worry about the cost, just enjoy the time. This was put to the test in Bermuda in general and the hotel in particular. A number of reviews talked about how expensive Bermuda is so I wasn't totally surprised, but the hotel costs seemed very high, which meant after the second day we stop eating on property. We found a number of good options in Hamilton.
- I was surprised to be charged for the use of the internet and the gym, to me that seems petty. Just a hint to avoid these charges - join their President's Club and they wave the charges
- we had trouble getting regular maid service - they seemed under staffed
- my bill had a few extra charges which got removed but frustrating to deal with it.
- I was surprised at how dirty the beach was, not just seaweed but trash. I was even more surprised to see a staff member pick up a few pieces of trash yet leave the beach still with trash
- the van service is good but not well explained and a number of people got on the wrong shuttle.

We had a great time and will visit Bermuda again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank pmdworldtraveler
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. You're right, Nick is the greatest way to start & finish a vacation - I am glad he & other other staff left such a positive impression on you. It sounds like you enjoyed your guest room and I am thrilled your daughter enjoyed her party! It's also great that you were able to take advantage of the benefits of Fairmont President's Club membership.

The prices of goods in Bermuda, particularly food, are reflective of the reality of operating a business on a remote island where all items must be shipped in. We have a range of restaurants that cater to a variety of price points and we believe our offerings are consistent to the prices of everything else in Bermuda. All of our dining & spa prices are listed on our website, which we suggest guests browse before they visit so that they can plan everything they'd like to do & see.

I apologize that you experienced service discrepancies with housekeeping, and that there was some confusion with your bill, but I am glad it was resolved before you departed. Our shuttle vans are equipped with digital screens displaying where they are heading, I am sorry to hear that some were finding it difficult, I will send a note to the shuttle team to see if there is any other signage that would help.

To address your note about the beach: seaweed is a natural occurence necessary to keep our shoreline and reefs healthy. We do rake it up, but it naturally flows in with the currents. I am sorry it disrupted your beach time. I have sent a note to our Operations team about any actual trash, we do our best to ensure the beach remains pristine at all times and are committed to ensuring we do not create a negative environmental impact.

Thank you again for your review, while I'm glad you had a largely good time, I apologize again for the areas we did not show enough attention to. Hopefully this will not be the case during your next visit.

The Fairmont Southampton

Write a ReviewReviews (4,164)

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Bermuda. We arrived the day before Easter and returned the following Wednesday. This was my second time staying at the Fairmont Southampton. I stayed in August with my 25 yr old daughter and fell in love with Bermuda and the hotel. From the moment you arrive at the hotel, actually Bermuda in General, you feel like you're VIP. Nick and the rest of the bell staff couldn't be more welcoming. Checking-in is quick and welcoming as well. We had an ocean view room on the 2nd floor, recently updated, very clean and comfortable. Very roomy rooms. Others say the hotel is dated, we'll I can see some areas that can be improved but they are gradually working on that apparently. The lobby lounge is a great place for a cocktail and a bite to eat. Try the pizza-fantastic coming from a New Yorker! The beach for the hotel is ok, not my favorite. Walk through the gate and go to Horseshoe Bay! Amazing! Chairs for rent, $15/day. Well worth it! Great cocktail service on the hotel beach though, so it's a trade-off. We had a massage at the willow stream spa that was fantastic! Michael is the best! Spa is beautiful, spend the day you won't be disappointed! Ate dinner at Waterlot twice, fantastic food and service! If I learned anything being a return guest, you MUST JOIN THE PRESIDENTS CLUB! Sign up online, it's FREE, you get soooo much just by doing this. For all of those that complained about no free wifi, we'll join the Presidents club then! You get free wifi, priority check-in area, continental breakfast ($10) up charge for the FULL buffet), free use of the gym etc. it's a no brainier! Looking coward to returning this summer/fall!

Room Tip: Join Presidents club! It's free!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AMV37

Thank you for sharing about your recent second visit to The Fairmont Southampton. I am so glad that you also enjoyed your second stay not only at the hotel, but also on our little island in the sun.

I am glad you enjoyed your new room, and I will definitely be sending our chefs this New Yorker's take on our pizza! I am glad you enjoyed the Waterlot Inn, spa, and nearby beaches - it sounds like you got a lot of fun packed into your visit. You're definitely right about joining the Fairmont President's Club, it is worth it in all the added benefits.

We look forward to having you back later in the year, thank you again for taking the time to review!

6 star getaway
Phenomenal service and guest rooms
6th floor Gold stay a must!!!!!
Rolli and Anna Maria as well as the entire staff on the 6th floor will make your stay a memorable one Highly recommend

3  Thank Dominick L

Dear Dominick L,

Thank you for taking the time to again review your vacation, it was great to have you back with us in sunny Bermuda! Fairmont Gold is always awesome, and I will certainly pass your praises on to their team.

We look forward to having you back on vacation with us again soon!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Travelled with my daughter and granddaughter and always felt extremely safe no matter where we travelled in Bermuda. Fairmont Southampton is the place to stay. Staff are extremely welcoming, courteous and accommodating. Good Friday was quite a celebration. Gombey dancers, drummers, an afternoon at Horseshoe Bay...absolutely fabulous day. What a way to spend my b'day!

1  Thank Wendy M

Dear Wendy,

Happy belated! I'm very pleased to hear your birthday vacation with your daughter & granddaughter was such a success! Our Good Friday celebrations are quite extraordinary, and I am glad you were able to enjoy them all. Most importantly, I am glad that you three ladies felt safe everywhere in Bermuda - a very important element of exploring a new place.

Thank you so much for the glowing review, and we hope to welcome you 3 back again soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Upon arriving at The Fairmont Southampton I was pleasantly suprised with the greeting and outstanding service of Nick. This guy seemed to know exactly what I wanted and was there waiting with the solution. I was very impressed with him and that set the tone for the rest of my stay. I had been to Bermuda 25 years ago and I always thought that once I returned I would stay at Southampton Princess. The hotel was everything I expected and the service was excellent. Everyone treated me like I was royalty. The check in process was great. I was upgraded to the Gold Floor and was escorted to the sixth floor expeditiously. The conceirge was great she welcomed and showed me around the lounge and explained everything in a professional manor. I was blown away with everything. The service is unapproachable and the food, drinks, hor' dourves, and breakfast was excellent. The room was very comfortable and the view was outstanding. I will never forget this experience. I rated this hotel this way because it exceeded my expectation in every way. Thanks my princess!!!

Room Tip: The sixth floor facing the ocean
1  Thank JPOWELL722

Dear JPOWELL722,

Thank you for taking the time to share aout your recent experience. You are 100% right, Nick greeting you at the door is guaranteed to put a smile on your face & I'm glad it reminded you of our old-school hospitality! Fairmont Gold is fantastic, and it sounds like you enjoyed the experience! I am so glad you had such a good time, and on behalf of The Fairmont Southampton, you're very welcome!

We hope you don't stay away for another 25 years this time! Hopefully, we'll see you again soon!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Love the Fairmont Southampton! The staff is so friendly and the location is great. Can't get enough of Horseshoe Bay beach.The trolly service makes it easy to get to the beaches. Jasmine and Bacci had great food. Great family vacation, very relaxing!

Dear Tracy T.,

Thanks for your review - I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel. All family vacations should be relaxing, so I am thrilled we helped along the way.

Best Regards,

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had a great week here. Stayed w/ my wife and 3 kids. We got a suite, which I would not recommend. The room was quite nice but the suite was essentially a normal room plus a second equal size room converted to a living room, but w/ you sleeping arrangements. Nornally when I get a suite I hope to be able to spread us out, sleeping wise, over two rooms, but we were still crammed into the one room.

Other than that it was great, but like others have said, it's crazy expensive. I almost fainted when I got the bill. But Bermuda is expensive overall.

We ate one night at the ocean club. I do not recommend. Portions were so small and it was so expensive I found it a little humorous, and irritiating.

The beach is the best. It's easy walking distance to the famous horseshoe beach which is rated one of the top beaches in the world. The hotel beach itself is fantastic. You can also walk to Long Beach (I think that's what it's called) which is the beach w/ the pinkest sand. Just know, though, that the beach is a trolley ride away, or a short walk. The grounds are huge and on top of a hill, and the beach is not very close.

Pool was nice but I thought a little small for the hotel.

The location is great. We visited the sister hotel in Hamilton and I'm glad I picked this one. Best beaches and you can easily get to Hamilton or St George for half a day if you're interested.

1  Thank saratogamike

Thank you, Mike, for taking the time to post a review of your family vacation to Bermuda. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and the beach on-property and beaches nearby.

To clarify about our suites, one bedroom suites are one bedroom (450 sq ft) plus a living room area (450 sq ft) with a pull-out couch. It sounds like next time, your family would be more comfortable booking 2 connecting guest rooms instead (giving you the same space, but 2 sets of sleeping rooms).

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the portion sizes at Ocean Club, I have sent this through to our Food & Beverage Management to review and address.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope your family decides to visit sunny Bermuda again one day.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton Parish
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 5 in Paget Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!