“Very family-friendly hotel.”

Fairmont Southampton
“Very family-friendly hotel.”
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

This grand hotel is at a great location in Southampton. The ocean view rooms are terrific, and the cool ocean breeze is surprisingly refreshing during the wintertime. Do your homework if you want to stay during the wintertime as this hotel's offerings differ from the spring, summer and fall months. The golf course is especially nice and well-maintained.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank misty920
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your quick review, we appreciate it! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our Turtle Hill Golf Club, and found the property to be family friendly. We hope to welcome you back again to Bermuda in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (990)
  • Polish first
Moncton
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This hotel has everything you could ask of a resort. An excellent spa with views overlooking the ocean, a golf course, a private beach (which is very rare for Bermuda), a night club, multiple restaurants and lounges, an extensive property, and both an indoor and outdoor pool. The indoor pool is part of the spa during the day, but after 6:30pm it opens for general guest use. There is also a pay option for jetski tours departing from the hotel as well. The property is huge, but there are trolley shuttles that go around the resort constantly. The beach is sandy and pink, with chairs readily available. You cannot book a cabana at this hotel, so get to the beach early if you want a chair with some shade. There is towel service, washrooms, and lockers at the beach, as well as a canteen serving drinks and basic beach food. The rooms have private balconies, and are very spacious, but could use some updating. On the lower level of the hotel is a games room for kids, if there's a rainy day. The Sunday Brunch buffet is spectacular, and I have dreams about their Bermuda Fish Chowder! The hotel is pretty far from most tourist sites, aside from Gibbs lighthouse, but there is a yacht shuttle that goes back and forth between this hotel and their sister property- the Fairmont Hamilton Princess. The shuttle is included in your resort fees, and that hotel is only 5 mins walk from downtown and the ferry terminal. Overall is was a very relaxing, very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: The ocean view is quieter, but the harbour view is cheaper and gives you more of a Bermudian view. W...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your visit. The hotel is doing some renovating to our guest rooms, so hopefully upon your next stay you will be pleasantly surprised with the upgrades we have completed! It sounds like you had a great, relaxing stay where you experienced a lot of the great aspects of the hotel and Bermuda. Thank you again for your kind words.
Boston MA
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We planned on leaving the hotel during our weekend stay, but never did. We did go to happy hour at their sister hotel the fairmont princess and found it to be a wonderful value. $5 drinks and food. We loved the beach and thought the waitresses were very efficient.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank 659Loved
It's great to hear that you had such a great time on-property that you never had to leave! We look forward to welcoming you back to Bermuda again soon.
Montreal
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I returned to the Fairmont Southampton and loved everything about my second stay! I read some reviews before writing mine and wonder what some people are expecting when they stay in a hotel. I expect the employees to be professional and courteous, the room to be clean and to enjoy the perks of that hotel. The Fairmont hit on all three.

Employees:
Everyone is really nice and professional. Bermudians are not Americans...they are not as friendly as Americans. I find them to be more reserved but extremely nice. If you expect a long and personal conversation with the employee, you will be disappointed. They are professional and not there to socialize with the clients, but they are there to work...and that is what I expect from them. I read about the Jasmine lounge and its employees about there being no service and I disagree so much! They let you sit and they never gang up on you. If they are doing something, they finish it and then come and see you. Daisy and Patricia were the two that stood out.

Restaurants:
The food is good...it is not gastronomy but it is one of the best pizza I ever ate! The soups are also incredible. I ate there and in Newport. Both are very good. Some people said that it was indecent the price paid for breakfast in Windows but there is another option they could have chosen. There is breakfast on the go in Jasmine where you can eat under 10$. I had bagels and cream cheese there. You have to grill it yourself but I can manage to put a bagel in a toaster even on vacation:)

Room:
Some reviewers talked about the wear and tear. For me, it is completely normal when you have hundreds of people going through the room for it to have a little usage. They can't change the carpet every time someone spills a little something on it! I had a harbor view and love it. It is more quiet than an ocean view and I prefer quiet to the view. There is a large balcony where I sat there just enjoying the room. Since it is encased, you have no one seated next to you and you never hear anything if you have people next to your room being loud on the balcony. My room was cleaned every day. I made a great use of the walkin closet!!! I am used to staying in New York hotel rooms so the room for me was huge!!!

Perks:
Fairmont has the best loyalty program out there. I am a platinum member because of my American Express and had so may perks, it was incredible! I had a free massage, which costs at least 200$ with the gratuities, I also had 150$ to use at the restaurants or in the spa. I had already received a 25$ Saks card by mail. I have not seen so many perks out there in loyalty programs. My flight out was cancelled and pushed back one day....I know...I know...it is awful being stuck in Bermuda an extra day....and the front desk employee told me that if I needed to call 1-800 numbers to reschedule everything that they would reverse the charges. It cost 130$ in calls and they reversed everything! They honored the price I was paying even if the price had gone up since I had booked. I did not even have to ask him, he volunteered that he would leave the price as it was.

All in all.....I loved my stay there! The trolley takes you to bus stops and the beach. You don,t have to walk down or up the steep hills and you get to enjoy the wonderful view from the hotel. You have the private beach and Horseshoebay next to it. Both are beautiful.

Going in January is ideal for me....I booked through a special where the rooms were half price. The lowest category went for 145$ a night. The hotel is quiet...the beach is almost empty and it doesn't cost that much. The water is cold but I don't mind.

It is one of my favorite hotels and one of my favorite destinations....I highly recommend both! I am pretty sure I will see them next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank cricri7
Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent vacation, and for detailing each area. TripAdvisor is a great way for us to hear from all of our guests about their various opinions, and we appreciate the time it takes everyone to share their thoughts.

I am glad you found the employees to be pleasant, but respectful of your personal boundaries. It's great that you enjoyed the food at Jasmine & The Newport, a Gastropub. The harbour view is a gorgeous option! The hotel is currently renovating some of our rooms to address wear and tear issues and to update the decor. Those closets are seriously huge - glad you enjoyed! It is fantastic you were able to take advantage of your great FPC perks, and it sounds like you had an exceptional vacation! We look forward to welcoming you back again next year!
Willemstad, Curacao
Reviewed January 15, 2014

i spent three nights at the fairmont Southampton and this hotel is everything the ads says it is.The food was great,the restaurant staff are very friendly and helps you to make choices and always mentions what the specials are for the meal.The Merlot is imaginable,great food,great ambiance and the manager there always checks the tables to ensure that you are having a great experience.The island of Bermuda itself is magical,its like a fairytale island and the people are so friendly that you feel right at home the moment you land there.I surely will visit again and stay at the fairmont,again.Great hotel.

Room Tip: stay on the gold floor
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Joseph A
You know you've had a special vacation when you call Bermuda "magical" and a "fairytale island" - wow, thank you so much for your kind kudos. It sounds like you had a great 3 night visit with us, and I hope that we will welcome you back to "magical" Bermuda again soon! Thank you again for your review.
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Southampton is a beautiful hotel with picturesque views and a great golf corse. The food was so so along with the service in the restaurant. I was very charmed by the service of one particular bellhop, his name was Jay, such a pleasant gentleman, he was alway looking out for our interest, the Management should curve their staffs training around him.
All in all a great experience, we will return again.

Room Tip: level 5 and up are nice, I believe they where renovated recently due to a hurricaine.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jason S
Thank you for your thoughts about your recent stay, I am happy to hear you enjoyed the golf course. I am glad you had a good experience with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

This was our first visit to Bermuda and we stayed at the Southampton because the reviews were so good and we thought it would be fairly central to get around to other places, i.e. the beaches and into Hamilton. It was unfortunate that the weather over the Christmas period was a bit disappointing and almost everywhere was shut so at first we felt at a loose end. The hotel was very busy and this gave it a good buzz and the service was excellent although they we thought it was disappointing that they didn't have more of their restaurants open. We dined twice at The Waterlot Inn and the food,wines and service were very good if a bit expensive. The Jasmine Lounge had a great atmosphere and variety of foods on offer but struggled sometimes with the number of customers. Our order got lost but having said that the manager then put things right very quickly.
I can't remember staying anywhere where the staff were so genuinely friendly and helpful not just in the hotel but in the whole resort, including the trolley bus drivers. The concierge floor was an excellent experience and well worth the extra cost our only poor experience was noise from neighbouring rooms where people had their tv's on so loud late into the night.
The ferry service over to Hamilton was really useful and quite scenic in the evening with the sunset and backdrop of Gibbs Lighthouse. The Naval Dockyard was a great day out and there was enough in the museum to occupy a full day. We also really enjoyed walking the Railway Trail and the stretch between Southampton and Somerset village was particularly scenic.

Room Tip: Well worth booking a room on the concierge floor as the extras and service in the concierge lounge w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Carol M
Thank you for sharing about your Christmas escape to Bermuda! It sounds like you had a great time despite the weather, and I am thrilled to hear that it was the friendly, caring service that made your stay so fantastic. I am glad you fell into the swing of exploring Bermuda during your visit, and it sounds like you had a great time on Fairmont Gold! Thank you for posting here on TripAdvisor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton Parish
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!