“Nice Property...but has some limitations”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Fairmont Southampton. The property is very luxurious and probably the best on the island. The rooms are larger than normal (we stayed in a Jr Suite which was quite large with two separate rooms and two tvs). You will not be disappointed with the property. My only complaint is the service, while incredibly friendly, was lacking attention to details. Some days our coffee bar supplies were not replenished, some days we got fresh water bottles other days we did not, one day they were out of fresh wash cloths, etc. This was a minor inconvenience, but it keeps it from being a 5 star property in my opinion. You are far from Hamilton here ($25 taxi ride each way with tip), so if you want to walk places, this is not your hotel. There is a scooter rental place on the property which was a great way to get around the island (they rent by the day). We just treated the scooter like a rental car and parked it overnight each night at the hotel. All in all, very nice hotel and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for the views. The Jr Suites are not much more per night and are huge two r...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am pleased to hear you found the property luxurious and enjoyed your spacious room. I am glad that you found the service friendly, but apologise for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I have sent this on to our Operations Team as an example of how we can continue to improve our service. I am glad you enjoyed your scooter rental and were able to explore the island! Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Fairmont Southampton

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We recently returned from a week at the Fairmont Southampton staying on the Gold club floor. The holiday was to celebrate our 50th birthdays and our 25th wedding anniversary and we could not have chosen a better hotel to do this. The Gold floor staff are truly fantastic and we especially remember Kim and Jolly, although everyone there was great - friendly and nothing was too much trouble for anyone. Our room was lovely, large, comfortable and with great views. The restaurants we tried were all good but particularly memorable was Ocean Club. The beach is beautiful with great facilities, although not always tidied up, with some sun shades lying covered in sand. The server at the beach was always friendly and helpful. We also enjoyed the golf course, playing every afternoon and were always made to feel welcome by the great staff there, especially the lady at the desk - she is fantastic.
The only downside to Bermuda is how eye-wateringly expensive everything is!!

Room Tip: Highest floor possible for best views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2013

If you're looking for the hotel to blow your mind in the way that a SUPER LUXURY hotel would this may not be your place. If you're looking for a very nice hotel with a good variety of restaurants a decent pool and spa and AMAZING beaches just a quick trolley away, then this is your place. I went here w/ my parents and Boyfriend in the middle of October and stayed 4 nights while my parents stayed 5.

Pros: Even though you're not ON the beach the hotel offers great views, a VERY reliable trolley system that escorts you to various Fairmont restaurants, and the best beach Horse Shoe Bay Beach as well as the private beach that is open to Fairmont residents. Everyone working there is nice and helpful and gave both my parents and I free upgrades to rooms with views. Join the Presidents Club for free Internet!! The indoor pool is open to all PAST 6:30pm BUT the indoor pool requires a 35$ a day fee if you want to use it BEFORE that time. Horseshoe Bay Beach was AMAZING all the hype is true and SO convenient to get to from the hotel! Both Waterlott Inn and Ocean Club blew my mind VERY great places for food and w/ Ocean Club go to see the sunset its amazing!

Cons: The hotel isn't THAT gorgeous I wasn't blown away (but I've been very spoiled in my travels!!) My parents who have not been as spoiled thought it was the "best place they've ever been to". Spa is overpriced for what it is feels like any other American spa, Breakfast is EXTREMELY overpriced for what it is, 31$ for buffet plus 17% service charge. The prices are over the top for food but that is as it is with any resort. My biggest turn off was the 62$ a day we had to pay PER NIGHT at the end for our room (my boyfriend and I) my parents had to pay 62$ a night as well (22 per person for gratuities, 20$ Island tax PER night) being that our rooms were of a low price it was fine but I wish they weren't so discrete about this charge. Traveling around Bermuda requires an overpriced taxi or a bus that is something out of the 7th ring of hell I do NOT recommend leaving the resort for the caves we did so and regretted it, STAY ON THE RESORT!! Bring cash so that you can eat at Horseshoe Bay beach and not the Fairmont food shack on their beach w/hich is very good but double the price.

If you want to save money skip breakfast, eliminate alcohol and appetizers. If you REALLY want to save money bring along raman packets and make that for meals using the coffee maker hot water in your room. Haha! Just kidding! That would be like something out of Extreme Cheapskates! But when you view your bill at the end you may wish you had done so! If you're staying for 4 nights and you're taking 2 other people out at times and you're also eating at Waterlott Inn expect your bill to be around $1,300 IN ADDITION to what you paid for the room so maybe around 2gs. This would also include snorkeling/room service.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if available, Harbor facing rooms are nice!! higher the floor the better!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank SarahEramo
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for sharing such a detailed review of your family trip to Bermuda. I am glad you all enjoyed yourselves, particularly your parents. I am sure other TripAdvisor travelers will find all your tips very useful!

The cost of food in Bermuda is a reflection of operating on an island where all food must be flown in from abroad. I am sorry you did not feel that the taxes, gratuities and resort levy were not clear during your booking process - our website spells it out quite thoroughly, but I am not sure how you booked. To clear up any confusion, there is an $11 Resort levy per-person daily ($12.07 after taxes) which covers trolley transportation, ferry transfers, golf club storage/cleaning, beach/pool services (towels, umbrellas, lockers, fruit, etc). Gratuities are based on the room-type and are per-person per-day charges that cover room attendants, bellmen/doormen, beach/pool attendants, and function/setup crew. Our taxes are set at 9.75% which breaks down to 7.25% hotel occupancy tax & 2.5% Guest Tourism Fee. While these numbers are subject to change, this should give you a better idea of what you were paying for.

Our public bus system is both safe and reliable, but there are also taxis that you can use to get around, although as you note they can add up quickly. There are plenty of people like yourself that have a great time staying on-property, with others loving the freedom & flexibility of renting a moped.

Thank you again for posting about your vacation, and we hope to welcome you back again soon for another family trip.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had traveled to Bermuda twice by boat and wanted more of this incredible island. So of course we came to Trip Advisor to see where we should stay for our Bermuda vacation. All signs pointed to this wonderful hotel. It was our first time staying at a Fairmont property, but will most definately NOT be our last.

From the moment we checked in we were treated like we were their only guests. Someone had caught wind that we were celebrating our 15th wedding anniversary, and from then on we were sprinkled with little gifts throughout our stay. First with a room upgrade; then a beautiful bottle of Prosecco and chocolate covered strawberries. After a romantic anniversary dinner, the Server brought us a little anniversary cake for dessert! On another evening the band in the lounge even played our wedding song and had us come up and dance to it. Just amazing.

This property is beautifully maintained, lush and tropical, and the staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpful. Everyone greets you with smiles, and the word "no" doesn't ever come out of their mouths. The rooms are huge, and have stunning golf course or ocean/harbor views. The balconies are enormous. There's plenty of room to spread out, and our room even had a walk in closet with a chest of drawers in it.

A perk to booking the Southampton Fairmont is receving dual privileges over at the Hamilton Princess. You can use your room charge at that property as well. The ferries between properties are free and the busses/trollies taking you anywhere you need to go. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a trolley or bus. It couldn't be easier to get around property and around Bermuda. They even have a scooter and bike rental right there on premise.

We also had the pleasure of using the Spa area which boasts some of the most amazing views in all of Bermuda, and the indoor pools and jaccuzzies up there are equally amazing.

The food was wonderful. I NEVER had a bad meal while here, and we ate at almost all of the restaurants. There is something for everyone on the menu; Even spa/healthy/vegan/heart-healthy options. We had some of the best burgers we've ever had there, and the drinks were great too.

We just can't say enough about this Property. We cannot WAIT to go back!! Next time we will bring the kids!

Room Tip: higher floors have the best views. The ocean/golf view was amazing, but we wouldn't mind a har...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bradroxi

It's so nice to hear from people who have chosen to fly rather than cruise to Bermuda, I am so thrilled your third vacation was such a success! It sounds like you were given the royal treatment during your anniversary holiday, which is just the way it should be!

The property is truly stunning, we agree, there is so much and green sprinkled with gorgeous flora! I'm glad you had such a great experience, and it sounds like you really explored Hamilton, the Spa, the restaurants and all the amenities! We can't wait to have you both back, along with the kids next time! Thank you again for the glowing review!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Supposed to be the best place to stay in Bermuda, but my closet smelled of mildew and staff was mostly but not all friendly. The food is terrific. To get to the beach you have to take a bus down. The concierges were great. I played golf all three days there and they were excellent about arranging tee times.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for the review - I'm glad you enjoyed the food and the beach and found the concierge helpful. I apologise if you experienced any housekeeping irregularities, I will follow up with the Management. Thank you again for posting, and I hope your next stay is even better.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here for the 2013 Island Games in Bermuda. We had a few days where we could explore the grounds and relax in the hotel between events. The facilities where really good, rooms really homely and just an all round good standard of cleanliness. The staff were really helpful, especially our room maid who always had time to have a chat and recommend places to visit and give advice. We ate several times in the Hotel and everywhere we ate was amazing, would reccomend the restaurant with balcony overlooking the beach, chilled vibes and quick service. The two staff who stood out where obviously our room made, and the security guy on the beach!

Room Tip: Beach is always mobbed, so i'd go early.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you Daniel for posting about your Island Games experience, it's great to hear from the athletes that stayed with us and I'm glad that you had such a good time. It sounds like you made the most of your relaxation time, and it's good to hear you enjoyed Ocean Club restaurant. We hope the next time you visit, you'll get more time to explore Bermuda - thanks again for your kind words!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Bermuda, now that I've been to the Fairmont. The staff is exceptional, the food at all the restaurants is excellent, and the beds are extremely comfortable. Also, I have never had a better massage than at the Willow Stream Spa. I've only gone in the off season, so the value is also excellent. I gather the prices are higher otherwise.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 50D1021

Your loyalty means so much to us - thank you for sharing! There are lots of great deals year-round, if you keep your eyes peeled! I hope you visit with us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!