“Beautiful Luxury Hotel”

Fairmont Southampton
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful Luxury Hotel”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton from Oct 1 - 6, 2013 and it was truly delightful. The rooms are modern and clean, and the staff treat you like family. The private beach was amazing and there is access to Horseshoe Beach next door(Rated in the top 25 beaches in the world). The pool area is nice with lots of lounge chairs, food and drink service as well. The Bacci, Waterlot Inn, and Ocean Club restaurants are all first rate and service was great. There are tolly buses running every 15 minutes to the beach and all restaurants, and there is a free ferry that runs between both Fairmont hotels that will take you to Hamilton for shopping. The grounds and golf course are immaculate. With the 3rd night free on right now it actually brings this hotel into the affordable range at $300-$450US. I did my homework and this is the best deal in Bermuda.

Room Tip: Spend the money and go with a Deluxe room on a high floor with a view of the harbour or ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you, Greg, for taking the time to review! I am so glad you enjoyed your recent visit, particularly the friendly staff! It sounds like you had a good time swimming, dining, and exploring - and it always feels best when you get a great deal! I am so glad you felt the trip was good value, and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,005)
  • Polish first
Cape Cod
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor and my husband and I vacation every year. This year we stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda for our 10 year anniversary.

The Good - The Hotel Staff - they were friendly and helpful, Free shuttle service to the Beach/Ocean Club and the Waterlot, Breakfast was a either a buffet or order from a menu (but expensive), Free Ferry Service to Hamilton 3x per day from the Waterlot, and the Spa Service (although also expensive, but its a resort, so what do you expect.)

The Bad - We booked on line and selected an Ocena view/King bed. room It is our anniversary after all. When we arrived, the front desk told us they guarantee the room type (Ocean View), but not the bed type, so we ended up with 2 Queens (not very romantic). Eventually we had our room moved after 2 nights. In the new room, the coffee maker was broken. I called housekeeping 3-4 times and no one replaced it, so no coffee in the morning for us. The restaurant hours on the property are very limited. The restaurants are either open in the morning, the afternoon or the night. The only restaurant opened the entire day is the hotel lobby bar. The pool - not resort like at all. It's pretty much just a small pool on the property with a restaurant next to it, that does not really service to the pool patrons. The AC/Fan in the room - If you are someone who either needs a fan or complete silence to sleep, you will get neither The fan turns on and off as the room temp changes so it keeps you up all night.

Ugly - Management. The management made a decision to close the pool at 4 due to a conference at the hotel that did not start their event until 6 or so - and the event did not have food or require any special set up. In addition, there is a 2nd floor large balancy at the hotel that over looks the pool where the conference attendees could have met. That day, we arrived at pool at 3, it closed at 4, we had to get on a shuttle ot go to the beach and the cabana bar closed at 5 and the Ocent club bar did not open until 6. From what we experienced, the hotel managmenet's focus is on conferences/events over hotel guests. In addition, when we had the room issue, the staff at the front desk would obtain our issue and then go behind the front desk office to talk to the Manager and then come back out. This went on 3-4 times. It finally got to the point where I requested the Manager come out from the office and talk with me directly.

Anyway, take this review for what it is worth....we enjoyed Bermuda, but we would not recommend staying at the Farimont Southampton for an anniversary or honeymoon.....maybe if your company is looking for a place to hold a conference, it is the place to stay.

3 Thank Mikki M
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Fairmont Southampton. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the friendly service, the trolleys and ferrys, and also the Spa. I am sorry to hear you did not get the bed type you had hoped for, but I am glad that they were able to switch you to a King room later in the trip.

To clarify about restaurant hours, it varies by the season. Since you were here in October, our restaurants were operating on a shoulder season schedule, with a breakfast/brunch restaurant, an all-day lobby lounge, outdoor pool service throughout the day, bar service on the beach, a beach seafood restaurant, an award-winning steakhouse, and a gastropub open for dinner. I am sorry to hear you did not feel these options were adequate. I also want to sincerely apologise that you had issues with your coffee maker and your AC in your room, and I will follow up with our housekeeping team to ensure that in the future, calls like yours are dealt with in a more expedient manner.

Thank you for your feedback regarding a private function that was held at the Resort pool, rendering it closed to other patrons. When we host events there, we have to give our setup team a few hours to get the space ready, but I understand this was inconvenient to you and I apologise. We value all of our guests the same, and I am very sorry to hear you feel that your stay was overshadowed by the group that held the party at the pool. I have sent this review on to our entire management team to ensure they are aware of guest concerns.

I want to reply, however, about the manager at the front desk: we try to empower our colleagues to take responsibility for our guests and to make critical decisions, but sometimes they need to confer with a supervisor - neither the colleague nor the manager was trying to slight you in the situation you mentioned on the Front Desk, and I am sorry if you felt that was not better explained to you in the moment.

Thank you again for your candid comments, and I hope you will reconsider the way you feel and try us again on another Bermuda visit.
New York
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton with my boyfriend and his family in August. We had a lovely time. The surf shop is great, the food is excellent, and the views were amazing. Our only problem with service was on a day that it was raining pretty hard. So we went down to the front desk to ask if we could rent a DVD from them. They told us that their selection was scarce, so we could go up to ask the club if they had any DVDs. We did that, and the woman at the club front desk seemed very entitled. We understand that only club members can use club facilities, but the way she spoke to us was borderline rude.

Food at the property is amazing. I'm gluten intolerant and there were so many options that I could get. I had my first grilled cheese sandwich at the Fairmont property since I was diagnosed, and it was amazing!!! I must have ordered at least 5 of them during our stay.

Housekeeping did an amazing job. Our room was thoroughly clean every day.

Just keep in mind that the Fairmont beach is a little on the small side, so it gets very crowded. You might want to rent a moped and travel around Bermuda to see the different beaches out there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimmie2545
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I am so glad you had a lovely time, and want to apologise for any rude behaviour you might have encountered. This is not acceptable, and I have informed the manager of the area of this incident. I also apologise for any flaws you found in your room, but it sounds as if it did not detract from your enjoyment of the vacation.

I am so thrilled to hear that our chefs were able to cater to your gluten intolerant diet. Our culinary teams are passionate about providing healthy, flavourful food that accommodates our guests desires and needs, so I will pass along the grilled cheese kudos! Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope to welcome you back again to Bermuda soon!
katonah, new york
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for five days in October and had wonderful weather, wonderful accommodations and wonderful service. The beach is beautiful as well. It is worth it to upgrade to the Gold Club on the sixth floor because that includes tea in the afternoon, happy hour in the early evening, cookies and coffee at night, as well as a extensive breakfast in very intimate cozy surroundings. and the sixth floor has it own concierge. A truly wonderful vacation experience!

Room Tip: all rooms face the water (either the ocean or the bay) but upgrade to the sixth floor for the most l...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
East Gore
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This place aims to please. The rooms are good in size and every room has a good view. There's a shuttle to a gorgeous private beach with the most clear water I have ever seen. Theres also a boat that will take you to Hamilton. The pool area is perfect for an all day layout or a late night swim.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Branford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 6, 2013

There is so much to say, but will keep it brief. My wife and were suppose to go to Turkey. Because of my travel date with work, we decided to postpone a trip to Turkey with my wife that we had plans for almost a year. My wife made plans to visit Bermuda and stay at the Fairmont Southampton. Now full discloser is that I am in the hotel industry, so I take notice to every detail in the hotel.

We landed from NY at 3pm in Bermuda. We grab a cab and took a 25min ride to the hotel.

Note: I have been to 38 other countries and the flight from NY is only 1:39 mins from LGA. I have never been to Bermuda. My wife is from San Juan PR so why come here and have to spend money on a hotel.

Let me continue....

The cab pulls up and a tall young man opens the door with the biggest smile ever. Haven't even gotten out of the cab yet. Keep in mind my mind hasn't relaxed yet from Hotel thinking yet so I am ready to test the service.

Bellmen

Greeted, smiled, gave directions to check in, where to go and told me to enjoy the island and the bags will be up after check in. Everytime we saw the bellman they were happy to see you and always asked if they could help.

Check in:

Smiled, smiled, smiled, greeted me and didn't say" checking in?". They asked how I was and how could they be of service.
WOW.... They said my last name 3 times with a smile, all front desk staff went above their service duties to make sure my check in was smooth and a positive experience. This includes PBX too.

The room:

Perfect, the room was clean, bathroom clean, room was large, smelled clean and it was heaven. I use my 4 senses when entering the room. ( still in my work mode)
Touch- nothing was dirty
Sight- nothing looked dirty or was out of place
Hearing- No loud noise that would disturb me during my stay
Smell- Room smelled fresh and Clean.

The clean:

Cindi, our room attendant was the greatest. She smiled , said good morning everyday, asked if there was anything that she could do the make our experience better. the room was clean very time we walked back from the beach.

( keep in mind now I have been in the hotel business 25 years and and this vacation will be the first time since my honeymoon 15+ years is the first time its just my wife and I. Not my parents, brother, sister, son, friends, etc... with us)

The Food:

Outstanding, large plates, and pricing wasn't too outrageous. It was every time, in every outlet of the hotel. Very consist and friendly staff. Alex was great in the dinning room. Dined many times in the hotel

The Beach:

Simple to get there , many options, clean and no one is trying to sell you something....

The overall Staff:

Let me say dealing with the public is hard in hotels ( especially New Yorkers or East coast people) I can say this as I am from NY and we as New Yorkers know we are very demanding. Some guests are just hard to deal with, and frankly are just unhappy and want to give their negative energy to someone who is happy. Well this staff, no way. From the bellman, front desk, trolly driver, hskping, engineering, Sue Cooper in the Executive Offices, to the beach guy taking drink orders they were on stage performing like a broadway hit show.

To wrap it up:

Every hotel room is the same in the world when you close your eyes at night, no matter if you are staying in Super 8, a Marriott, or the Fairmont in Bermuda, IT'S DARK.

The difference is SERVICE and the staff at this hotel gets it, knows it, and because of it, they have created a Raving Fan.

I also want to point out that because of this experience that my wife and I had during the week of oct 23th-28th, I am coming back. This is how important service to me is. I could go to San Juan for free, like I have for the past 15+ years.

Yes, when I went home and told my 14 year old son about this, he said dad can we do a boy's weekend just the 2 of us, no mom.

Keep in mind that being in the industry I could stay places at a very, very discounted rate, but not at this hotel, I paid full price. It was worth every penny.

Because of the STAFF and the SERVICE, I have booked my trip to come back to Fairmonth Southampton Nov 2th-5th with my son.

I look forward to walking into this hotel and showing my son how great the staff is and enjoying a quick get away with my son before he doesn't think parents are cool to hang out with.

Thank you again Fairmonth Southampton Staff!!!

I can't say enough.

Tom and Geraldine Sullivan

3 Thank thomasjsullivan
Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting such a fantastic review, we love hearing from discerning travelers like yourself! I have sent your review on to our entire staff, who were all thrilled that their hard work had been recognised - so thank you. Service is something we take very seriously, and I am glad it showed to you. We look forward to welcoming you back to beautiful Bermuda with your son, if you need any advice on things to do while you're down, feel free to email me at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com. Thank you again, Mr & Mrs Sullivan, for your very kind words.
Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stayed on the Gold Floor for a week mid-Sept. Special thanks to Robin and Lu as well as Rolly and the guys in the lounge. The Gold Floor was a great deal for two friends traveling together, my only complaint was that the weather was kind of unpredictable, but that's obviously not the hotel's fault. There are trolleys for free, one to the beach and to Horseshoe Bay (which has beautiful coves) and Bacci/beach restaurants, and one to Waterlot restaurant and the dock to the free ferry. The ferry runs 3X each day to the Fairmont Hamilton, which is also lovely.
We ate at Waterlot, Jasmine, Bacci, the Cabana, and Wickets - the Cabana wasn't amazing, but it's a beach bar, so I didn't expect much. The private beach wasn't that crowded, but even if it was, its big enough not to matter and there are other beaches next door. Portofino in Hamilton and Pickle & Onion bar were fun. $20 cab ride into Hamilton, $40 to the airport. They also have a shared shuttle. I can't really say enough about this place, our first room was noisy since it was next to the elevator, and they quickly moved us. The housekeeping staff was quite professional - again, great experience. Very safe island, and yes, it's expensive if you drink lots and eat steak every night - and yes, a service charge is included. Never bothered us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!